Integrated Power Inflators Are A Terrible Idea!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some might suggest that is the purpose of a buddy being as this is not the solo forum.
Some might suggest that redundancy is a good idea even when not solo diving.

Some might suggest that redundancy is a good idea even when not solo diving.
Yes, it is called the buddy system. But, okay, so you mean twins on an isolation manifold or a pony bottle for all recreational diving? This is the Basic Forum.

I think I can donate my primary to my buddy, switch to my BCI and then go up and deal with the issue at the surface. Why is that a challenge? Seems cut and dry to me. If diving in a condition or environment where even in recreational diving a long swim might be needed then do not use a BCI, use a conventional octopus or primary donate, either as suits.

But you are quoting me out of context because I was referring to y/h-valves that have entered the conversation. That being why I started another paragraph. I do not know of but one person advocating Y/H valves for Basic (forum) scuba diving or any diving for that matter. Nor have I seen any in use in about, oh, forty years. And that interjection was off subject, be as it may. :)

If you decide to run an air2 don’t forget to put a 40” hose on your primary like a standard octopus. Second, with an air2 you might want to get the longer inflator hose so you have some freedom to move your head while you’re breathing off it. The only drawback (to some) is that now when in a prone diving position you have an air2/inflator hanging down lower than usual banging into stuff.
Three, if you happen to also have a snorkel attached to your mask and need to use the air2, don’t feel around and grab your snorkel to breathe off instead of the air2! My buddy did this during our rescue class in the ocean and it sent him straight to the surface yanking his primary out of my mouth for the air share as he bolted. Sheeesh!
I have never dived with anything other than an Air2 (or equivalent) since being certified in 1986. No one I have been diving with has ever died (including me) because of it.

It has never free-flowed.

I went to a long hose (40") on my primary, in 2016.

Due to the issues brought up about COVID and sharing air, that decision, in 2020, seemed to be an even more wise (wiser?) choice, I am glad I did it, however, again, I have yet to have to share, regardless.

My Air2 is secured by the Velcro fastener at the top of the shoulder of my BCD, just as the inflator hose would be, plus it is restrained by the inflator hose itself. It never hangs down below any of my other gear and has never snagged on anything.

To quote an individual currently in the media about other issues, this is a witch hunt.

But you are quoting me out of context because I was referring to y/h-valves that have entered the conversation. That being why I started another paragraph.
Y/h-valves have their place, especially when diving in sub 40 degree water where free-flows are quite common. Having 2 divers breathing off of one first stage , especially if one is breathing hard, can easily initiate a free-flow in the donors reg. They may not provide the full redundancy that independent doubles or side-mount provide but they do provide additional security.

I use the Atomic SS1 along with a primary on a long hose. It works well for me. The SS1 breathes very well, and I've never had any issues with it being difficult to breath with or free-flowing.

I generally dive with the same person (my wife) and we practice sharing air (primary donate) and ascending together, so both of us are familiar with how it works. I never dive with a stranger as a buddy unless my buddy is a professional private guide.

The SS1 works well for my uses, and I've never had the issue of my octo getting loose and dragging along behind me (which I invariably see with other divers on just about every dive I'm on.)

Finally got around to watching the OP's video. I have seen this reviewer before. He tends toward very strong opinions. I did like that he pointed out at the end that no technical divers or DMs would use this style of octo. It was basically, you cann't buy it because other divers won't respect you. Your gear choice should be made based on penis envy.

I am sure he is an excellent instructor, but he comes off as a bit pretentious.

Y/h-valves have their place, especially when diving in sub 40 degree water where free-flows are quite common. Having 2 divers breathing off of one first stage , especially if one is breathing hard, can easily initiate a free-flow in the donors reg. They may not provide the full redundancy that independent doubles or side-mount provide but they do provide additional security.
I can see that. Good point. I think I would rather independent doubles so that the frozen reg does not bleed down my only air source. But we have gone way off point of BCI regulators, yeah or nay :wink:.

I like my little DGX BCI. I will not use it as a primary rig but for special purpose where getting out of my gear in the water over and over is needed or shallow diving in benign environments. Since I plan to use it in now two days :) I took it to the pool to test it out. Seems to work fine. My short corrugated hose on my Oxy 18 does not allow a lot of right head turn without pulling but enough to get me to the top. It breaths decently. I will be wearing at most a 3mm shorty or 1mm neoprene shorts and a 3mm vest, my lead will be 6 to maybe 8 pounds. I try to weight so that at the start of a dive I have a little bubble added to my wing and at the end of the dive I am even slightly positive but not so much I cannot hold my stop with the now empty wing.

Lots of strong and diverging opinions. For recreational diving, my buddies and I all dive with Air2. They are easy to tune and streamline your kit by one less hose. We drill that in an emergency, the diver with air uses the Air2 and gives his/her primary to the out of air diver. Only had to do this once in 30+ years. Buoyancy control is not an issue as you control the Air2 and have other dumps on your BC.

I have been on many dives where some yahoo drags their loose octopus through the reef and occasionally gets tangled.

I am comfortable with either Air2 or octopus, just as long as everyone has a functional alternate air source.
Just curious whether you or your buddies (or any others using one) increase the length of your primary hose (e.g. to typical octo length, not a “long hose” configuration).
I could see that a longer primary hose and longer BCD corrugated hose could eliminate two of his negative points.
Edit: just read further… seems like many are.

Point one - the original device was developed to allow for a second regulator, not to eliminate one. He is off by a long time as to when these came out and why... Yes, others have copied...

Point two - tune the regulator... I've had many second stages breathe like crap out of the box.

Point three - ScubaPro (original manufacturer) has an additional pull to dump on their BC. It is part of a system, so there is no issue dumping air while using.

Point 4 - they aren't for technical diving.

I'm unimpressed with this wind bag....
Point 5 - Get a longer corrugated hose if the short one does not work for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom