How many of you think solo is OK to do and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

at current I wouldn't but some time in the near future ( 1-2 years ) yes i will be, Someone already mentioned it's nice to have a buddy there simply to share the dive with after, camaraderie and all that,
on vacation I don't mind a insta buddy or just dive with the guide but back home I don't think I'll have enough buddies who will want to dive as much as i do, So will look into solo diving once i feel my
skills are up to par - Prolly try and take a solo course if can find one in my area.

I was working on my Heep (Jeep) solo. I yelled for my wife to hand me a wrench and then I realized I was in a dangerous predicament. Here I was solo mechanizing on a Jeep! Did I have the proper certs? Not sure!

So, woe upon me, I would have to reach for the wrench solo! Could I possibly accomplish the task without assistance. I mean, I really like having my wife there so she can insert peanut butter sandwiches and coffee under the transmission for me to snack on whilst I whine about the stupid four wheels cursed device.

But then, getting back to reaching for the wrench solo, as I rolled over I fet somthing under my elbow that was not at all right. No, looked over and low and behold, it was a copperhead snake. I rolled, solo, as the snake struck and he got my shirt. As I looked at him, I did that solo also, I saw him gathering to strike again, so again, all by myself I rolled yet again and he struck getting my shirt a second time.

Then, solo still, I got my pump 20 gauge and loaded it. I had to insist that he leave my garage but seems he insisted in staying under my Heep. This would not work as I explained to him I was a solo mechanic and did not need him to help unless he could provide coffee and peanut butter sandwiches. He was not agreeable, at which point, I drug him out by the tail and pumped him full of shot. And I did that solo too. I did feel badly about that.

You know, I could have been found dead under my Jeep, the epitaph would have bemoaned the fact I was solo mechanizing and had I had a buddy mechanic I would not have had to enlist the help of an ornery and now deceased copperhead.

Then I went and made some coffee, solo and I drank it all up solo as well.

Do some of you guys go to the bathroom holding hands with your buddies? We can, as adults, make decisions for ourselves, but make them educated and reasonable based on facts and not superstitions.

N

After sitting in OW class where buddy diving was stressed, I saw my first solo diver on the first day of OW dives. Soon after we arrived at the lake, the instructor sent a DM out to put in the dive flag. That is when I realized it was a "Do as I say, not as I do" thing.

I can't tell you how many dives I've been on where the DM is sent down solo to either set the hook before the dive or unhook after.

I dive solo relatively frequently. I've never had any training in it, but I try to carry enough gear to survive a single failure. There are a few conditions where the visibility is so bad that I think I would probably be safer alone, than trying to divert my attention from the dive to staying with and watching a buddy. I've also wiggled into places (I probably shouldn't have) were there was really no room for a buddy, so solo does make sense for some conditions

However, I have to disagree with the general idea that solo diving is as safe as buddy diving. If you are diving with a buddy who is as well equipped as you are and is as competent, there are few conditions where the presence of a good, attentive buddy won't add some degree of safety to the dive.

So the question becomes is solo diving safe enough or should our objective be to make the dive as safe as possible?

As I have stated in other posts of this type. Diving requires one to accept a certain amount of risk and personal responsibility. If you decide to dive solo....go for it...however, don't whine or sue if something happens. Accept the risk and deal with it.

Z Gear:

The SDI Solo course has value in helping people foresee & consider issues/problems they may not think about adequately in advance otherwise, and having thought them through in advance can prevent panic & improve problem solving. Getting enough dives in to get a comfort level, encounter some problems & to see how you cope with problems & stress on actual dives is also quite valuable. To me, the mindfulness taught in the Rescue Diver course is similar to that taught in the SDI Solo course; quite useful.

A redundant air source is strongly recommended. Following up the gill net situation, at least 2 cutting tools in different locations are also recommended. I've got a Trilobite on my BCD right cross chest strap, and a Spyderco knife in a little out pocket over my BCD pocket. There's always something bad that can happen to you. Exercise good judgment and risk mitigation within reason where you can, weigh the pro.s & con.s, then decide whether you will choose to or not.

Solo diving can be wonderful, but as with a number of things in diving, it should be approached with some forethought.

Richard.

However, I have to disagree with the general idea that solo diving is as safe as buddy diving. If you are diving with a buddy who is as well equipped as you are and is as competent, there are few conditions where the presence of a good, attentive buddy won't add some degree of safety to the dive.

So the question becomes is solo diving safe enough or should our objective be to make the dive as safe as possible?

There is a strong IF here. I would venture to say that most folks who prefer to dive solo lack a reliable buddy whom they have some level of confidence in.

What is safer? Diving alone and redundant? Or diving with god knows who everywhere you go?

… Is it a magic number of dives let say 100 plus…

An old Navy buddy who ran a dive boat in Monterey for years said it best:

“If you have to ask if you are qualified to dive solo, you're not.”​

Note that “Certified” is not the same as “Qualified”, or vice-versa.

solo diving, solo driving, solo shopping. many people can, some people shouldn't.

just yesterday i rescued my divebuddy from several hazardous situations and managed to get back home with just a new duvet. we were shopping. lucky (for me!) that i was there to protect her.

my real point is to step back and look at the real world. scuba is not that special in the big picture. it is just another activity we do. sure, it CAN be dangerous, but so can lots of other activities. driving a car is likely much more dangerous. and we can do that alone. without any special solo driver certificate. we do not look upon solo drivers as some sort of special highly trained person. they are just normal.

so why do some people start with the assumption that solo diving is EVIL and should be prevented?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom