How long does a single tank last?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lots of good advices on slow breathing and relax.
One other thing that could help your air consumption. Breath using your stomach. I used to breath using just my upper chest. Boy, did I go through the tank quick !!!.
Then I went to deeperblue.net. Learned alot about breathing.
Started to breath using my stomach, made a big diff.
Also, I am running now almost everyother day, and watch my breathing while running. Breathing by my stomach while running to. Improved my breathing and distance tremendously.
Give it a try.
Charles.

My few suggestions would be to try to use the same equipment setup each time, its a tough nut to crack buying everything but my air consumption got much better when I bought my BC,Reg,suit. It is now much more consistant. I also would try to swim with arms folded or holding shoulder straps on BC like a pair of overalls, the more you move and flail around the more oxygen will be used. Lastly I would watch your inflater, I heard each bump is 100-150 psi, practice inhailing and exhailing to control your accents/decents.

The next time you go diving make sure to record the pressure in your tank at the beginning and end of the dive and then do the following:

Formula for Surface Air Consumption Rate:

(((Pb-Pe) / Pb) x ((Pb/Pw) x V) / T) / ATA

Where:
Pb = Beginning Tank Pressure
Pe = Ending Tank Pressure
Pw = Nominal Tank Working Pressure
V = Nominal Tank Volume
T = Dive Time in Minutes
ATA = Average Dive Depth in Atmospheres

This formula will return your SAC at 1 ATA. You can then use the resulting SAC rate to estimate your breathing gas consumption at any depth by multiplying the estimated, average ATA for the planned dive.

itll come with experience, on my first dive after certification this summer i almost ran out of air but on the third dive of the trip which was 40 feet deeper i used 1000 psi less...you just have to control your brething, try taking 5 seconds on each inhale and 8 seconds on each exhale, and just make sure you dont hold your breath to keep you from using to much air becasue that will just create other (worse) problems

Hi,

As already said, lots of good advice on this thread and if you do a search you will find bucketloads more :wink: I'am also in SE London, Who did you learn with????

I have to say that Walters question is fair and I dont think you have had long enough to forget it yet (Sorry H2Andy) just my 2cents.

Anyway as already said you air use will get better with cofidence and experience :wink:

Do you dive in the UK or only Abroad??

And welcome to the best board in the world :eyebrow:

Mr Mares:
I have to say that Walters question is fair and I dont think you have had long enough to forget it yet (Sorry H2Andy) just my 2cents.

never understimate bad memory!!

:wink:

H2Andy:
never understimate bad memory!!

:wink:

Ok Ok...........

I was up a Oban a couple of weeks ago, force 5 blowing, Horizontal Rain :11: , Myself and Buddy decided to do a shore dive from the Puffin Jetty (floating pontoons), It was ruff, I wasnt comfortable with the conditions and preceded to slip on my Butt on the Jetty while putting my fins on. To rough to stand up again so entered from a sitting poistion, Got cramp in both legs and called the dive there and then.

What I was taught is simple, if I'am not happy don't do it.

This was really really stupid as there is a sheltered slipway we could have made an entry from :wink:

So there you go........................

Wow! This thread deserves a summation, but that would require my taking notes as I re-read the whole thing. I've mentioned elsewhere about my congenital laziness. My memory isn't good enough to do this assignment justice, so I shall only add my recent and few observations on my own learning.
I am fat. I am carrying an extra 40 kg, which requires that I carry extra lead. I am older now and find that that too causes me to use more air... The fitness will return as I successfully fight my laziness (but alas, the age won't go away, in fact more arrives as I write) - diving is primary! I do not smoke, but I apparently have very great lung volume, which helped me a lot when I was free diving. (The literature calls it breath-hold diving I guess.)
I found that I was focusing on the sound of my breathing, which caused me to breath more and faster, I was reminded of this same problem from years ago when I began running (I have long since quit running, but the knowledge still serves when it's transferrable), and the more I breathed the harder it got. This is even more true when breathing at depth, the one thing I noticed not mentioned, it's work to breath and the deeper you go the harder that work gets!
The finning from the hips suggestion, and the not using your arms suggestion too, are both great... but I forget this knowledge and have to self-correct often still. Which brings me to dynamic self correction; although we will do ourselves well by relaxing and enjoying the dive over attempting to mind every detail as we micro-manage our dives; it is a good idea, I find, to do an occassional self check, just as you remember to check your depth, your air, your heading, and other details, once this is habit, it shouldn't interfere with the joy of the dive.
The allusion to imaging your dive before your dive is a good one, rather yogic, and it works, imagine yourself breathing long, slow, and deep breaths before you even get your gear on, before entering the water, and as mentioned by a prior contributor, as you relax in the water before descending. RELAXING in the water before descending, saves me vast quantities of air due to my low fitness level. I can imagine that it will also save me air when I regain my fitness.
There was more I wanted to say, but this is getting rather long winded, my meme(ory) tree is fading, I'll have to revisit this discussion later with fresh thoughts.
-I still suck air like a champ too, but as I become more accustomed to being in the dive environment, I do notice improvement.

Tom

Not long enough!

Gotta say guys thanks for all the tips, I have had to prit them all off to re-read, some more info, I am about 100kilos so I need more weight, also I usually rent the reg, weights tank and full suit at the resort, I think the 5.5 mil in the red sea was too thick, and so I needed 14 kilos of weights....oh ah and I dont smoke
Also it seems like most new divers have the same experiance as me.
Think I should get down the pool and practice some now its winter, been a member of the local club a year and not been once :newbie:
The main tips seem to be practice breathing and get my own regulator.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom