I Don't Know How Instructors Do It

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001 once bubbled...

Mike, I've honestly never seen anything this chaotic in training. How can you say that this is the state of the art? Maybe some instructors are this bad but I find it a pretty big generalization to say that's it all like that.
Well ...... i've seen most all these things happen but never in the same class or at the same time. It's almost like he put every problem he has ever heard of, that happened in an open water class, into his story.

IMO, show me an instructor who has never seen problems like this and i'll show you an instructor who hasn't taught many classes. I don't care how good your control or training techniques are .... "*hit happens", when teaching something that can be as task loading as scuba is to some newer divers.

Teaching scuba is just like teaching anything else. Some people "get it" faster than others. Some people are less coordinated than others, some pay attention better than others, some people have a better attitude for learning, etc.

Expecting classes to go smoothly all the time is not being realistic FME. Heck, a big part of being a good instructor is learning to recognize potential problems and stop them before they happen.

gedunk,
Next summer I'm going to pay your way down here for a weekend to watch. In the last year there's been a couple people from the board who use to argue with me who dived here and have changed their tune.

And..every trip to the quarry (and I don't go there unless I have to) it gets worse.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
gedunk,
Next summer I'm going to pay your way down here for a weekend to watch. In the last year there's been a couple people from the board who use to argue with me who dived here and have changed their tune.

And..every trip to the quarry (and I don't go there unless I have to) it gets worse.

Can you pay my way too... :)

R..

R..

LOL, if you can get to where gedunk is on your own I'll take care of it from there.

When's Gedunk coming down...I need to meet him.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
gedunk,

No need to pay Mike, i am there if we can work out the scheduling. Maybe i can bring my video rig and tape your class to post on the SB for posperity. Ps: no loading the OW class with ringers either.:)

My only problem is do i have to come to you and dive in a quarry? I'm spoiled rotten up here with the great diving in the numerous inland and Great lakes we typically dive in.

Quarries are like sespools to us.:wink: The only one i have ever been to is Gilboa, years ago, and i wasn't impressed.

I'd like to meet you too Tony. I might have to show you how Michiganians swill beer .... after the diving is done of course!:wink:

R..

Lets see the Netherlands to Michigan in the US of A?

I'll donate the gas money and drive you to Mikes' quarry of choice if you can get here. Hey, the Yukon is a smooth ride!

gedunk once bubbled...

Lets see the Netherlands to Michigan in the US of A?

I'll donate the gas money and drive you to Mikes' quarry of choice if you can get here. Hey, the Yukon is a smooth ride!

I've never been to Michigan. It sounds like some deep dark scary place at the end of the world. Besides you are there any other people living there? I need to know what I'm getting myself into.... LOL

R..

It's a deal. The only thing is I'm not teaching that many classes any more. If you weren't impressed with Gilboa there isn't any quarry that will impress you. LOL

I've never been to Michigan. It sounds like some deep dark scary place at the end of the world. Besides you are there any other people living there? I need to know what I'm getting myself into.... LOL

R..

No no no! The deep dark scary places are the quarries not the great state of Michigan. One thing we do have is arguably the hottest Governor in the union, Jennifer Granholm .... so we have that going for us. :)
www.michigan.gov/gov

"If you weren't impressed with Gilboa there isn't any quarry that will impress you. LOL"

Mike,
I know and i do feel sorry for you folks! :eek:ut:

Get me a rough idea of your OW schedule when you have it. Lets see what we can work out.

Back
Top Bottom