I/We Myself and 3 daughters 18-23 are looking for a good dive shop in Cozumel.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Bobo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
We are only there for a week, so I don't thin kthat we really have time to get certified. I'm looking for a shop to take us out on the reefs for maybe two days? Any tips/suggestions would be appreciated.

" . . . I don't think that we really have time to get certified." Can you be more specific? Is ANYONE in this group certified? Are you looking for a Discover Scuba outfit, where they give you a little bit of training, then take you to a shallow reef for just a taste of Scuba diving? Or are you looking for a Snorkel tour? Tell us just what is the level of training/experience of each one in the group, and what you want. Otherwise, everyone will be talking past each other.

" . . . I don't think that we really have time to get certified." Can you be more specific? Is ANYONE in this group certified? Are you looking for a Discover Scuba outfit, where they give you a little bit of training, then take you to a shallow reef for just a taste of Scuba diving? Or are you looking for a Snorkel tour? Tell us just what is the level of training/experience of each one in the group, and what you want. Otherwise, everyone will be talking past each other.

We have no certified divers and have never dived .....only snorkeling. I'm thinking we do the intro and if we like it 2 more 2 tank trips on other days

We have no certified divers and have never dived .....only snorkeling. I'm thinking we do the intro and if we like it 2 more 2 tank trips on other days
If you aren't certified no one is going to take you out on "normal" two tank trips. With good reason.

If you go out more than once it will probably be to the same very shallow reef where they do Discover SCUBA trips, which is what you'll be doing every time. Discover SCUBA experience doesn't count for anything.

While there exist 'discover scuba' programs and there might be places on Cozumel that will do them I do not think your apparent expectations are aligned with safe diving.

Someone with no previous experience needs to learn in pool or pool like conditions. They need close supervision in case of them being uncomfortable. They need time to get the hang of things.

A Cozumel reef is not pool like. It is sharp and stingy at the bottom. If has current. It has living things which will suffer from inadequately skilled divers.

The bit in your post about wanting to do a couple of two tank dives is particularly scary. It sounds like you don't understand how much work is involved in the initial training to get to do those dives in anything like a safe (for you, your children and the environment) way. Expect to spend several days doing skills and learning stuff first.

As Ken pointed out, your expectations are not realistic; if you want to do "real" diving on Cozumel, you must be certified. How long before your trip? Certification can be done in an intensive week.

Diving is hugely fun but it can also be hugely dangerous if you aren't properly trained for it. Get yourself and your daughters certed.

I guess that I wasn't clear. For example. ..dive with Martin offers the 2 tank intro/resort course (beach then boat) and after, you can do additional 2 tank dives with instructor. Do all shops offer this?

If you aren't certified no one is going to take you out on "normal" two tank trips. With good reason.

If you go out more than once it will probably be to the same very shallow reef where they do Discover SCUBA trips, which is what you'll be doing every time. Discover SCUBA experience doesn't count for anything.

Sorry. .I was reading from the bottom up and just got here. Question ?? If we do a resort course on sunday, and want to go out again..we have to go to the same reef/spot every time?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom