How to take care of Foggy Masks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of course there is that water that always accumulates in the bottom of your mask that works great if you swish it arround a little.

Mask defogging is generating a new branch of science!

1. Sit yourself down in front of the TV for at least an hour with a bottle of Softscrub/toothpaste or some other fine abrasive and scour!

2. The lighter works but be very careful not to damage the silicone skirt. The lighter should leave behind a small amount of soot too, which can also act as an abrasive.

3. When you defog before getting into the water you want to leave a thin layer of defog on the lens, disrupts the surface tension of water etc. therefore, no fog! Diluted baby shampoo is by far the best.

4. At a pinch, if you find yourself underwater and fogging up make sure you installed a neoprene mask strap, the oils it collects from your scalp seem to work pretty well. Certain slimy algaes work, but the big discalimer, make sure that you are not putting something massively toxic in your mask!

There are a whole load of other solutions so pay around, and as was mentioned previously, if you just keep sloshing water around in your mask there won't be any fog!

Whatgoesdown:

1. Sit yourself down in front of the TV for at least an hour with a bottle of Softscrub/toothpaste or some other fine abrasive and scour!

2. The lighter works but be very careful not to damage the silicone skirt. The lighter should leave behind a small amount of soot too, which can also act as an abrasive.

3. When you defog before getting into the water you want to leave a thin layer of defog on the lens, disrupts the surface tension of water etc. therefore, no fog! Diluted baby shampoo is by far the best.

4. At a pinch, if you find yourself underwater and fogging up make sure you installed a neoprene mask strap, the oils it collects from your scalp seem to work pretty well. Certain slimy algaes work, but the big discalimer, make sure that you are not putting something massively toxic in your mask!

There are a whole load of other solutions so pay around, and as was mentioned previously, if you just keep sloshing water around in your mask there won't be any fog!

All I can say is WOW!

As several people have said Baby Shampoo really is the best way to have a clear mask on a dive, rub it in well then rinse it. The detergent in it makes your glass immaculately clean and being for babies it won't irritate your eyes. It is also cheap.
As for getting a brand new mask ready for diving, this is just a matter of scrubbing with a good detergent. Repeatedly.

Whatgoesdown:

Gregoire:
I went hardcore and used Ajax in my mask, worked great

AJAX??????

Yikes. :ignore:

Strange yellow liquid soap that came out of a rather scary/industrial strength looking container kept behind the rental counter, rubbed for about a minute just using a finger, then half rinsed out and rubbed for another minute before completely rinsing and rubbing all traces of the soap out worked for mine in one go, hasn't killed me yet, whatever may have been in it...

I only use spit for defog - bacteria-wise, if it's good enough to clean a contact lens if I don't have any lens solution available, it's probably not going to make my eyes grow strange things only being used in a mask. It's free and readily available, and if you're having trouble making enough, you might not be drinking enough water...I can *still* hear the echoes of my AOW instructor constantly ordering us to drink!

They are correct. The new mask have a gell type substance that is not easy to get out of a mask. I tell students to leave it on the sink for a week or so and everytime you wash your hands, wash the mask. THEN< > something that really works.. I have a large snap on my BCD. If I take my mask off in the water I snap my mask off to that snap. 1. I cannot drop it (around my neck bothers me) 2. it stays in the water and will not fog when i put it back on to go down again. Jut thought I would throw that in for free. lol clay

I used "Sea Buff" on my new mask. It works great for the initial cleaning, and I use the same stuff for my dive slate.

To clean, I use gojo - that orange hand cleaner - I also dont use my fingers, I rub it in with a paper towel. The problem with toothpaste is it doesn't have any mild abrasives in it like it used to.

As for defog - johnsons baby shampoo mixed with water in a spray bottle works awesome.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom