I'm addicted but non-divers don't care

Discussion in 'Basic Scuba Discussions' started by JoyfulLee, Sep 3, 2008.

1. JoyfulLee

JoyfulLee Barracuda

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    I'm addicted to diving. It's all I can think about when I'm not focused on tasks at hand. And I want to share my passion with others. Unfortunately, unless a person is a fellow diver they don't get it. And some fellow divers don't get it either unless they are truly hooked.

I'm taken aback by this and wonder how others have handled such encounters. Any tales or tips? Fun and sarcastic repartee welcome.

:scubadiver

2. 300bar

300bar ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

Try showing a BIG stack of UW pic's to a (group of)non diver(s) :rofl3:
    Just no way to get your feelings across.Just kick them into a diveshop,to do a intro dive.:D

3. Teamcasa

Teamcasa Sr. Moderator Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Well we do! There are plenty of divers here to share your excitement with. You might check your local forum and see if you can meet and dive with others in your area. If not, start a club! Have fun and keep the enthusiasm level high!

4. JoyfulLee

JoyfulLee Barracuda

Thanks. I just had to share my frustration. I have a blog where I've captured what I've been experiencing on my dives. It's obvious people are being kind when they listen and view it. Guess it's almost analogous to sharing pictures of that cute baby or dog, ay? :)

5. 300bar

Yep you got the point.:D
    They listen and smile,say ohh or ahh but they just DON'T get our feeling.:depressed:

Hey let them live in their world,so we can live in our's.:rofl4:

6. SelkieDVM

SelkieDVM Divemaster

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Those who have not experienced such an addiction will never understand. You need to attend meetings, this is a good place to start. Then you just get your compressed gas fix as often as possible. Their loss, the planet's surface is 70% water.

7. Starcruiser

Starcruiser Barracuda

I usually get the response of 'I've always thought that was so cool, but I'm afraid of (insert imaginary problem here). If someone asks, I'll show the pictures and that will get oohhss and ahhhhs. for a bit.
    You're right, though. To really appreciate it they have to go there.....

8. sandmanz32

sandmanz32 Manta Ray

# of Dives: 100 - 199

I definatly feel your pain. My current dive buddy got me into it, and now i wanna dive way more than he does. He doesn't seem to get it, niether does my gf for that matter. The non divers in our world will never understand what it is like. Im with those who say "just whip out the u/w pix", they do tend to get all the ohhhs and ahhs! hopefully this next season ill have a new regular dive buddy who doesnt constantly complain about having to go diving.

9. sixgears

sixgears Barangay Pasaway

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    I'm a newb and just got carded along with my wife :D. The first words out of my mom's mouth were "Aren't you scared?" My answer was, "Scared of what?" :lol: I told her to tell me what I should be scared of and I will consider being scared of it but until then ... watch out for my bubbles! ;)

10. scubadobadoo

scubadobadoo Loggerhead Turtle

I love to dive but I have to admit that after a few hundred dives in the north east it starts to get old and I was so addicted at one point that I NEVER thought I would say that it was getting old. Now, if diving consistently involved less drive time and work to get to the water for me, I probably wouldn't feel this way. Honestly though, if I dive at Dutch Springs ONE MORE TIME I will puke! At least the salt water still holds some passion for me here locally. I will also still dive any day say in Bonaire but my passion for cold water diving is starting to decrease. We all go through phases I guess.

I remember hearing a diver at Dutch Springs years ago suiting up in her dry suit talking about how it was starting to get old for her after 10 years. I thought she was INSANE at the time as I had about 35 dives myself and all I thought about was diving diving diving. Well, drink enough really good wine and the cheap stuff can start to taste well...cheap. And this is coming from a guy who has logged dives in mud puddles.;)

For some of you nuts though with 1000 dives and going, I say rock on my bubble blowing buddies!:D

11. ScubaSam

ScubaSam Sister of Shenanigans ScubaBoard Supporter

None of my friends or family dives so that is why I love SB. Only SB'ers understand the addiction.

I'm always being asked, "Aren't you afraid of the sharks?".
    My reply is always "Nope, cause we're not on their menu."

Besides if EVERYONE loved scuba can you imagine the traffic jam underwater. It's better that they don't get it.

12. Scuba Ken

Scuba Ken Divemaster Candidate

I've dove at Dutch Springs, I've seen traffic Jams underwater. :) I'm trying to Detox my addiction I'm down to 32% ox.

13. livewire

livewire Photographer

I think we need a 12-step program for scuba addiction:

1. Admit you have a problem and are powerless over your addiction.
    2. Come to believe that a higher power will restore your sanity.
    3. Oh, screw the rest of the steps, let's go get wet! :)

14. tomboyy

tomboyy Carnival ride inspector ScubaBoard Supporter

I keep my dive gear in my living room so I can look at it <--he says in his best Homer Simpson voice with a 1000 yard stare

15. DiverLS

DiverLS Photographer

# of Dives:
    I'm hooked too. I started to get a little bored (just a little) and I went out on a boat off Santa Barbara to the Channel Islands and a guy was on board with cameras we could take off and dive with. All we had to do was sign that we'd bring them back to the boat. He set up the cameras and pictures were beautiful. So I bought my own camera and haven't looked back. But it took me three years to take great pictures abain. Thanks Joe of Optiquatics, you got me hooked.

Now when I come back, all my co-workers want to see the pictures. It's gotten so bad we actually have a staff meeting so I can show off. :crafty:

But they give all the excuses too. No one gets it but that's ok. I like being with my buddy and no one else around.

16. spt29970

spt29970 Barracuda

My reply is that more people die each year EATING sharks than are EATEN by sharks.

Think about it. Apex predators are often not very good to eat; they bio-accumulate toxins. Sharks are filled with PCBs and mercury. Some people have allergic reactions and some simply choke on their "food".

17. Far_X

Far_X Manta Ray

I guess they think about scuba diving the way I think about knitting - I don't care how many different knitting strokes there, and how pretty it looks when finished, I just don't want to do it myself. :D Fortunately there are always enough scuba nuts to find in any scuba diving area. Join a club, start your own, and get really involved in persuading others to join and arranging all these different dives you can do. Good luck.

Dutch Springs: I guess if I had done more than a handful of dives at Dutch Springs I would think it felt old. It's a hell of a drive out there to dive in a quarry. Great place for training but that's about it. Thankfully we have interesting beach and boat dives on the longer island than Manhattan. ;)

18. Alex777

Alex777 Divemaster

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Whine, Whine, Whine! You guys think you have it tough, but try being an obsessed diver who lives on a Caribbean island. Very few Caribbean people dive (certainly, very few Caymanians) so, even though the reef is within spitting distance, no one in your social group may actually CARE! Of course, there is always the tourist community ...

19. Laustimus

Laustimus Barracuda

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    You come here and talk about it /thread :p ;)

20. 300bar

Not to push you,BUT.....

solo.?

Maybe it's not for you but it's an option.;)