How To Get To Utila?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there really the economic demand for that many daily routes between La Ceiba and Utila? Not to mention the Utila Princess runs that route too.
with two ferries running its created a fare war and the prices are so low that many people from the mainland who would not normally be able to afford to visit very often are coming in droves. the ferries have been very, very busy since the prices dropped

Hi guys,

I am doing my due diligence and researching the possibility of getting my PADI instructor certification back in Utila. Was an instructor back in '05-'07.

Just using Kayak, Orbitz, it seems almost like you can't get there from Miami. 2 stops, 20 hour layovers, 43 hour total travel times? Am I missing something? Tickets less than $600, but seems like an eternity to get there.

If anyone can point me to a better travel site, I would appreciate it.

Is it better to fly onto San Pedro, then hop over to Utila?

Thank you,
Michael

Quickest way: United from Houston to Roatan, Island Air to Utila. His planes are twin prop so you AND your bags get there together! The others won't promise that. Contact Angelo at Island Air, he'll take care of you on arrival at Roatan - Roatan Flights | Island Air, Bay Islands Flights

American has a non-stop on Saturday morning to Roatan - not a cheap flight but only 2+hrs. long. I used next month so it might be cheaper later?

United from Houston was $800 if you booked 5 months in advance and $1,600 pretty much anytime after that. Presumably the above works the same way.

Michael, try Google Flights, Skyscanner and/or momondo.com, to help you select your flights. These sites are so much easier to navigate than Orbitz, Kayak etc. I especially like the ease with which you can select different days/dates. I'm not sure where you are starting from in the States so don't know which is best airline for you but I can fly from Calgary thru Houston on United, in June, for $744 cdn. This can be done in one day or with an overnight in Houston. If booking straight out of Houston the cost can be similar, so ya, there's that weirdness :)

Last edited:
Too bad someone hasn't been able to take over Capt Vern's route. I sure do miss him:(

Utila does not have an airport! It has a landing strip. Starts and ends in the ocean.
It starts just past the shoreline and goes inland. It does have a small terminal but does not have lights so only daylight flights. Several independent prop airlines run in & out to Roatan & the mainland.

Going through Roatan sounds good. When we went to Utila, it was a long route through El Salvador, San Pedro Sula and La Ceiba. Going back was especially funny cause we woke up at 5 am to catch the ferry, and by 7 pm we got to El Salvador. Meaning, we spent 14 hrs moving south, further away from home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom