I don't get side mount?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love to see them donning/removing the tanks when the surface current/surge is strong.

I find it easier to just walk up the ladder with my tanks in place and remove them at the bench. Since the tanks sit lower on your body giving you a lower center of gravity, you're actually more stable walking a pitching deck in sidemount than in backmount. And if a 62 year old fat guy can do it, I fail to see the problem ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I guess if you don't see the need or point of side mount then you do not think you have any problems that would be solved by it, so the answer is simple, don't bother with it, it is not compulsory !

For me I wanted to carry extra and fully redundant air - I dive in the UK, cold water, sometimes long dives, and a real risk of free flows etc. I tried back mount doubles, and really struggled with valve drills etc. in my drysuit. So I tried side mount - and it works for me, I can rig up, carry my cylinders to the water, hop in, clip on, and off I go, valves are easy peasy to reach, and I have my full redundant gas supply - lovely.

But when I dive open water in Cyprus I don't bother, I dive single tank back mount unless I am going deep when I will take a bailout of some sort.

So I don't think it is better than back mount, single or doubles, but in certain circumstances it works better for me, so I'll use it. But if you want to dive back mount doubles because that works for you I won't try to change your mind, and will happily buddy with you.

P
This is about the best response so far.
So it's an alternative to back mounted doubles then?
I always thought back mounted doubles with valves up was a flawed system when it comes to valve handling. The tanks need to be too high to be able to reach the valves and when the rig is set lower the balance and trim issues are cured but then it's harder to reach valves.
I can see how SM cured this problem, when the need calls for double cylinders.

Maybe, in some cases,... but backmount bailout would not work very well with myCCR, as my diluent, O2 & scrubber canister are all mounted on my back, already. Bailouts must either be slung or sidemounted. Sure there are BOV's,... but then a small 23 cuft diluent bottle will not typically have enough gas to get you out of a cave.

don't tend to backmount deco either ...!

Side mounting was designed originally for one purpose over 20 years ago. For Cave Diving in tight places!!! More recently in the cave community it has evolved into two purposes. 1: mission specific cave dives. 2: change in cave diving lifestyle.
I went sidemount 7 years ago for lifestyle reasons. It's easier on my back and knees. Especially using two steel 120's, one Al 40 and any number of "stage" bottles. I dolly my gear to the spring edge and put the tanks on at chest depth.
A additional benefit is with the additional streamline configurations I can go just as far with sidemount steel 80's as I could mackmount 95's.
And the nice fuzzy feeling of having all my valves and regulators in front of me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I asked instructors in the shop this question a while ago and of course got the same reasonings. You have to be in a siruation where it makes sense (cave diving, wreck penetration, bad back, etc.). I never use doubles. With most of my dives being simple shallow shore dives with the car parked close, it just doesn't make sense. On the rare charter I take, they are the typical 2 tank trips, so you just switch tanks. But I can see all those other reasons to use sidemount.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is that it can be a large nuisance form a setup standpoint. One thing you will never see a side mounter try and argue is that it is easier or faster to setup, simply because it isn't.

I was coming out of a cave dive a few days ago and surfaced with my buddy. The stairs were very wide, but four side mount divers had blocked the entire way pretty effectively. They offered to let us out (exiting divers have the right away), and we said "It's okay, we can wait a few minutes." 15 minutes later of messing with bungee and clips ONE of the four was finally able to be fully configured and clear out of the way.

Now not everyone is that slow probably, but it's a pretty common sentiment that others side-mounting can affect you, particularly on boats where setup and entry/exit space is at a premium.

As far as required for caves, there are few caves that actually would require it. The more advanced/cutting edge of exploration/laying line may necessitate it, but how many side mount divers are involved with that?

/rant

No, not really. Depends on system and the divers experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

---------- Post added September 14th, 2014 at 07:47 AM ----------

I asked instructors in the shop this question a while ago and of course got the same reasonings. You have to be in a siruation where it makes sense (cave diving, wreck penetration, bad back, etc.). I never use doubles. With most of my dives being simple shallow shore dives with the car parked close, it just doesn't make sense. On the rare charter I take, they are the typical 2 tank trips, so you just switch tanks. But I can see all those other reasons to use sidemount.

Were they "sidemount" instructors?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is about the best response so far.
So it's an alternative to back mounted doubles then?
I always thought back mounted doubles with valves up was a flawed system when it comes to valve handling. The tanks need to be too high to be able to reach the valves and when the rig is set lower the balance and trim issues are cured but then it's harder to reach valves.
I can see how SM cured this problem, when the need calls for double cylinders.

I would say it's much easier to get the tanks right backmount than go SM and learn all the new configurations and skills. BM tanks do not need to be high up to get the trim right - the higher up they are the harder to get the valves - most problems come from the suit. If you can get some really good help with trim and kit BM doubles really do work easily. I struggled for a very long time until the penny dropped - and my main issue was the tanks mounted too high. I also recently did a SM course for cave diving and found it to be not to my liking. I do however see that having the valves in your face can be seen as an advantage. It is (as mentioned) a good work around to renting doubles if travelling. SM is a tool - to use when appropriate. The current fad for OW SM is just a fad driven by the training industry's need to sell courses. A lot of divers like new kit to play with. I will not bother with SM but don't let me stop anyone - take a course and see if you like it or not - if, of course, you have any need for it.

I find it easier to just walk up the ladder with my tanks in place and remove them at the bench. Since the tanks sit lower on your body giving you a lower center of gravity, you're actually more stable walking a pitching deck in sidemount than in backmount. And if a 62 year old fat guy can do it, I fail to see the problem ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
When you have seen those ladders used on most Philippines diving boats, you will realize that walking up is NOT an option for SM diver regardless of age and physique.
If you are "invading" Philippines in 2016 with SB you will understand what I meant!!

double 72's or double 50's for me in that situation. Brilliant little tanks for lightweight doubles

sidemount (i hesitate to say SM) is like sex, a lot of talk and not much action.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom