How to plan second dive of the day using a computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

..... I'm still hoping DiveNav will eventually pull out the limits so I can run that dive sequence..

We did :wink:

In the latest beta (0.11) the Tech level allows to plan an unlimited series of dives .... and you can also select 3 different levels of conservatism.
You are a beta tester and you have access to all of that.

Next rev will have "Selective Gradients" so you can design your own curve (just do NOT use it for real diving :wink:)

Alberto (aka eDiver)

The OP is PADI AOW. Last time I checked they don't teach decompression on those courses, however PADI OW does have a computer option.
we teach decompression principles at the second level, before teaching computer use.
divers know how to use tables and do or don't deco, but they know.

Last edited:
The OP is PADI AOW. Last time I checked they don't teach decompression on those courses, however PADI OW does have a computer option.
we teach decompression principles at the second level, before teaching computer use.
divers know how to use tables and do or don't deco, but they know.

Who's we?

I'm just going to point out that in planning a dive you need to consider both your NDLs and your gas supply (among other important things).

A non-air-integrated dive computer, like a Mares Puck computer, will only help you with tracking your theoretical nitrogen-loading and displaying your NDLs.
As an inexperienced diver, your dives will likely be gas-limited.

You should learn a little about gas planning. NWGratefulDiver has written an excellent essay on the topic.

Who's we?

funny%20french%20flag.gif

Hi Matt, The leading compartment is the one with highest nitrogen loading. If the computer has a nitrogen loading bar graph that's the one that it tracks. When you first descend the fast compartment takes up nitrogen the most, but when you ascend it also offgasses the fastest so you're left with some middle compartment being in the lead.

Thanks, Adam. That explains it.

With regards to DiveNav computer courses you can buy them online. I bought mine for the Galileo Sol and I'm sure Alberto has one for the Mares Puck.

Adam[/QUOTE]

The Dive Computer training site says you can't buy it from them, you have to contact the seller of the product. But perhaps that's incorrect. I'll look again on the site and see if I can just buy it. That would certainly be simpler.

When a diver has saturated multiple compartments, they begin to ascend and, in that process, actually clear their fast tissues. However, their slower tissue compartments are still not cleared. Thus, the slower compartments are now 'controlling' the dive.

What I didn't understand is why, in that situation, the slowest compartment is not the controlling compartment--rather than some intermediate compartment. But now I'm beginning to understand. The slowest compartment may not have absorbed enough nitrogen to be the controlling or dominant compartment, but some intermediate compartment has.

Repetitive Dives.
This is especially relevant if multiple daily/repetitive dives are conducted, as slower tissues retain nitrogen from one dive to another (called 'residual nitrogen' on the tables). After a couple of dives, these slower compartments can become heavily loaded, even whilst the faster tissues are not. Thus, medium-slow tissues can be the controlling factor from the start of the (repetitive) dive. This is one reason why a diver should never assume that some small deco will 'disappear' on ascent. After several dives, you may well be controlled by slower tissues that won't desaturate at a speed faster than your ascent rate.

Interesting!

Residual nitrogen tracking.
This reality differs from the PADI tables, that lead you to believe you are 'nitrogen free' after a surface interval of >6-8 hours. Those tables weren't meant for multiple deep dives or intensive multi-day diving. However, natural conservatism inherent with the tables (assuming some element of multi-level diving) and tables rules (don't repetitively dive below 30m) can help this becoming an actual health risk. Your dive computer WILL track that accurately though.

So this is another very real advantage of having a dive computer. In fact, this is possibly the most important advantage of a computer, since it's something that you can't even approximate with the tables (whereas multi-level diving can be approximated with the eRDPml for example).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom