How long does a single tank last?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walter:
Wasn't this covered in your class?

it probably was, but if he's like me, he forgot a good part of
what he was told rather quickly.

i learn by repeated exposure to the same material, and by
asking questions later, and there are quite a lot of people like
that out there.

just remember, not everyone learns the same way, nor do
we all have great memories.

If you're H2Andy 5 minutes, if you're Scuba Jenny 2 hours.

I agree with what all has been said.

Take your time in what you do in and on the water.

Been diving a little over a year and I can usually do 2 30-40 minute dives to 50' or so on a AL80 (starting at 3000psi) and end up with around 500-750. Also most of my dives are in quarries so the water at depth is cold....make you breath faster!

Good luck!!

Jeff

SmokeAire:
If you're H2Andy 5 minutes

alright, funnyman... i see you are overly sensitive to literary criticism...

also, five minutes is pathetically low, even for me... i can
make an AL80 last AT LEAST eight minutes at 40 feet,
and 12 is my record!!

new_english_padi_man:
Right here goes my 1st proper posting.
How long does a single tank of air last you? The reason I ask is my last couple of dives in the Red Sea, a tank only laasted me about 30 minutes, where other divers where getting nearly 1 hour.

Must be an english disease :wink: , i suffer the same. Just came back from the red sea where i did 6 dives, after submerging with 220 on the guage, came back up on 50, to ensure i was within the safety limits, divetimes averaged approx 30 minutes a dive (believe thats about 30.7 litres of air per minute), that varied in depths ranging between 10 and 15 metre dives. When i certified in OZ earlier this year, managed 45 minutes on a 6 metre drift...The wife however normally ends only using about a 3rd of a tank, coming up between 120-140 :11:

I had a chat with the nice people at dive point, Hurghada, and they believe with a Peak Buoyancy performance course (which i might do as part of PADI AOW crossover next year), and a few technical improvements in terms of my finning (slowing it down/being more measured), i should be able to increase my time to about 45 minutes. So that will be the next course i book..along with the Nitrox

Newbie, only certified this year..but managed 2 diving hols already :eyebrow: its addictive

Cheers

Jim
Wycombe, Bucks
SSI OW (tropical, blue and 28C as a min)

DandyDon: The guy started with 250 bar (~3750 psi), he didn't end with 250 psi.

New_English_Padi_Main: As other people have already said, your gas consumption will get down as you get a couple of dives under your belt.

However, I'd like to give a slightly different advice than some of the others -- DON'T focus on trying to reduce your breathing ("breath through a straw" etc). Instead, focus on being relaxed and breathe in the way that feels most comfortable for you. Skip-breathing (or breathing too little) can be a bad thing; there is no competition on who does the longest dive or who comes out of the water with most gas left.

Just relax and enjoy your dive. The consumption will go down automatically.

Peo:
there is no competition on who does the longest dive or who comes out of the water with most gas left.

I agree no competition... But why does everyone ask me when we exit how much air I had left and then tell me theirs, lol.

To be honest I think that's your air consumption is too big. Even at the beginning the Egyptian tanks (80cufts) - 200 bar - lasted for something like 45 minutes. Now it lasts for 70 - 80 minutes. OK, I''m a woman but you really should work on the air consumption. Try to reduce weights, behave quiet uw and rlaxed.
Mania

Assuming you're comfortable in the water, your trim and bouyancy are good, you're properly weighted, not doing any unnecessary hard work, have overcome the physiologial response to the excitement of diving, are in good physical condition, don't smoke, and your kit is all well maintained, the only thing I might recommend is taking a minute before descending to relax and catch your breath. I find that if I start a dive relaxed, I'm much better off than if I'm already sucking gas as I head down the descent line.

OK, I am not a streamlined torpedo by any means: 6' tall, 250 lbs. Last weekend, the two dives I did was one dive of about 45 minutes, primarily to and at 60' , started with 2900 psi, out of the water with 845 psi in an AL80. The other was a multilevel, about 15 minutes at 85-90 feet, 15 minutes total about 55' and 20 minutes at 25-30' and the last 5 minutes at 20'. I started with 2850 psi, out of the water with 425 psi in an AL80. I also carry a AL40 pony in preparation for the ocean next year. (increased drag)

I am a very new diver, only underwater a total of 30 times including the 5 training pool dives. One of the things I do is breathing exercises. They are part of relaxation techniques I have used for several years. All I do is practice slow, regular breathing. Slow in and slow out. Don't hold your breath, and don't take large, uncomfortable breaths while trying to relax.

Most of all, relax and have fun. If you slow down your movements, you will conserve energy as well as air. You will be more calm, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom