Hunting with bottles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

in France (I do not know exactly for the rest of Europe) it is not only illegal to spearfish with bottles, it is illegal to have both materials on the same boat, even if they belong to different people. The only exception (to have them on the same boat) is if you can prove that you live for a long period on the boat (more than 1 week for sure :wink:)

Canadian Diver, question for you.

I am Canadian (sound like a beer commercial now...)
but i have no idea about the law at home. Is it legal or illegal to spear on Scuba in Canada?

Thanks
M

As for spearing on scuba in the states being a relatively new phenomena, anyone who thinks so may find this video interesting. It is with Ray Odor, and has footage dating back to 1953:

http://www.fishkillavids.com/videos/rayodorinterview.wmv

Canadian_Diver:
So, although spearfishing/hunting with a SCUBA system may or may not necessarily be 'poaching', it most certainly is highly illegal. By partaking in an illegal activity, you are giving all scuba divers a black mark .... and risking the ire of groups such as PETA (crazy terrorists) lobbying for ban of diving in certain areas, or the outright ban of spearfishing all together.

The end point is, you are breaking the law, whether you think it is right or not.

In some jurisdictions, but not in others. No one should violate game laws, but just because a practice is illegal in one area doesn't make it so in another. In Florida it is legal and therefore perfectly ok to do so.

Hunting while free diving is more difficult, but hunting on SCUBA is not as easy as most of you seem to think. In some ways, it is easier to hunt free diving because you don't have bubbles to frighten the fish.

Can spearfishing have an impact on fish populations? Of course, but if done responsibily (and it isn't always) it is much less harmful than either netting or line fishing. Spearfishermen take fewer fish and there are fewer of them doing it.

Walter:
Can spearfishing have an impact on fish populations? Of course, but if done responsibily (and it isn't always) it is much less harmful than either netting or line fishing. Spearfishermen take fewer fish and there are fewer of them doing it.

I most definitely agree with you there. I abhore the idea of commercial longlining, trawling, and purseining but i don't have a problem with spearfishing at all. You eat what you catch and no by-catch....perfect and by far the least destructive method of fishing out there...

Just interesting about the laws regarding scuba and no scuba in different areas

Mike Veitch:
I most definitely agree with you there. I abhore the idea of commercial longlining, trawling, and purseining but i don't have a problem with spearfishing at all. You eat what you catch and no by-catch....perfect and by far the least destructive method of fishing out there...

Just interesting about the laws regarding scuba and no scuba in different areas

in fact as paolo put it, spearfishing is the least destructive mode of fishing. you only eat what you catch.

Spoon:
in fact as paolo put it, spearfishing is the least destructive mode of fishing. you only eat what you catch.

Thats what i just said...:)

AND, I ask, how am I supposed to get a fresh hogfish dinner without shooting one? I know MANY people who shoot fish on scuba and they are some of the ecologically minded divers around. There is far more eco-damage done by careless divers with cameras than people who spearfish. I know that the fish that I (and my friends) shoot are of legal size, in season, and edible. Can you say the same about regular old hook and line fishing?

Rachel

I dit that as child ,but today when im down the sea i hang out mostly there to find antique buildings and those ,i never bring thise off wail its the deads ownd, thats fat veg. fish no one care for is a harpoon victim mostofen here when he comes throu and whants to eat...that is most unsportly thing to do at all,well not all time it must be a big one the harpoon let not much of then stay......

7*

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom