I'M IN TROUBLE NOW...!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always let my credit card company and my bank know when we will be traveling So far, no problems. And we have been throughout Mexico and Europe in the past 12 months.
Always a good idea. I remind others, but forgot this time.

While it could be that your card was flagged for capture, a lot of times a captured debit card is sign there is something wrong with the machine, a compromised machine can act funny, or even be set up to temporarily grab cards, if the machine hasn't been compromised, it is usually a software glitch and the ATM reboots in about 2 minutes and spits your card back out. This is the usual solution if an ATM machine grabs a card, wait a couple of minutes then you usually get a 'timed out' screen and the card pops back out. Thieves can use this glitch to grab cards, they compromise the machine, make it malfunction and temporarily grab cards, if the card owner gives up and walks away the thief comes over and grabs the card after it pops out. I hope you notified your bank, because I fear somebody got your card after you left.

I hope you notified your bank, because I fear somebody got your card after you left.
Yep. The screen said that my bank refused the transaction and to contact them. It was because I used it out of country without telling them in advance.

I have mine refused but never ever kept it. I had notified my bank but they dropped the ball. I just called the int toll free number and walked right back in. I've never heard of it keeping one and I've been refused numerous times. That stinks.

That story doesn't make much sense. Either my wife or myself are out of the country at least once a month in all corners of the world. If we were to try and notify our bank of every place we would be trying to use our debit cards, I'd spend half my life on the phone. I've had my transaction refused because of not notifying many times, but never once have I ever had the machine keep my card nor have I ever heard that happening to anyone I work with that travels as much as we do. Sounds VERY fishy.

I always let my credit card company and my bank know when we will be traveling So far, no problems. And we have been throughout Mexico and Europe in the past 12 months.

Even that has not always worked for me... A few years ago, I let my CC know I would be travelling to South Africa with the dates and cities we would be visiting. Within 24 hours of arrival, charges were being refused. I made one purchase, and that was enough to get the card cut off. Trying to get through to them was a nightmare due to the hours of the department I had to talk to and the time difference. I got it fixed, but it was a royal pain to do so.

Now, the same CC tells me that they have evolved their systems to the point where I do not have to advise them of travel. I keep calling them anyway before any travel...

If I get zero table service at the breakfast buffet, do I have to leave a tip? Remember when they called those gratuities instead of expected? Why does my spoiler not show?

I'm sure experiences will vary with various institutions.

So many disease carried by skeeters now. I usually forget in Coz, but now it's spray repellent before leaving room. Breakfast, dive, spray, shower, spay again. Spray again after 6 hours.

That story doesn't make much sense. Either my wife or myself are out of the country at least once a month in all corners of the world. If we were to try and notify our bank of every place we would be trying to use our debit cards, I'd spend half my life on the phone. I've had my transaction refused because of not notifying many times, but never once have I ever had the machine keep my card nor have I ever heard that happening to anyone I work with that travels as much as we do. Sounds VERY fishy.

I got so sick of having transactions denied while traveling that I finally wrote the cc company a letter and followed up with a phone call, explaining that I travel all over the world and cannot always advise them before embarking. I said I expect my card to work everywhere--I rely on it--and if I am left without a means to pay in an emergency I would hold them responsible. (yeah, a lot of bluster, but anyway) They said they put a note on my account. I have not had any problems since then.

Last edited:
Even that has not always worked for me... A few years ago, I let my CC know I would be travelling to South Africa with the dates and cities we would be visiting. Within 24 hours of arrival, charges were being refused. I made one purchase, and that was enough to get the card cut off. Trying to get through to them was a nightmare due to the hours of the department I had to talk to and the time difference. I got it fixed, but it was a royal pain to do so.

Now, the same CC tells me that they have evolved their systems to the point where I do not have to advise them of travel. I keep calling them anyway before any travel...

One more reason to have the Schwab debit card, you just go online and type in your travel destination, it takes about 1 minute and you don't have to talk to anyone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom