Hunting with bottles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In California it is legal to spearfish on SCUBA. I do it and I spearfish freediving. I do it for the same reason a lot of others do, to put food on the table. It may not be as sporting, as some people put it, but it works for me. I don't spear everything that moves, I choose my shots and spear only legal sized, in season fish. I don't see why it concerns anyone else how I hunt as long as I'm following all the rules.
On a related note, I actually have found that in the shallows here it isn't any easier to spearfish with a tank than free diving. The fish are very skittish around bubble blowers so its actually easier to get up close while breath holding, how's that sporting? sneaking up on the poor little fishies :wink:. just kidding.
For me hunting underwater is another way to appreciate the ocean and life, whether it be catching lobster, spearing fish or collecting scallops. I like the fact that I catch only what I am going to eat and nothing else and the fact that I know I caught it, cleaned it and cooked it myself. To each his own I guess.

shooter226:
Their are commercial spearfishermen. :05:
Yes, there are - and they are more efficient than hook-and-line or net fishermen. But the waste in the rest of the commercial process is still there - spoilage, mainly.
Rick

The fish in supermarkets & restaraunts are mostly provided by netting & longlining. Some, a very tiny percentage, are supplied by commercial spear fishing.

When I go spearing, I make 2, maybe 3 dives. I may bring home 1 nice fish, or maybe a few of a smaller species such as sheepshead. This is what my spear fishing take looks like at the end of a very successful day:

stu-gag.jpg

I shot one fish. No other fish died without being used in order to get that one. Most days I don't get a fish like that one. I get a few triggerfish or sheepshead, maybe an amberjack or a barracuda, a few flounder.

In contrast, here's an interesting picture of a longline catch being harvested. I'd say it's a safe bet that any fish on this line will not be released alive, no matter how small or what species, bc they are mostly dead by the time they make it back to the boat. These lines run for miles. 8, 10 or even more miles, per line.

Spearfishing, with or without scuba, simply can not possibly have an impact on the resource when compared to commercial ops like this. It's like being worried about a fart in a tornado.

Attachment.jpg

Wayward, I saw that picture earlier today and it just blew me away.

Anyone wonder where all the red grouper are?

For the record, I don't know where the pic is from nor what species those are. They *look* like reg grouper to me & a lot of other people, but I have heard one person claim they're another species caught in deep water off the coast of CA.

As yet, it's unconfirmed. My point was not to disparage commercial fishing ops, but to put a little perspective to all of this. A fishing boat needs to see that. Fish, lots of fish. That's why they're out there, it's how they make there living. Consumers want them out there so they can go to the store & buy a few of those happy volunteers to take home for dinner.

The unfortunate reality is that such methods do suffer a lot of bycatch, which means that they catch species that they are not after, and/or too small specimens of the species that they do want. A very high percentage of this bycatch dies, so you're not enjoying the benefit of catch & release where they get put back to grow up for later.

When we spear, we have the advantage of being able to be very selective in choosing what to take. We don't kill redfish while hunting grouper, for example, for the simple reason that we can see what we're after. With H&L or nets, you don't have that choice. You bring in whatever gets caught.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom