Hunting with bottles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Azza:
My Partner has a similar outlook on the meat industry.
She is a strict vegetarian and wont eat anything that resulted from the death of an animal. That includes marshmellow (Gelatine) and crisps(chips whatever you call them) along with a lot of other stuff people don't realise an animal has died for.
I on the other hand have personally killed a fair few animals in the name of food, so I will eat anything:D

Azza, I'm pretty cool with vegans. I respect the fact that they actually practice what they preach. Alot of people will criticize though, then run down to the supermarket and get themselves a nice t-bone steak. :06:

Canadian_Diver:
Hey Mike.

It's legal to spearfish any non-game fish. Atleast it is in Manitoba.

In Ontario:
"sport fishing" means the taking of fish for non-commercial purposes by angling or by means of hook and line, spear, dip net, bait-fish trap, seine net or bow and arrow;
O. Reg. 351/04, s. 1.

So there is no legal difference between fishing with a hook or fishing with a spear. Same bag limits, restrictions etc. as applies to your fishing license. Which you must carry with you at all times while fishing.

derwoodwithasherwood:
In Ontario:
"sport fishing" means the taking of fish for non-commercial purposes by angling or by means of hook and line, spear, dip net, bait-fish trap, seine net or bow and arrow;
O. Reg. 351/04, s. 1.

So there is no legal difference between fishing with a hook or fishing with a spear. Same bag limits, restrictions etc. as applies to your fishing license. Which you must carry with you at all times while fishing.

Erm, let me rephrase ... you can spear on scuba, any fish that is not a part of the Manitoba Master Angler program.

That means, burbot, and other mostly unwanted fish.

To steal a quote from Ted Nugent....

"Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak."

I'd have to say my least hated, favorite fish would have to be sole...because you don't have to see the eyes.

This is some quote from a Pink Floyd (or was it Roger Waters?) album. I think that most hunters (not all...) have respect for their kill because they can see the eyes. They know what they eat and can have respect for it. I don't think (aside from the laws) that there's a big difference (foodwise) between getting your food with scuba or by freediving.

Now...those freedivers get extra points on their macho cards, though.

Let me see, if you go to the local seafood restaurant and order a grilled ma hi ma hi, your OK, but if you go out and actually kill the animal you're a piece of crap? Is that the deal.

Well, don't wear shoes, because some brown eyed cow died to surrender that leather right off their rump. Don't go to McDonnell's for a burger, cause once again something died for you're lunch.

Let's see anyone survive on food from a non-living source. No, don't kill a plant for your food. Good luck!

Let's face it, if you want to live, something must die to give you life. Plant or animal, they have to go. Take your pick. Personally I think a fish exposed to a spear is a lot safer that one exposed to a net. At least the way I shoot . . .

Stan

serambin:
Let's face it, if you want to live, something must die to give you life. Plant or animal, they have to go. Take your pick. Personally I think a fish exposed to a spear is a lot safer that one exposed to a net. At least the way I shoot . . .

Yup. I'd rather be the person to make the kill than to say it's bad to hunt, yet go out and pay someone to kill'n'grill it for me.

I think this can all be boiled down to.... "Soylent Green...... is people!!"

Here in Saskatchewan scuba and spear is legal. Limits and species are the same of that of angling.
I am an avid angler of both fresh and saltwater species. I am a responsible angler in that I keep only what I will eat(none in the freezer) and don't keep the larger of the species.

The same goes if I am spearfishing. I have only freedove and spearfished as of yet, but am looking forward to scuba and spearfishing. As long as we are responsible I see no difference in the different legal methods of capturing fish.

i love vegetarians....I wish everyone else was a vegetarian....leaves more meat for me

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom