I'M IN TROUBLE NOW...!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And we are pretty entitled with our fraud protection laws. We have very limited liability, hence people do not care how much their bank loses on them. Let all the charges go through and eat my losses please. And please bill those expenses to someone else.
How true I have a friend from Brazil who told me the horror story of his Brazilian credit card getting hacked. He was was forced to pay for about 15K USD in fraudulant activity.

Good points Chief. People just seem to be more and more entitled everyday in this country. I wonder how many people would take the deal of a credit card where the credit card company would never attempt any inconvenient fraud protections but the consumer had to take full financial responsibility for any fraud as the trade-off?

And we are pretty entitled with our fraud protection laws. We have very limited liability, hence people do not care how much their bank loses on them. Let all the charges go through and eat my losses please. And please bill those expenses to someone else.

I agree with the sentiment. (Heck, I continued to pay an underwater home loan at least partly out of a sense of right and wrong.) I log in and check over my recent cc charges whenever I have a chance, and I'm signed up to receive mobile alerts with every charge. I am pleased to be able to "do the right thing" and promptly assist the bank in identifying fraud. My peeve is seemingly being REQUIRED to do this sort of thing in order to be able to rely on my card continuing to work. That's where I draw the line.

Well that is kind of my point, you refuse to be directed to participate in their fraud prevention methods, but you still want them to take the risk.

I mean I get it if you are going to be in the outback, without cell service and you notified them AND they declined it, that sucks and I am with you.

On the other hand, just saying I cannot be bothered to tell you about some unusual activity I might be doing on my cards, so you just have to accept the liability for the 1,200 cricket set that was charged to my account in Zimbabwe is something different.

I see it like they are forced to eat losses, even if from cardholder carelessness, so they should be trying hard to stop fraud. In fact they don't. I seized a stack of cloned cards involving a skad of banks. The banks for the most part didn't have time to cooperate. Out of well in excess of 20, I only got 3 I think to submit a statement of losses so I could get the court to order restitution. The rest just wrote it off. With the criminals, the loot and the evidence, they let them get away with a lot of it. Instead they got mucklighter hits for just having altered cards. So I kinda have a different perspective.

If I get zero table service at the breakfast buffet, do I have to leave a tip? Remember when they called those gratuities instead of expected?
No comments? Second morning, same experience. Again I left a buck, but I am wondering why?

Well that is kind of my point, you refuse to be directed to participate in their fraud prevention methods, but you still want them to take the risk.

Maybe what I'm trying to say is "I'll do the best I can to help you identify fraud, Bank, and you do the best you can to keep my card working for me throughout my travels, even if that means suffering the occasional instance of fraud." In other words, we each do our part. Granted, the laws as they presently exist in the US say that the bank, not the cardholder, bears the whole risk. I can't help that. Maybe it shouldn't be that way.

I mean I get it if you are going to be in the outback, without cell service and you notified them AND they declined it, that sucks and I am with you.

The thing is, I can't always predict when I'm going to be incommunicado due to lack of cell service or lack of time to charge a battery or whatever. Sometimes I have every intention of checking email or whatever tomorrow, charging my phone when I get to a hotel, etc., but events conspire to keep me from doing it for another day or more. It's not just something like "the outback"; it could be that I'm doing 20 hours of back-to-back flights and getting in-flight or airport Internet service is unavailable, expensive, annoyingly slow, or whatever.

I am happy to notify the bank in advance when I can, and glad to proactively check activity on my card when I can. I just don't want that kind of ongoing diligence to be a condition for me to be able to keep using my card throughout my travels. If I am incommunicado for whatever reason and return to civilization in need desperate need of a meal and a shower, I expect my card to work.

If I get zero table service at the breakfast buffet, do I have to leave a tip? Remember when they called those gratuities instead of expected?

What table service are you expecting its a buffet. I don't drink coffee get my own orange juice and they might come around and take a empty plate. I leave a dollar on the table and leave one in the can at the start of the buffet. Doesn't bother me a bit. Always get a smile. Especially now during slow season. I will be there Saturday for 2 weeks and tip everyone. If I tip $2 a meal that's $14 for a week of breakfasts. To each their own.

I get you. You just sounded a little blasé about it a first. I mean if circumstance prevent you from telling them where you are I get that.

It is just such a racket. 31.8 million people in the US alone had their card breached in 2014. What is that? Like 1 in 10? The new cards alone cost the banks $12 apiece to reissue.

But because of the structure of the laws, we don't really care. Not that I want to see consumers stuck with the bill. I use my card all the time everywhere because I want that Southwest companion pass again. In May, I think, mine got compromised. Who knows where? Could have been Ebay or some restaurant in Coz or Arbys in BWI. Cost me nothing of course. Chase was very accommodating. They modified my card to only be good for in person transactions in Mexico and sent a new one to be there when I got back home. My recurring bills also were covered for 120 days to allow me time to change them to the new card. I didn't even have to sign a form or anything. EASY as can be. The only imposition on me was changing the auto-billing stuff.

Same thing in the US with the chip readers. Seems like everywhere you go, they have the chip readers and they don't work. (I got Apple Pay and only got it to work ONCE.) Of course there isn't a rush to get them working, because if the merchant swipes a card, they get paid even if it is a cloned card. I don't know my rest of the world CC laws, (except in MX you are gonna lose money) but the rest of the world was a lot quicker to adopt the chip readers and thefts went down some. The ring we broke up was just laying in almost no data on the mag strip and they worked just fine.

My only thing is do your part to keep this guy from stealing one MILLION dollars....

drevil_cover.jpg

Capital One has a good system, they send me an email if they think there are weird charges, the email lists the charges with a button next to each one that you can either say "charge is valid" or "don't recognize the charge", they aren't shutting you down, only sending you the email to nip it in the bud, I can click the "charge is valid" button on any charge they think is suspicious and the issue never goes any further. If I click the "don't recognize the charge" then you're escalating it to the next level and they will then start investigating, including asking you to call them and speak to a rep who you then have more choices, all of which don't have to end up in a card on hold.

The good news really though is that the world is more and more connected, every year I get more and more connectivity in foreign places with my cell phone, more access to internet, text etc.. through T-mobile I have free cell and data in most civilized countries and with wifi and a VPN I get access in even more places, pretty much getting to the point where the problem of being taken by surprise with a CC turned off and not having the ability to contact them to turn back on by an App, a website on your phone or a phone call using your phone, or by the very least the merchant you are tying to buy from supplying you a phone is pretty much minuscule. To end up in a place where you can't communicate and get it turned right back on almost guarantees you're probably in a place so remote that credit cards aren't accepted anyways.

Last edited:
What table service are you expecting its a buffet. I don't drink coffee get my own orange juice and they might come around and take a empty plate. I leave a dollar on the table and leave one in the can at the start of the buffet.
Ok, why? Tipping is for services, right? It seems like we're tipping people to do their jobs.

My daughter & I differ on tipping maids: I do, she won't - and I can't really defend why I do.

I remember a cartoon strip that ran over several days several weeks ago. One lady wondered why there was a tip jar on the counter where she placed her order, a feeling I share. Talking with a second lady, the latter said she tipped. When asked why and further discussed, the second lady was the only one who enjoyed orders done correctly.

I don't mind tipping my dive crew as they certainly seem to strive to serve. I had a private boat today, no one else booked, but they took me out, took excellent care of me, and I tipped extra - not enough to make up for the lack of customers, but some.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom