How much air in your BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm actually fairly sure that I can dump faster from my rear dump than from my inflator hose, and in fact, tech divers are often taught that, in the face of a runaway inflator, the rear dump should be used for that reason.

Hi,
What I meant in my post about efficiency is not the rate at which the air vents from an inflated BC, which is normally not an issue, but getting the last bit of air out of the BC. This is important for fine buoyancy/trim control, minimizing the amount lead you need to carry, and to some extent air consumption.

The reason for this: if you raise the inflator hose above the bladder of the BC you get a pressure difference pushing on the air in the BC, from the height difference. It's a foot or a little more of sea water positive pressure pushing the air out, which you don't get just by opening a vent on the bladder. It's a way of getting trapped air out of the BC,

Adam

Another point relevant to this discussion is that it's more efficient to dump air from the inflator hose pointing up than from all the dump valves on the bladder, especially if the BC is prone to air trapping.

Adam

If there is any air in my wing to dump, then I use the rear dump 90% of the time.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom