I don't get side mount?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went sidemount primarily because it was a cheaper way to dive doubles. I already had two regulators and two tanks. I was lead to believe that installing/removing a manifold is a complete PITA and therefore you should dedicate manifold doubles to the task. This meant for me that I'd have to buy a manifold and an extra set of tanks. The flip side of that was to buy a sidemount BCD. I did end up also buying some new hoses but all in all I saved well over $500.

It broke down like this:
Backmount:
2 tanks
2 valves
manifold
bands
doubles wing

Sidemount:
2 HP hoses
1 valve
BCD

It was in prep for cave classes and the instructor was recommending SM anyway. However, now that I know a little more about it. The concept of removing tanks, squeezing through and reattaching them. Something I probably won't be attempting for years. So it turns out this is not really relevant. By that time I could be diving a rebreather or something.

The sidemount class came integrated into the cost of the BCD.

I'm gonna have to concur with TS&M. Shore diving in sidemount is a real PAIN IN THE BUTT. Next time I shore dive it will be backmount single. The shore dives available to me don't require doubles anyway, I was just getting practice in that configuration at the time.

Eric, for kayak diving it would be almost perfect, hang the tank on a loop of line hanging off of the kayak, hop it, clip the top, clip the bottom, snap the bungee and go. It is the only way I will willingly dive single tanks now. If forced I'll still put them on my back, but twin 72's win the backmount setup for me. Sidemount isn't easy in real cold water, so again, twinsets win that for me. I have my setup now to where I can manipulate it with drygloves, but the simplicity of twinsets really hits home when you have dives in those conditions. Light twins like steel LP50's/72's/85's/HP100's make quick work of walking around.

For some of us it is a combination of a tool and a lifestyle. Given the choice I will dive sidemount, but unlike a lot of the sidemounters out there I fully recognize that backmount is superior under many different circumstances. For me that is most boat diving due to ladders alone. I'll dive sidemount if we're already having stages/deco bottles handed to us and pulled up, but a lot of sidemount guys inside on diving sidemount when everyone else is in backmount, i.e. rec charters, and they cause loads of headaches for the mates. I'll dive single tank sidemount on some shore dives, but greatly prefer my twin 72's for that task because of the simplicity. Spearfishing wins for backmount as well. The lifestyle part for me stems around having bad knees and history of back problems in my family. It was a preemptive measure for cave diving where you are carrying heavy tanks around for much longer distances than boat diving. I didn't want to run the risk of blowing a knee out and being forced to learn how to sidemount on top of having to relearn how to kick at the same time, so that's the lifestyle for me.

I was in the Philippines last year for two weeks and on that trip was a guy who owns a dive shop out west. For much of the trip he was diving sidemount or should I say he was trying to get the hang of diving sidemount. We struck up a good conversation about sidemount diving and I pretty much asked the same question Eric asked at the beginning of this thread. This was his perspective.

He felt sidemount diving had a place when it comes to cave diving and perhaps some deeper technical dives. However, he didn't see a real benefit for the vast majority of divers who are just doing your typical recreational dives. But his shop was going to start promoting and offering courses in sidemount diving to recreational divers. When I asked why he said it was all about selling more gear and that's why folks are starting to see sidemount diving being promoted in the usual OW diving community. If a customer comes into his shop and buys a set of gear and takes good care of it, the gear can last them for many years. So how do you sell that diver more gear? You introduce them to a new style of diving that would require the purchase of new gear. That, he said, was the biggest reason more shops are starting to offer sidemount diving to its customers.

Since I don't work for a shop I'll offer a different perspective. I started diving sidemount because I'm at an age where wear and tear has made it virtually impossible for me to reach backmount valves anymore. I found myself faced with a choice ... either quit doing dives that require doubles or find an alternative configuration that would allow me to do them safely. About the time I was considering my options I happened to do a trip with Curt Bowen, who was diving sidemount. It was the first time I'd ever seen a sidemount rig. After watching him use it, I decided it was a worthwhile option.

After looking into alternatives for equipment and training, I decided that I wanted to be trained by someone who dives sidemount all the time, rather than by an open water instructor who took it up as a sideline in order to add it to his repertoire of class offerings. So I traveled to Florida and took the class with Rob Neto ... in the caves of Marianna. Upon returning home I experimented with different configuration approaches that would make it easier to gear up in cold water gear, including drygloves. Shortly afterward I traveled to the Channel Islands, and decided to use that trip as an opportunity to experiment with using the configuration off a dive boat in sometimes rough conditions.

Some conclusions ...

- If you're looking for convenient, sidemount is not for you. Very little exists in terms of standardization, and the training spends a great deal of time on optimizing the rig to "fit" the individual. In almost every way, this is more effort than backmount. If, on the other hand, you're one of those people who loves to tinker with their gear, sidemount may have more appeal for you. In some respects, it parallels the arguments for backplate/wing ... it takes more effort to get everything just the way you like it, but once you do, it just feels so comfortable and streamlined.

- It's definitely not for the casual diver ... just more effort than it's worth if you only dive occasionally, or only do typical recreational profiles.

- I wouldn't recommend it for shore entries if you have surf or surge to deal with. If you need redundancy in those conditions, backmount single with pony bottle is the easiest option, followed by backmount doubles. In those conditions, the paramount consideration should be what you'd have to do to recover if a wave knocks you down on entry or exit. With sidemount you can always, as a last resort, unclip ... but that's easier said than done when you're getting pounded into the sand by waves. The one potential benefit of sidemount in those circumstances is that you won't roll.

- On a dive boat, entry is as much a consideration as exit. Depending on the boat configuration, sidemount may or may not be a reasonable option. Boats that have "gates" on the side for giant stride entry are usually built to accommodate a backmounted diver ... and the gates are often not wide enough to comfortably accommodate a sidemount diver. This means you either have to clip in at least one tank in the water or do a sideways giant stride entry. The latter isn't particularly difficult, but it does take a bit more care than the way you were taught in OW class. Backrolls can also be a concern, depending on your tank configuration and the boat.

Things I like sidemount for ...

- Solo dives ... while I can do these equally well with a backmount single and pony I do like the benefit of having both of my tanks independent, and equally useful rather than one for use and the other for bailout.

- Photography ... sidemount not only lets me get very low to the ground without touching the bottom (particularly useful for many types of macro photography), but because the "center of gravity" is where it is, it also makes it easier for me to get into and hold positions that are sometimes difficult to achieve in backmount.

- Go deep, stay long dives ... I'm talking dives at recreational depth where I want to spend a lot of time in the water ... 80 or 90 minute dives where I might hit 100 feet for a time and average 55 to 65 feet depth over the course of the dive. I live in a place where those kinds of profiles can be desireable at quite a number of dive sites.

In all of the above I'm talking specifically about open water diving at recreational depths.

Sidemount is more effort ... if you're shore diving you won't be walking to the water with your tanks on, but you still have to get them there. That means multiple trips ... and depending on how you do it, that can be a real PITA. On the other hand, it gives you some options you don't have with backmount if you're doing entries where you have to clamber over rocks to get to the water. The reverse is true coming out ... once again in reference to shore diving, it will take you longer to get out of the water. But, particularly when you're diving multiple cylinders, many people find making more than one trip to retrieve equipment preferable to carrying it all on your back ... particularly when that walk involves a hill.

There is no "formula" that determines which is better ... it depends on quite a number of things, involving your personality, your physical abilities, the dive profile, the entry/exit conditions, and how much effort you want to put into "optimizing" your configuration. It also, perhaps to an even larger extent, boils down to which configuration better fits what you see as advantages and drawbacks ... and we won't all see those the same way because of where we dive, how we dive, and why we dive ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

[Selling gear], he said, was the biggest reason more shops are starting to offer sidemount diving to its customers.
I'm sure this is a part of it for a lot of shops. I will say, however, that this is the main reason so many incompetent "muppets" are seen diving sidemount. All these morons taking two and a half hours to gear up, falling over, and just overall representing sidemount divers in the wrong way. If you don't get GOOD training (read: "GOOD", not "some") it'll take a lot of time to get your set up right. No setup is one-size-fit-all in sidemount.

For much of the trip he was diving sidemount or should I say he was trying to get the hang of diving sidemount.
It takes time OR experience to get it right, and this guy clearly had neither. If he had gone to a GOOD sidemount instructor, that would not be your opinion of him.

I went on my honeymoon in Mx and told the guys I was planning on diving sidemount. One guy rolled his eyes and told the other (in Spanish, in which I'm fluent) that he was going to have to watch me and I was going to be obnoxiously slow. They stuck me and the wifey with the "beginners" group. First dive, I rigged up my tank and got my BC on before we left the harbor and was the first diver in the water. Tank trim was perfect, hoses were perfect, my trim and buoyancy were good. Immediately, ALL of the instructors started asking about my setup, my training, my experience, what I liked/disliked, etc. They were shocked because they expected me to look like this guy. They asked if I had ever dove SM with two tanks. I said "yup." Next day was a two-tank dive on a wreck/reef trip. Dive1 was to ~105ft, Dive2 was to 50ft. I took both tanks on the first dive, breathed them evenly, then took both tanks on the second dive. I had to do this for balance. The reason? I dive MinGas, and one tank was not going to do it for me. Again, all of the instructors were right there asking me about my setup, training, experience, and how I did things because I was such a clean/quick diver. They ended up taking my wife and myself on the "good" trips, with just the Instructor/DMC so that we could do fun dives. They'd drop the group off on the shallow reef and take us on the good dives.

As for the original question: It was mostly a matter of flexibility for me. I find it much easier to adapt to SM once you get good training and some experience. In the diving I do, I have less issues diving SM than I would BM. I gear up quicker than many BM divers (I've had that "race" more than once) if I need to, but I can take my time as part of my pre-dive ritual if the opportunity is available. I find it more redundant and safer than BM doubles. That's in a theoretical world, but they're practically the same except for valve feathering drills....something SM can do that BM can't. I like the stability of SM.

Here's my story.

I live in a motorhome.
I travel the US and plan to dive everywhere I can.
I am a recreational diver but have my sights set on light tech /tecreational diving in the near future.
I dive in all water temperatures from all sorts of entries.
Because of my travelling nature I almost never dive with someone I know. Because of this I consider myself a solo diver with a buddy. I want to be fully redundant and self sufficient just in case.

I also want to get as much out of each dive that I can so I enjoy the extra gas. For me it isn't realistic to carry doubles in my RV. I would break my back trying to get them in and out of the lower storage bays or suit up with them out of the back of my mini. I also can't have more than one set of tanks due to size and weight restrictions of the motorhome.

I chose sidemount. I carry 3 tanks with me. This allows me to dive 1.5 tanks each dive to maximize dive times. I can breath both tanks down to half pressure on the first dive and then continue to breath one tank down further to rockbottom. Then between dives I swap out the one lower tank with a fresh tank. This ensures I always have enough air for any dive I am doing.
Sidemount also allows me to pull tanks forma shop and double them up or dive single 80's. Just this past week I was getting my tanks filled with Nitrox for a long weekend dive. The opportunity came up for a shore dive at night that didn't require nitrox so I just grabbed a couple of 80's from the shop and put my straps on them for the dive.

Most of my dives have been from boats and I haven't had any problems so far. I've been on big boats where I can walk right up the ladder and I've been on small boats where I take everything off including my BCD and then shamu myself up onto the deck.

I use the dive rite ring bungees. This system works great because you can clip in the tanks quickly and you don't have to do further fiddling with bungees while underwater.

I will admit though that I also like to take photos. A backmount system where I didn't switch regs while diving would be a little more easier, but the ability to do my own bubble checks, shutdown my own valves quickly and easily, and have a completely redundant system out weigh the minor inconvenience of switching regs a few times each dive.

Also this weekend when diving the Keystorm in the St Lawrence I was able to easily swim upside down (belly up) while photographing the pilot house form below. I'm not sure I could have pulled that off as easily with back mounted doubles.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned valve down doubles and using that as an alternative to standard upright doubles or sidemount.
Akimbo on this board has developed a great valve protector so an inverted twin set could be set down for gearing up and also for general protection.
That would give access to easy valve manipulation behind you.
Having two rounded ends up would give a place for your head to go without banging it on a crossbar, and a small short set like HP 80's (bowling balls) could be used because they could be set as low as needed to optimize trim.

Just a thought.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned valve down doubles and using that as an alternative to standard upright doubles or sidemount.
Akimbo on this board has developed a great valve protector so an inverted twin set could be set down for gearing up and also for general protection.
That would give access to easy valve manipulation behind you.
Having two rounded ends up would give a place for your head to go without banging it on a crossbar, and a small short set like HP 80's (bowling balls) could be used because they could be set as low as needed to optimize trim.

Just a thought.

Or a new overhead/back entanglement point .... Just sayin.....

Use the best tools for the job and take down only what you need. If SM fits the bill then use it... if not then don't. It's an option and in same cases a very practical approach for a dive - in other cases maybe not.

What's "practical" is entirely up to you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom