Hunting with bottles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can't spear billfish here, period. Custom is irrelevant, the law doesn't permit it.

Regs vary widely. I think for the most part, in coastal states spearing on scuba is legal in saltwater. Fresh water is often very different.

Some examples of the odd regs we have:

In FL, you can spear in saltwater. No distinction is made between free diving & scuba. But some species which are legal to catch with hook & line, such as shark or redfish, may not be speared. Bag limits for species legal to spear are the same as for H&L fishermen.

FL freshwater, however, bans ALL spearing, even for species that are legal to spear in saltwater.

TN has no saltwater. Only non-game species may be speared, and unless it's changed in recent years, there is no restriction on scuba for it. But game fish such as bass, trout, crappie, walleye & such may not be speared.

And so it goes. One must be sure to study & understand the regs in the state in question before heading afield.

Hunting for food began a long time ago. It was the way people were able to " Put food on the Table". Supermarkets did not exist in those days. How do they ( supermarkets ) get the sea food they sell. We all know that answer. It is done professionallly and not with much care for the sea life that gets caught in their nets. I'm sure we all agree on that.

Hunting is a sport. Whether it is done on land or water. So, if it is legal to hunt, then I do not see problem in it.

I'm not a hunter on land, but feel that if you get your game and eat it then that is ok. Conversely, if you are a hunter of the sea and get your game and eat it that is ok.

Most hunters on land or sea that I know eat what they get from " Hunting ". As long as it is done LEGALLY I DO NOT SEE WHY ANYONE WOULD OBJECT.

This is as simple as it gets. My $0.02.

Joe

Azza:
We had a guy here who speared a marlin at 30 metres, and landed it. He has a 3 minute "working time" at 30 metres on one breath. Thats sport. However he said he will never ever spear a marlin again and was quite upset at himself for doing it.

Freediving is a sport, spearfishing isn't a sport although you need to be in very good condition to spear anything beyond 20m/66f deep.

ChillyWaters:
OUCH! You don't think much of your wife?!?!

- ChillyWaters
Alas, as every relationship cruises along, there are shoals along the way to be navigated. Suffice to say, this has been an ongoing discussion for some time. Since we take turns dropping each other off our boat, it's not an issue since she won't spear deep soloing on scuba.

JRScuba:
Hunting for food began a long time ago. It was the way people were able to " Put food on the Table". Supermarkets did not exist in those days. How do they ( supermarkets ) get the sea food they sell. We all know that answer. It is done professionallly and not with much care for the sea life that gets caught in their nets. I'm sure we all agree on that.

Hunting is a sport. Whether it is done on land or water. So, if it is legal to hunt, then I do not see problem in it.

I'm not a hunter on land, but feel that if you get your game and eat it then that is ok. Conversely, if you are a hunter of the sea and get your game and eat it that is ok.

Most hunters on land or sea that I know eat what they get from " Hunting ". As long as it is done LEGALLY I DO NOT SEE WHY ANYONE WOULD OBJECT.

This is as simple as it gets. My $0.02.

Joe

I object. It is cruel. Nobody needs to hunt now days. We have this thing called the supermarket!

miskatonic:
I object. It is cruel. Nobody needs to hunt now days. We have this thing called the supermarket!

Er, where do you think the fish there come from? Scooped up in a net and allowed to slowly die in a cargo hold...

FrediSub:
spearfishing isn't a sport.

Then why bother doing it? Surely it's easier to go pay some dude at a fish farm to let you stand on the bulkheads and shoot a few fish to put on your dinner table.
When I go hunting for Pig or Deer, its not only to put food on the table but also because it is sport. It's meeting them on their own turf and having to outwit them. Sometimes I win, sometimes they win.
Otherwise I would just line up at the supermarket and buy it, or even go see some dude at a deer farm and ask him if I can enter his paddock to nail myself a good stag.
99% of spearo's here consider spearing a sport as well as putting food on the table.

Back
Top Bottom