How to: Install Dry Gloves in 5 minutes! (Picture Heavy)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SparticleBrane:
Practice practice practice! :D
Nuts to that. I'm to impatient. I can put on my DC gloves in ~4 sec

My GUE instructor uses a similar ringless dry glove, and after watching him mess with them, and having to help from time to time, I concluded that the rings, despite their annoyances, are a more attractive system for me.

Like I said--I've never used them so I have no experience whatsoever and am talking out of pure ignorance.
I have tried out DUI drysuits with ZipSeals and I didn't particularly like that ring so I can't imagine I'd like something the size of the rings on the dryglove system.

Then again when I first started diving I hated hoods so I suppose it's all just a matter of getting used to a particular piece of gear.

I use the ringless type all the time. No problem putting them on at all. They do take a few more minutes than the ring types (used those last year) but I much prefer them.
If my camera wasn't on the blink, I do a few photos showing how I put mine on. Basically, it starts with the seal doubled back over the glove, insert hand, pull seal back over drysuit seal, tidy up, repeat, and go get wet (well, your face anyway).

As I've said in the past, different strokes (no pun intended :D).

I'm probably going to pick up a set of the Viking bayonets from Bob3, but I'm wondering if there is a place in Vancouver that sells the Atlas 660's (or other similar). I want to try them on with some insulating gloves to find the right sizing.

If there aren't any in town, I'll just guess at it and order from Bob3. But I'd probably want to order a few pair, so I'd rather get the sizing right on the first try.

Thanks,
Craig

Temple of Doom:
I'm probably going to pick up a set of the Viking bayonets from Bob3, but I'm wondering if there is a place in Vancouver that sells the Atlas 660's (or other similar). I want to try them on with some insulating gloves to find the right sizing.

If there aren't any in town, I'll just guess at it and order from Bob3. But I'd probably want to order a few pair, so I'd rather get the sizing right on the first try.

Thanks,
Craig
Most marine supply stores (ones that cater to commercial fishing specifically) should sell these. Grab the phone book and call around, it shouldn't take too long to locate a local source.

There's plenty of places on the net too:

Seattle Marine Atlas 660 Gloves- $3.57

Seattle Marine Atlas 495 (heavy liner) Gloves - $16.06

Description of all Atlas gloves

They do seem to correspond with normal glove sizes. I can usually wear medium gloves (but they're tight) or large gloves (which are comfy), and the Atlas gloves had similar fit qualities to me.

Cheekymonkey:
Are they removable without damaging the suit?

I've taken mine off several times already, all without ill effect. I think the bigger concern with most people would be if the rings stretch out your latex seals. I installed mine on the wide bell shaped portion of my latex seal, and it is barely stretching the latex. Even if it were stretched slightly, this is not the part of the seal that has contact with my wrist.

-Brandon.

Brandon:
Most marine supply stores (ones that cater to commercial fishing specifically) should sell these. Grab the phone book and call around, it shouldn't take too long to locate a local source.

There's plenty of places on the net too:

Seattle Marine Atlas 660 Gloves- $3.57

Seattle Marine Atlas 495 (heavy liner) Gloves - $16.06

Description of all Atlas gloves

They do seem to correspond with normal glove sizes. I can usually wear medium gloves (but they're tight) or large gloves (which are comfy), and the Atlas gloves had similar fit qualities to me.
Thanks for the tips, I phoned around a few shops and they didn't have any Atlas gloves.

I found this ebay store, and will probably pick up 6 pair of 660s for $22USD shipped anywhere in Canada! Hardware Sales, Inc.

Can't beat that with a stick! I figure if I get the wrong size, I'll be happy spending another $22 and send off the wrong size to anybody who wants them.

Hmm, maybe I shouldn't mention that before asking my next question... :)

Brandon, I'm using size L wet gloves, from your experience would you guess that size L 660s will be large enough for me while wearing a comfy liner glove?

Thanks again for your help,

Craig

Temple of Doom:
Brandon, I'm using size L wet gloves, from your experience would you guess that size L 660s will be large enough for me while wearing a comfy liner glove?

There's a good chance =)

I wear large wet gloves, and they have have a little bit of room in them on me, same with the large atlas gloves. That little bit of extra space gets taken up perfectly by liners. Medium sized gloves don't usually work well for me (they're skin tight), but I can wear them.

If large gloves are tight on you, I'd move up a size.

-Brandon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom