How to: Install Dry Gloves in 5 minutes! (Picture Heavy)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brandon:
There's a good chance =)

I wear large wet gloves, and they have have a little bit of room in them on me, same with the large atlas gloves. That little bit of extra space gets taken up perfectly by liners. Medium sized gloves don't usually work well for me (they're skin tight), but I can wear them.

If large gloves are tight on you, I'd move up a size.

-Brandon.

Perfect, my L gloves are a little snug, so I'll get some XLs. Figure it's better to err on the larger side anyway.

If anybody in Van wants to get in on an order at the same time, this eBay store has all types and sizes of the Atlas gloves. Good shipping too. http://stores.ebay.ca/Hardware-Sales-Inc

Thanks again B.

Craig

Temple of Doom:
Perfect, my L gloves are a little snug, so I'll get some XLs. Figure it's better to err on the larger side anyway.

Atlas 660's in size XL will probably be a good choice for you, since your liners will probably fill them out.

I even use the 660 XXL when I wear two liners.

By the way, the original glove included with many dry glove systems is the Atlas (or Showa) 495, with the removable liner. They have fatter fingers to accomodate the liners and tend to make a nicer fit than the 660's. Looser is better than tight, in my opinion, especially when bending the fingers.

I use both types, switching to the 660's when I'm wearing light weight liners.

I've used Seattle Marine for Atlas gloves, the site Brandon posted. Excellent company.

Good luck!

Dave C

dave4868:
Atlas 660's in size XL will probably be a good choice for you, since your liners will probably fill them out.

I even use the 660 XXL when I wear two liners.

By the way, the original glove included with many dry glove systems is the Atlas (or Showa) 495, with the removable liner. They have fatter fingers to accomodate the liners and tend to make a nicer fit than the 660's. Looser is better than tight, in my opinion, especially when bending the fingers.

I use both types, switching to the 660's when I'm wearing light weight liners.

I've used Seattle Marine for Atlas gloves, the site Brandon posted. Excellent company.

Good luck!

Dave C

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to try the 660s as opposed to the 495s, because:

A) I think I'll prefer the narrower fingers.
B) They're quite a bit cheaper (over $10 per pair less at the same store), because they don't include the liner I don't want. Plus I can get the 660s for dirt cheap shipped through eBay.
C) They look like they have a longer gauntlet, and it doesn't have stitching on the bottom:
ats660_detail.jpg
ats495l_detail.jpg

Craig

PS: Has anybody ever tried cutting the fingertips of the thumb and fore/middle finger off the liner glove? I imagine that would add even greater dexterity at the expense of a little thermal loss. I wonder if it would be worthwhile at all. I may try it out with some cheap liners.

Temple of Doom:
Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to try the 660s as opposed to the 495s, because:

A) I think I'll prefer the narrower fingers.
B) They're quite a bit cheaper (over $10 per pair less at the same store), because they don't include the liner I don't want. Plus I can get the 660s for dirt cheap shipped through eBay.
C) They look like they have a longer gauntlet, and it doesn't have stitching on the bottom:
ats660_detail.jpg
ats495l_detail.jpg

Craig

PS: Has anybody ever tried cutting the fingertips of the thumb and fore/middle finger off the liner glove? I imagine that would add even greater dexterity at the expense of a little thermal loss. I wonder if it would be worthwhile at all. I may try it out with some cheap liners.

Craig, what you say about the 660's makes perfect sense.

As far as the hem on the 495, I just cut that off. Still has more than enough gauntlet for my SI TECH rings.

I never cut off a fingertip from the liners, but that's an interesting idea. I might try it when I use two sets of liners, trimming a fingertip or two from just the heavier outer set. Good thought!

In general, my dexterity with the pvc gloves has been good enough to work small camera buttons, even with two liners.

When temps allow, I switch to a lighter weight polypropylene liner and get even better dexterity. A commercial fisherman's supply house has them for a little over $2.00 a pair! Quite a deal. I should see if they would sell here because they are really nice for above 50 degree water.

For those who use the original yellow liner with the hem, another suggestion is to reduce the excess material by having someone with a serging sewing machine narrow the wrist section and remove the hem. It's very easy to do.

With that excess material gone, I no longer trap any material in the o-ring of my SI TECH rings.

Maybe that's not an issue with the liners or system you'll be using.

By the way, that Canadian eBayer appears to be a great source for 660's. Thanks! I'll pass that along to local divers here.

Enjoy your warm hands!

Dave C

:thumbs_up:

dave4868:
By the way, that Canadian eBayer appears to be a great source for 660's. Thanks! I'll pass that along to local divers here.

Actually the place is located in WA (ebay ca/com have the same content): http://stores.ebay.com/Hardware-Sales-Inc

He lists USPS Priority shipping (2-3 days) for the 6 pair of 660s at $9 USD anywhere in the states ($13 to Europe/Antipodes). That adds up to only $21 for 6 pair shipped to you yanks (only a buck more for us canucks)!

He sells the 620's too for $2 less per 6 pair. Both styles he's got in 6, 12, and 72 pair batches. If I had a dive shop, I'd be ordering a case or two of each and selling them at about cost. Divers would come in from miles away, and they'll sure wind up buying more than a $3 pair of gloves!

Just make sure when spreading the word that nobody tells the guy that divers are interested in them. He'd probably jack the price! :)

Craig

I've got SiTech rings and I use some gloves from SeaMar - forget which number off hand.

What's the difference between the Viking Bayonet rings and the SiTech rings? My set came with what appears to be from the pictures, the same 3 colors of rings.

My SiTech cuff on the glove has a large "nut" ring that you rotate to get them back off (admitedly somewhat difficult some days).

How do you remove the Viking Bayonets? They appear to have some sort of tabs on them? Are they opposable where you twist with your index finger and thumb or something?

I ordered my Viking ring set from Bob3. Since this was my first set, and I wasn't 100 sure of the glove fit and such, I just ordered one of each pair of gloves - the 660 and the 495s. They were cheap enough.

Looking forward to trying them.

Ray

I'm happy to announce that there is a new batch of the Bayonet Ring Kits out (and in stock) now and the instruction sheets have been re-done & are even able to be made sense of.

The operating of the rings are more smooth, so they've either gone with a different hardness o-ring or else machined the mating area to a little more loose standard.
The initial operation of unlatching had been a bit on the stiff side before & required a little breaking in period to loosen up.
Now they operate noticeably easier, especially handy for old farts with arthritic finger joints (like me).
We still expect to track down replacement o-rings for the original batch though, so if you happen to have a set of rings that are still too stiff, stay posted.
If you happen to know of a good o-ring supplier that has:

5-031 size in 45 - 60 Durometer
and/or:
2-154 size in 60 - 70 Durometer

give me a yell at: admin AT comdive DOT com

Man, it would be nice to have them a little easier to get off. I've gotten quite good at biting mine -- Jaw muscles being much stronger than my arthritic hands!

Does anyone know if the Viking Bayonet rings will work with the new fusion????

Phil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom