How many of have ever lost or are worried of losing your dive mask!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That scenario is perfectly good during moderate/to rough surf conditions on a shore entry.But its not necessary when going out from a sheltered cove or during really calm conditions especially if you are planning to kick out a hundred yards or so, it is for this reason that I and others continually use this method when shore diving. It makes our experience better and more comfortable, because we can relax and chat while we are kicking out to our drop zone.

How are you mangaing to worry about losing a mask under those conditions?

How are you mangaing to worry about losing a mask under those conditions?

I usually check to make sure my mask is properly clipped after I have unclipped it to have a glance at something in the water or just check the vis before reaching our agreed drop area. This is how I lost my first mask.

---------- Post added October 15th, 2014 at 10:01 PM ----------

Ever lost a mask: No, besides harassment training in the Navy

Worry about, even a little: Not anymore — http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ad...ons/398734-preventing-mask-loss-vs-spare.html

The most interesting thing about this experiment is that tethering the mask has turned out to be really convenient.

I find it interesting that there are so many who have made up their mind that this is not a good idea. They are prematurely passing judgement to something that I have tried for a year now with no entanglement problems. There are many who have purchased the leash and are happy with the results. I have had no complaints to date and I want those who are skeptical about this leash to know about this fact. No entanglement problems!!!

I'm pretty sure everyone knows this phrase "DON'T KNOCK IT BEFORE YOU TRY IT" this applies to them.
You seem to be on the right track on this subject.

I would like to send you a leash to try out , if you are interested.

I am sure you will find that it works great, I am really confident of that!

something that I have tried for a year now with no entanglement problems.

What kind of diving has that involved? I'm hoping for your sake that you haven't been diving for a year with 0-24 dives...that would be an extremely unimpressive sample size to back up your claim.

What kind of diving has that involved? I'm hoping for your sake that you haven't been diving for a year with 0-24 dives...that would be an extremely unimpressive sample size to back up your claim.

I need to update my dive log amount. I also stated that others have used and purchased the product and have found it very practical. I feel do not need to have hundreds of dives to validate this product, its just not necessary. Its a new product, some are not used to seeing it. It won't be long before you will see it out there more often,and you will feel differently. I am certain of it because it really works!

That's nice. What environments were you diving in while testing? This isn't something I'd wear into a wreck, for example.

My dive buddy just lost his last night during a surf entry... Unfortunately we could not locate it and it sucks when it happens. But I am not sure if adding clips and straps is worth the risk of entanglement. I also carry a spare mask in a pocket when I dive solo or hunting.

Since the 1950's we wore a lanyard attached to the mask and around your neck for surf entree. if you lost it from your head you still had it. Learned to make these in summer camp as a kid, came in handy latter on when I first started diving.

That scenario is perfectly good during moderate/to rough surf conditions on a shore entry.But its not necessary when going out from a sheltered cove or during really calm conditions especially if you are planning to kick out a hundred yards or so, it is for this reason that I and others continually use this method when shore diving. It makes our experience better and more comfortable, because we can relax and chat while we are kicking out to our drop zone.

"It makes our experience better and more comfortable..."

If you loose your mask or are worried that you might loose your mask, how is this experience better and more comfortable?

I do shore dives similar to what you just described all week long. I have NEVER lost a mask with it on my face or around my neck...and yes we hold conversations while kicking out & back in.

…I find it interesting that there are so many who have made up their mind that this is not a good idea. They are prematurely passing judgement to something that I have tried for a year now with no entanglement problems….

IMHO, there are several factors at play. First, any new product that deviates from the norm experiences this in any market unless it is really revolutionary, has a big advertising budget, and/or benefits from good market timing. Something of a human nature issue.

Second, the vast majority of us reached the same initial conclusion we did at dinner without further analysis:

I was having dinner with several old diving mates and the subject of carrying a spare mask came up. The group has a lot of experience diving in harsh conditions all over the world — military, commercial, and open-sea Scuba. The “young guy” has only been diving 27 years. After some bantering, it turns out that none of us has ever lost a mask. Knee-jerk conclusion: No reason to carry a spare.

A few glasses of wine later and the sea-stories started surfacing where losing a mask would have been a big problem and what care was exercised to avoid it...

Third, there is a contingent of people that were trained to carry a spare mask and also don’t analyze it any further. The argument that a mask can fail is valid, but I have never seen it (beyond straps and smashed in the boat) in over 50 years of diving including commercial, probably because I choose more robust masks. There are a number of pretty delicate masks on the market. However that argument doesn’t address the reality that it is better not to lose you mask in the first place even if you do carry a spare… which can also be lost.

Fourth, it isn’t an earth-shattering problem desperately waiting for a solution. To my surprise, what I discovered is the big advantage of my experiments is it is really convenient to gear up with the mask hanging over my shoulder. Eliminating concern over losing an expensive prescription mask turned out to be a nice benefit rather than the main reason to clip it off.

…I would like to send you a leash to try out , if you are interested…

That is a generous offer but I doubt I would use it since all my gear is already set up with my home-brew version. I never dive without a suit for abrasion protection, even in tropical water. I would be happy to collaborate with you on product development. Just send a PM.

"It makes our experience better and more comfortable..."

If you loose your mask or are worried that you might loose your mask, how is this experience better and more comfortable?

I do shore dives similar to what you just described all week long. I have NEVER lost a mask with it on my face or around my neck...and yes we hold conversations while kicking out & back in.

. As a matter of fact some people don't like wearing their mask around their neck. Believe it or not, it really is not that comfortable. Perhaps you are used to it or you have a long neck? Maybe doesn't even bother you.If you enjoy having your mask on your face while talking to your dive buddy , and kicking out and back to shore for a while thats great ! !! More power to you!!! But I don't and neither do the people I dive with. I found that what affects one person doesn't necessarily apply to another. This is why my company dedicated in creating innovative products that caters to the needs of different kinds of people.

I was also trying to reach out to those who have purchased a Go Pro mounted mask, This would a be a great insurance policy for them. It would provide peace of mind, and no they can not wear this mask around their neck!!!!

Hope this helps.

---------- Post added October 16th, 2014 at 09:20 AM ----------

That's nice. What environments were you diving in while testing? This isn't something I'd wear into a wreck, for example.
I dive here in San Diego, I usually go to La jolla cove or the La jolla canyon. There also beaches to the north where I like to go bug hunting. In the La jolla cove and and Canyon dive its calm to moderate surf conditions. While at the open beaches to the north, for my bug hunts, its is stronger surf conditions.

---------- Post added October 16th, 2014 at 09:21 AM ----------

IMHO, there are several factors at play. First, any new product that deviates from the norm experiences this in any market unless it is really revolutionary, has a big advertising budget, and/or benefits from good market timing. Something of a human nature issue.

Second, the vast majority of us reached the same initial conclusion we did at dinner without further analysis:

Third, there is a contingent of people that were trained to carry a spare mask and also don’t analyze it any further. The argument that a mask can fail is valid, but I have never seen it (beyond straps and smashed in the boat) in over 50 years of diving including commercial, probably because I choose more robust masks. There are a number of pretty delicate masks on the market. However that argument doesn’t address the reality that it is better not to lose you mask in the first place even if you do carry a spare… which can also be lost.

Fourth, it isn’t an earth-shattering problem desperately waiting for a solution. To my surprise, what I discovered is the big advantage of my experiments is it is really convenient to gear up with the mask hanging over my shoulder. Eliminating concern over losing an expensive prescription mask turned out to be a nice benefit rather than the main reason to clip it off.

That is a generous offer but I doubt I would use it since all my gear is already set up with my home-brew version. I never dive without a suit for abrasion protection, even in tropical water. I would be happy to collaborate with you on product development. Just send a PM.

You got it!

Nope ... short neck and I too hate things around my neck. I resisted for a long time kicking out with my mask around my neck...but time proved that this was a good place for the mask when not on my face. I have done it so often now that I don't even notice it anymore.

Good luck with your GoPro thingy... :)

Back
Top Bottom