How to reset Oceanic Datamax Sport?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Like several others, I was surprised to find that my recently purchased Oceanic Datamax Sport computer not only had a dead battery, but also was not user replaceable and, oh, by the way, the company no longer will even service it.

With nothing to lose, a little experimentation allowed me to figure out how to disassemble and replace the battery (just happened to have the right one in a box in the garage). So far, so good. Now when I press the activation button, the computer goes through the self test sequence, cycling all the displays and numbers, apparently without problem. Then, it just goes blank.

Does anyone know if this means the computer is broken, or more likely, I need to do some sort of reset procedure in the back? My hope is to get it functional and use it as a backup computer since I've already got another one. I find it hard to believe that just having the battery go dead means I have to throw away a sophisticated electronic device. I've also reviewed the manual, and since the battery is not supposed to be user replaceable, there is not info on this topic.

Thanks for your help.
Tim

Unfortunately, it is probably that the unit is bad... and that is what made the battery go dead... not the other way around. So hopefully, you didn't pay much for it, as a brand new computer with user changable batteries and a warranty are easy to come by for $150 or less...

...I tried...

I have a DataMax Sport that I bought in about '93. I checked the manual, and it doesn't say anything about reseting it. As a matter of fact, the manual says it has to be returned to the factory for battery replacement, even though the unit I have has a battery door on the back.

Are you sure that the battery from the box in the garage was good? If it was low, the computer might respond as you described. You might want to try it again with a known-good battery.

Larry is probably right, though. One common way to reset consumer electronics is to remove the battery for a couple of minutes. If yours had a dead battery in it, resetting it probably isn't going to help.

had same problem.. and the bad news is that the battery I put in was brand new, so don't keep your hopes up too much.

I bought it as part of a console, paid 100 for it, figure i can sell the console for 50, still leaving me short 50.

Maybe a new computer is in order for both you and I..?

Mines almost identical situation. I bought a set on ebay with the computer being one of the main reasons I bid. Still using the rest of the stuff and it was too much trouble to really pursue the seller for false advertsing. Of course its always possible he really didn't know the battery was dead and couldn't be serviced.
I'll let you know if it makes a difference as soon as I can find the time to pick up the battery.

I ended up the same way. Figured out how to take the back off, bought a new battery, replaced it. Now I get the test sequence and it counts down. Then just shuts off. Did it lose it's programimg or does it need some kind of reset. guess nobody knows as I have searched for an answer on this all over the web.
Could really use an answer on this.

has anybody figured a way of replacing the battery and getting the Oceanic to work again ?
I am in the same situation with a new battery.

I ended up the same way. Figured out how to take the back off, bought a new battery, replaced it. Now I get the test sequence and it counts down. Then just shuts off. Did it lose it's programimg or does it need some kind of reset. guess nobody knows as I have searched for an answer on this all over the web.
Could really use an answer on this.
I have a 91 datamax same thing replaced the battery and now it counts down and shuts off. Any luck keeping it on . Jack jss5225@gmail.com

I have a 91 datamax same thing replaced the battery and now it counts down and shuts off. Any luck keeping it on . Jack jss5225@gmail.com

I have a 1990 that would count down and then go blank. I unscrewed the back access panel (it has three holes in it) with an allen wrench. Then as it got close to the end of its countdown sequence, I gently pushed on the diaphram under that access panel. The unit then went into surface mode as usual. hope this helps

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom