How long does a single tank last?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think Kracken has been the only one to answer your question.

A tank last as long as it last for you, not someone else. Start tracking your air usage and learn how to figure out your SAC Rate. Once you know that you can then answer the question about how long "your" tank of air should last, and at what depth. Use that information to plan your dive.

SAC rates will vary from diver to diver and from dive to dive. If your on a nice easy dive at a shallow depth your tank will last longer than it would if you were on the same dive depth but working against a current or swimming faster or if you at a new site your not familure or comfortable with.

I remember the first time I ever did a "dive." I was at a friends house and his father (an instructor) got out the dive equipment so I could try it out. Sitting at the bottom of the pool I used up a tank in about 20 minutes. Since I have been in training, I have been able to spend close to 2 hours underwater with plenty of air remaining.

I am doing my OW dives this weekend. We will see how well my air holds out when I enter the frigid Spring-fed water and I decend into the depths.

Andrew

Back
Top Bottom