How to plan second dive of the day using a computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The responsibility of learning how a dive computer functions rests solely with the diver in question.

Then what are students paying for, when they take a 'computer-only' Open Water course??

As I've said, it seems to me that this course option is being used as a method for instructors/agency to abdicating responsibility for teaching what was previously a large chunk of training knowledge that was considered a critical and core OW skill (dive planning and management).

Saying to a student "Buy a dive computer and read the manual. It's your responsibility to learn how to use that equipment" isn't teaching them anything.

I didn't need to take a formal class to come to the realization that I must read the computer manual prior to diving with the computer.

Would you say "The responsibility of learning how a BCD and regulator functions rests soley with the diver in question"? Nope? Why the disparity?

Divers should only dive with a particular dive computer once they understand how to use it.
This is just common sense, isn't it?

Absolutely. But then, those divers are paying instructors to teach them to dive. When presented with a 'computer only' Open Water course, shouldn't that education be integral within that training.... given that the requirement is integral within the core skills needed to dive safely?

Perhaps instructors should emphasize this sort of pre-dive prep in basic OW class since newly certified divers often find themselves renting gear.

Absolutely. I do this. Time to learn about equipment functionality isn't when your kitting up on the boat at a dive site. :)

From this thread, I would conclude:
  1. The Open Water course should teach both dive computers and dive tables.
  2. Neither dive computers nor dive tables should be taught without also thoroughly educating the student to the concepts behind them.

Hopefully, after eleven pages, you have concluded how to plan that second dive. :)

-Mitch

Oh yes, I should have said that too. After reading the manual for my new Mares Puck I didn't understand much of anything, but after taking the Dive Computer Training course on my iPhone I think I understand it quite well now. I can't wait to try it out! I was thinking of getting in my bath tub, but it doesn't activate before 4 feet. :)

Then what are students paying for, when they take a 'computer-only' Open Water course??
I think you're reading too much into my statement. I didn't say that a diver needs to learn how to use his computer on his own without any outside aids. Taking a formal class on how to use a piece of dive equipment is one of several reasonable approaches.

I would guess that if students are paying for a computer-only OW course, then that's what they're getting.
Whether they take a class on how to use their dive computer or not, the responsibility for knowing how to use it rests with them.
As I've said, it seems to me that this course option is being used as a method for instructors/agency to abdicating responsibility for teaching what was previously a large chunk of training knowledge that was considered a critical and core OW skill (dive planning and management).
That may be true, although it's certainly possible that proper dive planning and management is being taught in a "computer only" OW class. I hope so for the sake of the students.
Would you say "The responsibility of learning how a BCD and regulator functions rests soley with the diver in question"? Nope? Why the disparity?
Yes, I would say that. Responsibility for learning how to safely operate any piece of scuba gear used on a dive rests ultimately with the diver.
That applies to a BCD, regulator, dive computer, camera, scooter, drysuit, etc.

Matt - eDiving is much better than a bath tub. It is even better than an actual dive site for experiencing some extreme conditions.

from my computer's manual..... (name removed so as not to be an endorsement or sales pitch) I think it was pretty clearly written....

DECOMPRESSION MODE:​
Should a no-decompression limit be mistakenlyoverstayed, the ####### will enter the Decompression Mode. In this mode, the Ceiling digits will display the depth at which the diver must stop and not ascend above during final ascent (the “TEMP” legend and digits will be replaced with the “CEIL” legend and digits). The first Ceiling will be at 10 feet and continue in ten foot increments to a maximum of 90 feet. To alert the diver to an even more hazardous situation, the CEILING digits will flash if the Ceiling is 70 feet or more.The Remaining No-decompression Time and “NDC” legend will be replaced with Decompression Time and “DEC” legend and the “WARNING” legend will come on. Both STOP time and TOTAL time are displayed using the same set of digits. As shipped from the factory (can be changed via XXXX) , STOP and TOTAL time will alternate at the rate of once every two seconds. In this way, the diver can view not onlythe time to spend at a particular STOP depth, but also the TOTAL time it will take to complete all STOPS and surface. Clearly, the larger of the two alternating numbers is the Total Decompression Time of all stops which includes ascent time to the surface, and the smaller of the two numbers is the time required at the current stop. At the ten foot stop, the TOTAL and STOP times may be the same and therefore appear to not alternate. Predicted Decompression Time assumes that the diver is at exactly the required Ceiling. However, it is not necessary to be precisely at the specified Ceiling. Outgassing credit will be given that is proportional to a depth that is deeper than the specified Ceiling. A small margin shallower than the Ceiling also exists. Should a Ceiling be violated (diver is shallower than Ceiling), the Depth and Ceiling digits will flash as a visual warning and a unique audible alarm will sound once per second. This warning will continue until the Depth has been corrected. For each second that is spent shallower than the Ceiling depth no decompression credit will be given and a 1.5 second penalty will be added to the decompression obligation. Remaining shallowerthan the Ceiling for five consecutive minutes will immediately put the computer into the Gauge Mode.

NOTE: XXXX does not intend for this instrument to be used for deliberate​
Decompression diving.

Matt - eDiving is much better than a bath tub. It is even better than an actual dive site for experiencing some extreme conditions.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get it to work. I couldn't figure out how to log the dive and do a second dive, which is where you're going to get most of the functionality. I asked a question, but never got an answer.

from my computer's manual..... (name removed so as not to be an endorsement or sales pitch) I think it was pretty clearly written....

DECOMPRESSION MODE:
Should a no-decompression limit be mistakenlyoverstayed, the ####### will enter the Decompression Mode. In this mode, the Ceiling digits will display the depth at which the diver must stop and not ascend above during final ascent (the “TEMP” legend and digits will be replaced with the “CEIL” legend and digits). The first Ceiling will be at 10 feet and continue in ten foot increments to a maximum of 90 feet. To alert the diver to an even more hazardous situation, the CEILING digits will flash if the Ceiling is 70 feet or more.The Remaining No-decompression Time and “NDC” legend will be replaced with Decompression Time and “DEC” legend and the “WARNING” legend will come on. Both STOP time and TOTAL time are displayed using the same set of digits. As shipped from the factory (can be changed via XXXX) , STOP and TOTAL time will alternate at the rate of once every two seconds. In this way, the diver can view not onlythe time to spend at a particular STOP depth, but also the TOTAL time it will take to complete all STOPS and surface. Clearly, the larger of the two alternating numbers is the Total Decompression Time of all stops which includes ascent time to the surface, and the smaller of the two numbers is the time required at the current stop. At the ten foot stop, the TOTAL and STOP times may be the same and therefore appear to not alternate. Predicted Decompression Time assumes that the diver is at exactly the required Ceiling. However, it is not necessary to be precisely at the specified Ceiling. Outgassing credit will be given that is proportional to a depth that is deeper than the specified Ceiling. A small margin shallower than the Ceiling also exists. Should a Ceiling be violated (diver is shallower than Ceiling), the Depth and Ceiling digits will flash as a visual warning and a unique audible alarm will sound once per second. This warning will continue until the Depth has been corrected. For each second that is spent shallower than the Ceiling depth no decompression credit will be given and a 1.5 second penalty will be added to the decompression obligation. Remaining shallowerthan the Ceiling for five consecutive minutes will immediately put the computer into the Gauge Mode.

NOTE: XXXX does not intend for this instrument to be used for deliberate​
Decompression diving.

Far too many syllables for the average diver :D Most of us can hardly spell PADY

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom