How to pick a second regulator system when going doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you service your own regs, buying used makes perfect sense. However, if you don't, the cost of the parts kit over a few years of service may eat up most of the money you saved on buying the regs used. I bought my SPMk25/S600s used, and I did save a significant amount of money doing so. But it's slowly leaking away.

If you service your own regs, buying used makes perfect sense. However, if you don't, the cost of the parts kit over a few years of service may eat up most of the money you saved on buying the regs used. I bought my SPMk25/S600s used, and I did save a significant amount of money doing so. But it's slowly leaking away.

I think the flipside of that is that you need to commit to the strict one inspection/service per year requirement to keep the manufacturers' "free parts" policy. I know a lot of divers who don't service their own regs, but only bring them in for service once every few years (assuming they're well taken care of, etc.). Plus, a lot of the cost is in labor, which you'd pay for anyways when you bring them in.

Another one here who uses MK25/S600's on my doubles. I bought both used, and they've been flawless, but I should have them serviced soon.

I use dual Apeks DS4 primaries and dual Alpha 8 secondaries. I believe that since both could be used as my regulator, both should be identical.

Mike

I use MK25/S600 and MK25/S550 for my double regs, and repeating what other friends already mentioned, although there is no obligation to use same regs for both posts, it would be easier to service them and what is more important, in doubles you must consider as having two primary regs, not a main and a spare, so you must really feel confortable breathing from either one of your regs.

Also, in my opinion, having two similar regs (if not same model, at least same configuration of hoses output) make it easier to configure your equipment.

I really thing that for first stage it is worth the investment of using 2 MK25.

BRgds

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom