How to take care of Foggy Masks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nunomix

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi fellow divers,

I have a very basic question for you. When you buy a new mask, it always gets foggy.

Some people say to clean it with toothbrush or with detergent and warm water.

I would like to ask you guys how to make that layer that makes the mask foggy disappear for good.

Thanks in advance.

nunomix:
Hi fellow divers,

I have a very basic question for you. When you buy a new mask, it always gets foggy.

Some people say to clean it with toothbrush or with detergent and warm water.

I would like to ask you guys how to make that layer that makes the mask foggy disappear for good.

Thanks in advance.
Bon Ami

Here is what I do... as soon as I get my mask I use Softscrub on the mask (use just my finger with the softscrub). After I have softscrubed it for several minutes, I use some defog and try it out in the pool. If it still fogs up, then I repeat. Only had to repeat it once. Course I always use Defog before diving...never spit...too many bacteria in the human mouth, I prefer to not add any additional bacteria to the mask than needed. :wink:

There was a thread just below that was like 5 pages long about mask fogging.. and I was just reading through it yesterday.. So you asked a good question at a good timing!

Here's the thing. Usually my mask does okay in the ocean, but I went to my first pool class as part of the divemaster training, and my mask fogged like crazy. (my OW training was all in the sea) So, I checked a few things out.

First of all, the silicone on a new mask is not easy to remove. Tooth paste it like 5 times, the glass and the silicone parts. I brushed it with an old toothbrush just to make it easier. 5 times with fingers is going to be tiring.

The consensus on how to apply defog seems to be:
1. apply to dry mask
1.5 you can dry the defog before rinsing, but didn't seem to make much of a difference
2. rinse just before use
3. don't touch the defog when rinsing. Swirl the water around by moving the mask.
4. Once you've rinsed, use it. If it dries after rinsing, wet it again before using. Or you can do a mask clear once you get in the water.

After I've done all these steps, I could blow nose air straight into the mask for several minutes and still not get fog. (experimented on dry land tho) The only reason I quit the nose blowing experiment was because I didn't want to roam around the house with a mask on my face. Just as a reference, without defog, the mask fogged up on the second nose blow, 5 seconds into the experiment.

And why it didn't work in the pool was, I rinsed with pool water, and that seemed to have washed the defog off. Rinse with fresh water if at pool.

Anyway, the rule of thumb is, it always has to be glass, a layer of pure defog, a layer of defog mixed with water, and then air. I think. I'm wondering about the "layer of pure defog" which translates to step 1.5, letting the defog dry before rinsing.. it probably helps make the defog last longer because letting it dry creates a denser layer of defog compared to rinsing right after applying.

I was also wondering about applying dry when not diving, and do the "buff untill dry" thing. In theory, it'll create a thin layer of defog that dries up and sticks to the glass, and each time you apply defog on the boat, you'll always have a thin layer of pure/although very dry defog come first, and then the defog you apply.. so ideally, it'll work like a saftguard shield.. But that's just my guess. Anyone know?

I have used both toothpaste and soft scrup to initially clean the mold release from the inside of the lens. Before each dive, I put a small amount of defogger (I believe the brand is 500psi and it is a gel) on the lens and let it dry for a few minutes. Once I hit the water, I rinse the defogger off the lens and dive. Since I started allowing the defogger to dry on the lens, I have never had fogging issues.

Yup....you have to clean the mask first when you buy it as others have said. Later you can either use a defogger like Sea Drops/Gel or just use spit (I never thought that my own bacteria would cause me a problem and so far it never did!)
Of course the best spit is Uncle Pugs but I'm not sure if he sells it! (bacteria might be a problem here!!!) :D

I have diluted Johnson's baby shampoo that I put in a spray bottle and use that as a defogger. Toothpaste on a new mask. My theory is that I think these items are more biologically and environmentally friendly, but I honestly don't know if my theory is well grounded or just random.

I would not use a toothbrush on my mask, toothpaste yes, toothbrush no.

You risk leaving the surface covered in micro-scratches unless you have a really well worn very soft one with no more sharp edges on the bristles.

Thanks. I guess the toothpaste is the most used still. I had a guy in Cuba do my mask (which would get foggy like hell) and in one time he made the mask not fog anymore.

I never had to use any defog product.. Anything. And it doesnt get foggy at all... I heard he does it with a lighter... But I did not see it , so I dont know how he did. And I also dont want to try without knowing :)

Cheers..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom