How many of have ever lost or are worried of losing your dive mask!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wanted to know if anyone has lost their dive mask or is at least is worried of losing it. Especially when you are doing a shore dive. Normally you inflate the BC walk out get your fins on and kick out a bit with your mask clipped to your BC. If this sounds like your scenario than my question is for you!

I lost my mask a few months ago even though I had it clipped to my D ring. The reason I lost it was because I took it off to take a quick look at the viability before we got to the area we were going to drop down. I didn't want to have the mask on when we continued to kick out farther so I clipped it back on to my BC, at least I thought I did. In fact I did not clip the mask and therefore it became another bonus score for some lucky diver at La Jolla!!!
After that I found myself always checking and double checking to see that my mask was still clipped to me. It kind of got me thinking that there must be a better way of ensuring that the mask is not going anywhere. Especially since I like to take a peak while kicking out and I need to clip and unclip the mask several times.

It occurred to me that our Go Pro head strap leash works just just as well for a dive mask!
I wouldn't even think about using a go pro mask if I didn't have some type of leash, especially if was doing a shore dive and was going start out my dive by clipping it to my D ring. This leash works very well and I would like to offer those of you who would find this as a practical item on this forum to give a try.

Let me know if you think it is something you are interested in trying out and appeals to you. Especially those who like using some type of Go Pro mask ( Octomask or Go mask as an example) , I think this would really give you peace of mind.

https://www.zgearinc.com/

View attachment 195266View attachment 195267

I've lost masks but never during a dive, if that's what you mean.

I had one kicked off my head during a dive by another diver, and that experience makes me think that your lanyard might not be such a good idea. When the mask is fully off your head and you need to replace it, then I believe the lanyard will provide a complication in a situation where you really want to keep things simple. That said, I was lucky in that situation that I manged to catch the mask out of reflex and if I had missed it, a lanyard may have saved my dive.

In the OW course you train for diving with a lost mask. Sadly, we spend time on the CESA (which imho is a pointless exercise) instead of spending time on helping a buddy with a lost mask make an ascent and/or stops.... Most divers don't see this until much later in their learning. The first time I saw this as a performance requirement was in a trimix course.

As for the lanyard. I think the basic idea of not wanting your mask to slip off your head (somehow) is good. This can be addressed without a lanyard, however. By ensuring that you have the right equipment (mask band, cap etc.) and that you employ them correctly. The lanyard seems to me to be a solution to the wrong problem. If you drill down to the root cause of a mask "slipping off" then you're probably going to find that either the cap was too big (poor fit) or the mask strap was too high on the back of the head.

As for surface swims etc. either the mask is on or it's around your neck. In neither of those positions can it slip off without you noticing.

In the case of a mask strap breaking during a dive, most divers who I know that make dives that require you to solve all problems underwater (a) check the strap before the dive and (b) carry a backup.

All in all, I can imagine why some people would see an application for this. In my case, I strongly believe in keeping things as simple as possible and to solve problems with skills instead of adding more gear. For myself I can see no application.

R..

I found a mask 20 ft from a diver who lost his. I was swimming back to shore and swimming parallel looking for last minute critters. The diver in question was already walking. It happened to be a night dive and from afar, it looked like a weird moon jelly, so I swam closer to get a picture. Once I realized it was a mask, I also noticed 3 or 4 divers walking around, so I popped up and asked if it was theirs and it was.

Doing an entry off a dock, I have had my mask come off and end up on bottom. Someone was kind enough to retrieve it.
Something to keep it to me would be good if the depth was much deeper.

Doing an entry off a dock, I have had my mask come off and end up on bottom. Someone was kind enough to retrieve it.
Something to keep it to me would be good if the depth was much deeper.

Would you be interested in trying this out and providing a post of your experience using it. I would be glad to send one out to you.

---------- Post added October 18th, 2014 at 11:02 AM ----------

My dive buddy just lost his last night during a surf entry... Unfortunately we could not locate it and it sucks when it happens. But I am not sure if adding clips and straps is worth the risk of entanglement. I also carry a spare mask in a pocket when I dive solo or hunting.

I personally did not find this risk of entanglement to be significant. I would like to know if you wanted to give it a try. Perhaps you can post your review of the product. If you find it useful you can pass it on to your friend, so he does not lose his mask again.

I have lost several masks and fins, all on rough surf exits. I once had a pair of Jet Fins ripped out of my hand just a couple feet from shore and never found them. Another time I took my weight belt off and put it in my milk crate dive flag float to make an exit easier. I didn't realize the milk crate was brittle and my weight belt broke through the bottom and sank to the bottom. I tried to find it with my feet for a while but gave up. I came back a few days later with my metal detector and found it in about an hour. It was buried under almost a foot of sand!

I lost a mask and a fin both on exiting. Now I leash my mask to the left D ring with a thin bungee cord and a snap. Also I stuck labels on my mask and fins with name and phone number.

I lost a mask and a fin both on exiting. Now I leash my mask to the left D ring with a thin bungee cord and a snap. Also I stuck labels on my mask and fins with name and phone number.

If you are content on how your leash is working for you that is great, if not let me offer you a free leash to try out. We would be glad to send it to you. Do you plan on diving any time soon? We are looking to see who would like to do a product review, from this board on our leash.

If you are content on how your leash is working for you that is great, if not let me offer you a free leash to try out. We would be glad to send it to you. Do you plan on diving any time soon? We are looking to see who would like to do a product review, from this board on our leash.

Can you provide some more info so I can see if it's worthwhile for me. I actually drilled a small hole in the plastic in my mask and looped a 1/8 " bungee. The other end is a plastic snap which goes to a D ring. The only problem I've had is the leash can get tangled a bit with other gear. It's not a big issue and worth the price of not losing my mask. The leash has saved my mask at least once.

Can you provide some more info so I can see if it's worthwhile for me. I actually drilled a small hole in the plastic in my mask and looped a 1/8 " bungee. The other end is a plastic snap which goes to a D ring. The only problem I've had is the leash can get tangled a bit with other gear. It's not a big issue and worth the price of not losing my mask. The leash has saved my mask at least once.
Z Gear Head Strap Leash 2.jpgZ Gear Head Strap Leash with mask.jpg

https://www.zgearinc.com/
First picture depicts the user wearing it with the head strap, second picture is the leash on the dive mask. It is secured to the user by an adjustable armband. Here is a video on how to use the leash.

[video=youtube;s3uJkdXoUZE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3uJkdXoUZE[/video]

Let me know if you would like to receive and review this product.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom