How Miflex HP ruined my dive.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know about the innards of the fitting, but I just checked, and the SPG does rotate freely while pressurized on the Phantom hose.

Do what awap says using a washer or two between the spg and fitting.

Anyway thanks for the heads up. I'm going to use all rubber from now on.

Oh. Hang on.

I already do.

Same here :D

Do what awap says using a washer or two between the spg and fitting.

That would maybe work, but would have to be exactly the correct size to fit inside the B-nut. Putting a washer on the outside would do nothing.

If the SPG stem is not long enough to engage the fitting, one of these should do the job: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/do-yourself-diy/354001-tank-equalizer-2-50-a.html

Yeah if that Union has enough thread on it that may work also. I have no doubt it's possible to find a way to tighten it. I did with needle nose pliers even, but my big deal with it is that the fitting shouldn't even be there and like others here I'm not gonna volunteer for a piece of equipment that is not the most simple and reliable design.

Lets not forget the fact I wasn't doing something screwy here, simply adjusting the position of my gauge caused a failure in a nearly new component, and that's enough for me to not really care how to tighten that fitting:D

Yeah if that Union has enough thread on it that may work also. I have no doubt it's possible to find a way to tighten it. I did with needle nose pliers even, but my big deal with it is that the fitting shouldn't even be there and like others here I'm not gonna volunteer for a piece of equipment that is not the most simple and reliable design.

Lets not forget the fact I wasn't doing something screwy here, simply adjusting the position of my gauge caused a failure in a nearly new component, and that's enough for me to not really care how to tighten that fitting:D

I suspect that all HP hoses have a similar assembly on the SPG end.

I don't know about the innards of the fitting, but I just checked, and the SPG does rotate freely while pressurized on the Phantom hose.

Thanks for that, I just took a look at them and it appears it's swaged like a normal hose. Hopefully someone can confirm, but there is no gap in the line between the B-nut and swage and I'd bet that's the case, I'm gonna give it a try.

I suspect that all HP hoses have a similar assembly on the SPG end.

You mean that fitting that screws in?.....I don't think so. If that was the case we'd have trains derailing and metal falling from the sky:D. I suspect the cause and reason for the design was the decision to use such a small diameter hose.

Mis post.....will fix after additional research.....

Last edited:
You mean that fitting that screws in?.....I don't think so. If that was the case we'd have trains derailing and metal falling from the sky:D. I suspect the cause and reason for the design was the decision to use such a small diameter hose.

Take a close look and think about how else the swivel connector could be attached like that over the flare fitting. The size of the hose only affects the swag fitting. North of that, the Miflex connection is the same as other HP hoses. I suspect it was a manufacturing defect, not a design defect.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom