Instructors/shops requiring 15+ hours of pool time?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaMike14:
Forget the long hours in the pool, get them out in the "real water" and have them do some "real diving". I think that's where the reality of "holy crap, I'm out here doing this for real and better pay attention" comes into play. Anyone who wants to can learn the basic skills in a pool in about 20 minutes. Heck, I have taught friends, girlfriends, etc the basics in the pool at my apartment. But it's when I took them out to dive in say 20-30 foot off a beach that they really began to apply and put those basic skills to use.

I think that there should be an hour or so of lecture, a pool class, then 2 dives. Then another hour or so of lecture, another pool class "part 2" if you will, and then another 2 dives.

Mike Rushton

where I disagree here is that I don't want to take a student into OW until they have mastered the basic skills. Specifically, if a student can't do a nice controled ascent/descent staying with and aware of a buddy and perform commonly required skills midwater with some degree of control and again while maintaining contact with and awareness of a buddy, I am not taking them into an environment where I may have less control. OW is where they gain experience doing what they already know how to do and not where they learn the nuts and bolts of how to do it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom