I don't think you're doing it right...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's probably worth mentioning here that we're only hearing one side of this...

The OP admits that they're not really sure what depth they were at. Do they know the difference between an instructor and a DM? I know from my own experience with nondivers that there are plenty who think that someone with a spiffy title like Dive Master must know more than a lowly instructor.

It's probably worth mentioning here that we're only hearing one side of this...

The OP admits that they're not really sure what depth they were at. Do they know the difference between an instructor and a DM? I know from my own experience with nondivers that there are plenty who think that someone with a spiffy title like Dive Master must know more than a lowly instructor.

I'll admit, I don't know what the difference is. The important point is there was a scuba diving instructor who took us to 10 m.

I asked him, "At what depth did we do those exercises?" His response was 10 m.

Within PADI standards, you can conduct a DSD to a max of 12m, I believe that instructors can conduct DSD while the students hang off a line/ladder/bar off the end of a boat, within 2m(? seems a bit deep for first timers) from the surface. I'm not too sure what exactly the standards state but I remember something like that anyway.

That was how I was introduced to diving in Cairns.

Within PADI standards, you can conduct a DSD to a max of 12m, I believe that instructors can conduct DSD while the students hang off a line/ladder/bar off the end of a boat, within 2m(? seems a bit deep for first timers) from the surface. I'm not too sure what exactly the standards state but I remember something like that anyway.

That was how I was introduced to diving in Cairns.

Same here, but frankly, I found it a little sketchy, and I wouldn't recommend that any of my friends get started this way. (Of course, I loved it, which is why you find me here at SB today. But something just felt off about this approach, especially once I actually knew what could go wrong.)

I'll admit, I don't know what the difference is. The important point is there was a scuba diving instructor who took us to 10 m.

I asked him, "At what depth did we do those exercises?" His response was 10 m.

I'm not suprised that you wouldn't. I certainly didn't know the difference when I did my first dive. That's why these details are important. In most agencies, a DM is an entry level professional certification, with less training than an Assistant Instructor. A DM cannot take a group out in open water for a Discover SCUBA dive, unless they are doing so as an assistant to an actual instructor.

It's entirely possible that your DSD was a total and complete violation of all the accepted standards of safety. It's also entirely possible that all standards were followed. We really can't tell from the information you've been able to provide. Sadly, that's often the case, since it's quite likely that a person on a DSD will not know what questions to ask. That's one reason there are some (I am not one of them) who are opposed to the very concept of DSDs.

It's unfortunate that you didn't have the perfect first experience. I'd encourage you to find a different operator, one that makes you feel more comfortable, and experience the world of SCUBA again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom