I have a Nitrox question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Again, remember that there is no human alive who can process data and recalulate formulae faster than a micro-processor driven wet computer! No, not even our beloved Uncle Pug.

P.S.---Should there be, Professor Xavier is looking for him or her to join his school! :wacko:

In reference to my first post, I would have to say that you will note that I am not disagreeing with the basic thrust of what Uncle Pug is saying.

You MUST have a firm grasp of the physics and physiology of the use of Nitrox as a dive gas! You also MUST understand the use of the Nitrox tables, and exactly HOW they differ from the air tables.

It is not rocket science, but it is necessary to know. Then, as I say, you can get some dive time on the gas, talk to your instructor, talk to other divers, and come to a wiser decision on a Nitrox computer that will suit your needs and your wallet!=-)

DeputyDan once bubbled...
In considering taking a Nitrox class do I need to have a computer or are the gauges OK?
now let me ask you a question:

Why are you considering taking a Nitrox class?

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

now let me ask you a question:

Why are you considering taking a Nitrox class?

A good question, Uncle! Of course, the answer is, straight from Philosophy 101, "Why not?"

But of course, we'll have to wait for the Deputy to answer for himself. (Apologies for the intrusion!):wink:

Two reasons.

Reason # one.

I have been invited on a dive trip with a group that all dives Nitrox. I feel that as a guest, I should learn this skill to better fit in with the group's dive plans and schedules.

Reason # two.

Over the course of time I would have taken the class anyhow as a part of continuing education and skills development in diving.

DD

1. You may want to consult with your prospective buddies about what they use (gauges or computers.) Pre-planning the dives is wise... though some folks who dive with computers do not plan the actual dive but let the computer tell them how much time they have left, ect. Find out how they dive.

2. Continuing education is good... what nitrox class will you be taking? As for skill... there really isn't much actual *diving* skill involved with nitrox (with the exception of not going deeper than the maximum operating depth for the mix you are using)...it is more planning skill.

Have fun. Do you have easy access/availability of nitrox?

I work next to an SSI - LDS with Nitrox available.

I live next to a PADI - LDS with Nitrox available.

Life appears to be good !!!

You will learn how to use EAD (equivalent air depth) to figure your bottom times (sans computer) and SSI also has combined AIR/EAN32/EAN36 tables that you will receive and learn how to use in the class.

Availability of nitrox was really a problem for me here so I set up my own mixed gas fill station.... sounds like you won't have a problem in that regard!
:D

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
You will learn how to use EAD (equivalent air depth) to figure your bottom times (sans computer) and SSI also has combined AIR/EAN32/EAN36 tables that you will receive and learn how to use in the class.

Availability of nitrox was a really problem for me so I set up my own mixed gas fill station.... sounds like you won't have a problem in that regard!
:D

The kind of practice that Uncle Pug is describing will definitely make you sharper in your understanding of the use of "breathing gases other than air". Also, when you transition to a good Nitrox computer, you will be its operator, rather than the other way around.

As for the fill station, do you have it on that fine-looking boat of yours, Pug?:)

DeputyDan once bubbled...
Two reasons.

Reason # one.

I have been invited on a dive trip with a group that all dives Nitrox. I feel that as a guest, I should learn this skill to better fit in with the group's dive plans and schedules.

DD

Don't worry about messing up their dive profiles, I would bet that they dive NITROX using air tables/computers :) .

The reasons we use NITROX are for a larger safety margin and it sure seems to make us a lot less tired at the end of the day. We don't come close to violating air NDL's and our SI are plenty long, or Nitrox MOD's for that matter.

I have taken/seen both the PADI and SSI classes. I like the tables that come with the SSI better for what that's worth.

Back
Top Bottom