I need a BP&W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chalk another one up for DSS. I tried a couple others and went with the SS BP and 30# wing. You won't be disappointed with your purchase.
-Mav

Stephen Ash:
O.K.

Tell me how you would distribute 30 pounds of required weight. Anyone?
[first off, I'm guilty of not having read the entire post]

Steve, looking at your picture I'm first surprised that you require 30 pounds of weight, could you explain your setup (exposure protection, etc.) a bit first?

But, off the top of my head: Switch to a steel cylinder if you're currently using an AL (6 ish pounds or more, but lets say 6 for argument's sake). Buy a FredT heavy backplate (11 lbs), put a 5 pound weight on the top or bottom cylinder strap (depending on trim issues), that's 22 pounds and finally eight pounds on a weight belt, which gives you the necessary ditchable weight.

Roak

cool_hardware52:
IMO, the primary benefit of a STA is the ease with which one can convert from Doubles to Singles and back. How many actually do this routinely?

Given that the plate itself is relatively cheap, most people I know have one permanently rigged for singles and a second for doubles.

Blackwood:
You said you would use Tobin's weight plates, so wouldn't it be prudent to include them in your baseline cost estimates?

I was just trying to keep things as close to possible for a price comparison between those particular combos. It's easy for someone to figure out the price of Tobin's hog package plus the weight plates. In fact, I think that was one of my original recommendations.

cool_hardware52:
Our basic Single rig, Med SS Plate, 30 lbs wing, and Hog harness is $445, the weight Plates add $89. for a total of $534.

If you need more weight my first suggestion is a weight belt.

Yah, but...

...that leaves a lot to put on the belt. In this case it's 16 pounds! It's not uncommon at all for someone to need more than the 14 pounds that your setup provides. IMHO, if they need to keep that belt within reason, they are going to have to add weight somewhere else.

cool_hardware52:
IMO, the primary benefit of a STA is the ease with which one can convert from Doubles to Singles and back. How many actually do this routinely?

Well I know some do, but most do not. In fact most BP&W's sold today will never see a set of doubles.

How any people go for a dive with all the gear needed to dive both Singles and Doubles on the same trip? i.e. both reg sets, both wings, a weighted STA, and or weight plates, and or whatever other ballast adjustments are made when changing from singles to doubles? And a couple sets of doubles and a couple single tanks?

It could happen I suppose, just not very often, at least in my world. This is part of the reason I mostly dive doubles, it keeps the baggage train to a workable size.

One of the Key benefits of a BP&W is the modular nature of the system, and the relatively low incremental cost of transitioning from singles to doubles, but as a practical matter I don't see many switching back and forth daily. The idea that the decision of whether to dive doubles or singles is made at the tailgate, just before the dive, raises questions about good dive planning, and preperation.

One can of course, with a handful of tools, switch out hoses and convert a set of doubles regs to singles config, and add or subtract weight plates, and change weight belts around etc. etc. I've done it too in a pinch, but if your are going to do that, lacing or unlacing 2 cambands from your plate is the trivial part of the task.

Tobin

I use my STAs for a different purpose. I like the weight they add to my back. I like how easy it makes switching tanks...from one empty single to the next full one. I like the solid, firm connection that they make. (I realize that your solution is plenty solid.)

I do switch back and forth between singles and doubles frequently, but I have a different plate set up for each. In fact, I have a variety of plates that I use for a variety of conditions. I don't use the STA for this purpose that you described above.

Stephen Ash:
Yah, but...

...that leaves a lot to put on the belt. In this case it's 16 pounds! It's not uncommon at all for someone to need more than the 14 pounds that your setup provides. IMHO, if they need to keep that belt within reason, they are going to have to add weight somewhere else.

My second suggestion is XS Scuba pouches, cheap and easy, on the cambands, or on the waist belt.

My third suggestion is steel tanks.........

(My forth would be thyroid meds, get that metabolism up where you don't need 30 lbs to sink your exposure suit:D just kidding)

Stephen Ash:
I use my STAs for a different purpose. I like the weight they add to my back. I like how easy it makes switching tanks...from one empty single to the next full one. I like the solid, firm connection that they make. (I realize that your solution is plenty solid.)

I do switch back and forth between singles and doubles frequently, but I have a different plate set up for each. In fact, I have a variety of plates that I use for a variety of conditions. I don't use the STA for this purpose that you described above.

Fair enough, might be good solution for some. I on the other hand, having selected my parents imprudently, (short arms) can barely reach the valve on a single tank even when I have employeed all my "tricks", a STA makes it almost impossible.

Tobin

roakey:
[first off, I'm guilty of not having read the entire post]

Steve, looking at your picture I'm first surprised that you require 30 pounds of weight, could you explain your setup (exposure protection, etc.) a bit first?

But, off the top of my head: Switch to a steel cylinder if you're currently using an AL (6 ish pounds or more, but lets say 6 for argument's sake). Buy a FredT heavy backplate (11 lbs), put a 5 pound weight on the top or bottom cylinder strap (depending on trim issues), that's 22 pounds and finally eight pounds on a weight belt, which gives you the necessary ditchable weight.

Roak

Well, read the entire post, Roger. :D

The 30 pounds was in reference to the original poster's weight requirement as he described it.

But...

I do have experience with this. My weight requirement when wearing my very thick undergarment and using an Al80 in the ocean is also 30 pounds. You'll just have to believe me when I say I'm weighted correctly...I know that this is, indeed, dialed in. For a baseline, I'll tell you that in a 3mil full in salt water with an Al80 I use an AL BP, standard STA, and my Sandroff can for a total of about 7 to 8 pounds. OTOH, when I'm in my drysuit I use a FredT 9# plate, a standard STA, 8 pounds on the belt and the rest in cam band weight pockets.

I'll also point out that while a steel cylinder is a great way to assist weighting, there are many situations where this isn't a viable option... it certainly isn't an option for most recreational travel destinations.

cool_hardware52:
My second suggestion is XS Scuba pouches, cheap and easy, on the cambands, or on the waist belt.

My suggestion, exactly! Well, I suggested the H cam band pockets 'cause I couldn't find the link to the XS ones...and...I have these and they are very nicely made.

Do these work well on your rig? I'm thinking that without the support of a STA they might be a little sloppy when changing out tanks. I don't know...I guess I should just get the rest of your getup and try it myself! :D

cool_hardware52:
My third suggestion is steel tanks.........

See above post. Steelies, in MANY situations, are not an option.

cool_hardware52:
(My forth would be thyroid meds, get that metabolism up where you don't need 30 lbs to sink your exposure suit:D just kidding)

I know your kidding, but...if I took synthroid I'd whittle down to nothin'! Seriously though, there are a lot of 'normal' folk that need a little more weight than your rig and a reasonable weight belt can provide...well... without going to something like cam band pockets, that is.

cool_hardware52:
Fair enough, might be good solution for some. I on the other hand, having selected my parents imprudently, (short arms) can barely reach the valve on a single tank even when I have employeed all my "tricks", a STA makes it almost impossible.

Definitely a plus. Not using a standard STA probably shaves off a 1/2" or so. But, that half inch could be all one needs to reach their valves.

Stephen Ash:
He is a recreational OW diver and he's diving an Al80 single. He's gonna need weight. Steel doubles are not an option for him.

Why are steel doubles, or even steel singles not an option? The great thing about a BP/W setup is it allows you to grow into it-something I wish I learned earlier..... So you don't jump right into doubles right off-you can till use a steel tank with STA and weight plates like Tobin's or Hammerhead and shave weight off the belt. The closer to your center the weight is the better off you are.... I sure wish I had bought steel to begin with.

Another way to lower the weight requirement he mentions could be either get more comfortable in the water (which only goes so far....) or maybe dive dry?

Just brainstorming...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom