How many of have ever lost or are worried of losing your dive mask!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally, I wouldn't want anything extra dangling off my shoulder. A chin strap would be a much better solution... it doesn't have to be tight or large at all, a simple 1/8" bungie cord would work.

Looks like another item to get tangled up in, possibly wrapped around your neck, or get caught on something below and above the surface. Also if you have to remove your bcd to adjust something it would probably get your arm caught up in the shoulder strap. What about the leash rubbing against you all the time that seems like it would get annoying after a while.

It didn't bother me. It really isn't that much of an issue as I have found. I even did a gear swap with my GoPro one at 80' without any real issue, but then again that would depend on how calm the person is. I could see someone experience a minor tangle and freak out because of it but if you route this under the BCD to begin with then I would not see that much of an issue.

I dive in the "frigid" waters of southern California (although they are pretty toasty right now). Therefore I usually wear a hood. Unlike what some feel is standard protocol, I wear my mask strap inside the hood so that if the strap breaks, the hood will hold the mask so it doesn't fall to depth.

The one time (in 52 years of diving) that my mask strap broke under water, I simply used my camera housing to hold the mask against my face and continued the dive and filming until it was time to surface.

Last edited:
I do a lot of spearfishing... if a feisty fish tangled my shooting line around that coiled leash, I'd lose my mask AND the tether!

I've lost my mask twice, both due to brain farts!

The first time was while getting OW certified doing a rough surf entry. I didn't listen to my instructor and didn't hold my mask in place while wading out pass the breakers.
The second time was a few years later assisting during and open water class... I was too cool for school doing a giant stride entry from a boat and did not hold my mask in place.

They say the only failures we have are the mistakes from which we don't learn... It took me a couple of times, but I learned my lesson. I also carry a spare mask with me.

Alternatively, a thin bead of CT1 around the inside of the skirt would probably work too.

.... Normally you inflate the BC walk out get your fins on and kick out a bit with your mask clipped to your BC. ....

I think this is the issue. I have always be taught from day one: enter water with mask on and regulator in mouth. I have never enter water wtih mask clipped to BC. In fact, have never slip mask to BC ever

Many, most - scuba divers refuse to wear a snorkel on their mask strap because it gets in the way, is an entanglement hazard, adds drag and is a pain. I personally wear a snorkel on my mask because the benefit out weighs the negatives- for me.

However, another strap hanging off the mask strap will present an additional entanglement hazard and may cause the mask to be ripped off, if the lanyard is snagged on something. This is not a product that I would use.

I think this is the issue. I have always be taught from day one: enter water with mask on and regulator in mouth. I have never enter water with mask clipped to BC. In fact, have never slip mask to BC ever

That scenario is perfectly good during moderate/to rough surf conditions on a shore entry.But its not necessary when going out from a sheltered cove or during really calm conditions especially if you are planning to kick out a hundred yards or so, it is for this reason that I and others continually use this method when shore diving. It makes our experience better and more comfortable, because we can relax and chat while we are kicking out to our drop zone.

Back
Top Bottom