Instructor trouble

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a cut and paste of the information off PADI's website. I deleted his name.

---begin---

Member current, not authorized to teach renewed for 2003.
If you feel that this information is incorrect, please contact the Members Services Department at the office that the PADI Member is registered with.

PADI America:
Phone: +1 949-858-7234 ext. 495
or 1-800-729-7234 ext. 495
Email: membersvcs@padi.com

---end---

Based on this, it sounds like he renewed his PADI membership, but not his insurance.

I can't remember when insurance runs out, except that it happens sometime in the middle of summer. Depending on when you were certified, its possible that his insurance was still valid.

He should not be issuing certs without insurance. That's a big PADI no-no.

I would mention it to the instructor - some stores pay for their instructors insurance under a shop policy - it may be that this person is perfectly above board but PADI has their paper work in a mess

It also sounds to me like your friend is trying to cause trouble

I got my card before the insurance was out. so iam ok. and as far as i know the ladi at padi wasnt all too concerned.

PADI instructors must maintain professional liability insurance to remain in teaching status in most of PADI Americas.

PADI sponsors a liability insurance program through brokers Vicencia & Buckley. The V&B policy renews each year at the end of June. Instructors who purchase insurance through V&B are supposed to automatically be reported to PADI as insured. This doesn't always happen. Several of our instructors in our shop bought this insurance, but V&B failed to report properly to PADI.

If the instructor chooses to purchase insurance through another channel (very likely in cases where an instructor teaches through multiple agencies) then the instructor is responsible for submitting proof of insurance to PADI to remain in teaching status.

Hopefully you don't devolope any injuries related to the training> If he was uninsured, he would be legally liable.

What a dumbass.

thx for all the info everybody

Insurance is renewed on June 30 at midnight but you have a grace period until July 15 at midnight.

For the instructors out there that are thinking of switching insurance companies due to price increases. Keep in mind the new company you switch to, will not insure any of your past students. I'm stuck with Vincia & Buckley for that reason. But they are the best. If you follow the rules when you teach and there is an accident, they'll take care of you. I don't know if the other companies will do as much for you in the unlikely event of an accident.

I'm curious if the date on the C-Card is the actual certification date or not?

sealkie once bubbled...
I would mention it to the instructor - some stores pay for their instructors insurance under a shop policy - it may be that this person is perfectly above board but PADI has their paper work in a mess
It wouldn't be the first time.
E.

Epinephelus once bubbled...

It wouldn't be the first time.
E.

I have to agree also. But, I thought PADI was a mess until I became a YMCA and NAUI instructor too. MY GOD! I now praise PADI. I was an NASDS instructor until they sold out, they ran a nice tight ship.

For the instructors out there that are thinking of switching insurance companies due to price increases. Keep in mind the new company you switch to, will not insure any of your past students. I'm stuck with Vincia & Buckley for that reason. But they are the best. If you follow the rules when you teach and there is an accident, they'll take care of you. I don't know if the other companies will do as much for you in the unlikely event of an accident

This is incorrect. There ARE insurance carriers that WILL take over coverage for prior acts, as long as you have unbroken coverage and are not in violation of standards. If you do a search on the board regarding Instructor Insurance you will find the thread where this was discussed.

As has already been indicated, PADI Insurance was due at the end of June. Although there was a grace period last year due to a PADI snafu, this is not usually the case. If the PADI Instructor in question is not insured by now, then he is not in teaching status with PADI.

It is up to the INSTRUCTOR to ensure that PADI receives a copy of their Liability insurance, regardless of who is the carrier. While V&B may, as a courtesy, forward the paperwork to PADI, it is still the Instructor's responsiblity to verify that PADI has a copy of their current insurance on file.

Back
Top Bottom