I'M IN TROUBLE NOW...!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
t0201.gif
I went to check in online for my Cozumel flight in the morning and was offered an upgrade to Business for $99. I have to pay $65 each way for 2 bags anyway, so ok - why not. Now not only are my bags free on tomorrow's flights, my weight limits are increased to 70# each. This will make me take everything I can think of and will fit, as long as I consume weight and get them back to 2 - 50# bags for return, as that flight is more packed and I probably won't get as good of an offer. I won't get any sleep from Houston to Cozumel now either, with free wine, Kahlua, and other amenities to enjoy - got to stay awake and take advantage.

I don't guess I need to pack trail mix for lunch since they serve one up front - away from the Peon class I usually ride. I'm packing now, testing my gear, remembering everything I want to take - but I'm not packing bottled water. Even with a 70# bag limit, I have to lift those things myself at times, and I have to roll in the whole load alone sometimes. I do hope they let me take my luggage carrier; I haven't tried that lately.

I'm also waiting on FedEx or similar to deliver 2 - 3" screws a fellow on FB asked me to bring down. Must be some fancy screws for him to overnight them here, then offer to pick me up at the airport - but boats are known money pits.
banana169.gif

Well, the package arrived. It has my name totally wrong - O'Shaughnessy Kevin? - and it came from a different boat supply, but right address.

Last edited:
Don: You probably know better than I about these things but with an extra 40lbs of allowance between the two bags you have going down, maybe you could pack as you usually do for two (2) 50lb bags and pack the extra 40lbs of allowance between them with clothes that you no longer wear/don't fit/etc and donate them to a charity on the island. Maybe others can comment on this?

Don: You probably know better than I about these things but with an extra 40lbs of allowance between the two bags you have going down, maybe you could pack as you usually do for two (2) 50lb bags and pack the extra 40lbs of allowance between them with clothes that you no longer wear/don't fit/etc and donate them to a charity on the island. Maybe others can comment on this?
Well, there are actually Mexican laws prohibiting that. I know it's done, but something to consider when doing so.

Clothes that don't fit I donate to my favorite charity thrift store on a regular basis. I recently gave them half dozen pair of nice Wrangler jeans, starched and on hangers. I hope the sold them well. I'm an old farm boy and I literally wear clothes out. Anything I wouldn't wear, no one would. I do bundle up clean rags and ruined clothes now & then and take to Goodwill for their fabric recycling program.

Each year I pack most of my suitcase with clothes and shoes that I don't really care about anymore. I wear them all week and then give them to the maids with money to launder them. They are happy and I never have to worry about an overweight bag.
I have read here about maids being insulted by such. I guess it varies. Good that you give them money for laundry.

Well Don... I guess you have an extra 40 lbs of space you can pack with water bottles or pack with something else. If you aren't comfortable going to a drop off center just launder the clothes and fold them and leave them on the bed in your room with your normal daily tip for the houskeeper beside it with a note that you no longer need these and to please discard them... They'll be gone upon your return and they certainly will not have been thrown away nor will anything else that could fill that extra 40 lbs.

My cleaning lady happily takes any and all meat, produce and other groceries that I don't want to keep when I shut down our house when I leave. Were I to offer them I imagine she would take any clothes as well - or find someone at her church that could use them. I expect that maids might be insulted about leaving dirty clothes for them as a tip...

I have a good friend who works as a maid in hotels there. She told me there was a revolt at the hotel she was working at when the boss lady tried to tell them they couldn't take the food left behind. We always leave our leftover food, but always wondered if it was appreciated or just more cleanup. It is appreciated but don't think it takes the place of a tip. They survive on the tips. I often see her or her kids wearing clothes that obviously were left by tourists. She and her husband are not nearly as poor as others but they still value those things that I was a little embarrassed to leave. Once again, they don't take the place of money.

I'm sure it's all in how the old clothes are presented. I just don't have any I'm not wearing that anyone would want as I donate locally whenever I have a box full, even rags to the recycling program. My newest hobby is making concrete headstones for unmarked graves in our local cemetery, and my oldest clothes are worn when mixing, imprinting, delivering. When they get too worn for that, they go to the rag bin, then Goodwill.

A week from tomorrow, I'll leave a slightly used coffee maker for someone at the hotel, along with a used 5 gallon water jug I won't have time to return for deposit at the last minutes. During that week, I'll try to contribute to the local economy and tip nicely. I've even stopped arguing with taxi drivers.

For anyone who thinks I am not a giving enough visitor: Sorreeee...

I usually leave an unused can of bugs spray as well as a mostly full aerosol can of sunscreen in my room when I leave, just to make sure I come in under weight with my check-in bag. I assume it gets used somewhere.

In Feb. a guy selling tours on the corner asked me for my cap, he said he needed it for his collection. It was a burnt orange Nike golf cap that I had got on sale. I ran into him in April and then in June wearing the hat. I get a good greeting from him each time I see him.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom