How to get half topside/half underwater shots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tried a few of these last month. Predictably, even with the strobes submerged, they were under-exposed underwater and over-exposed above. I had hoped to get it close enough to fix it in PS, but it was a pretty sunny day. It was also surprisingly difficult to stabilize myself on the surface for the shot. Next time I try it I will be in chest high water, standing in the sand.

parabolic:
Peter C
I think that first over/under shot is outstanding. I hope you don't mind but I took the liberty of tweaking it just a little bit in PS to bring out some more detail in the bull kelp. Is this off of Carmel, by the way?

The image washed a little at the top, but it did brighten it up. Thanks! I have PS 7, but only use it once in a while. The photos where taken at Fort Ross in Northern California. Usually our vis sucks, but it is not far from home. This weekend they are saying 20+ foot vis :14: I just bought a YS-110 strobe, so I will play around some this weekend.

The rest of the pics can be seen here, although many are topside of us screwing around.
North Coast Divers

Sorry I dont know how to just stick a photo in the text...

Attachments

• IMG_5974.JPG
    IMG_5974.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 2,023
Very nice JMD, Those labs are inseparable from water.
I'm glad this thread popped up. I tried this a few weeks ago, the shots came out pretty bad, and was moved to the back burner.

Thanks... Its really easy to do when you have a DSLR with a large dome port... Its really tough not even sure its doable with a point & shoot...

JMD123:
Thanks... Its really easy to do when you have a DSLR with a large dome port... Its really tough not even sure its doable with a point & shoot...

<Uses Canon S500 point and shoot :11doh:

Hi

I have never done this, but I have seen it done. The best way to do it is to use a "split filter". Rather than describe the whole operation here, let me direct you to an article that covers it:

http://www.jonathanbird.net/photo_tip2.htm

I hope this helps...

joewr

There is a trick using a glass or plexiglass box. The camera is in the box, the glass extends out of the frame both above and below. I believe it is the method used in motion pictures where depth of field is usually more restrictive.

Personally, I would shoot the photo twice, exposing separately for the surface and under water portions of the photo and then use creative blur to bring the two portions together. Ensuring the perspective didn't change would be important, of course.

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom