Interacting with sea life look but don't touch!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We're on computers or smart phones using electricity derived from mostly coal but some nuke,wind,hydro or solar all of which require mining,refining of materials to build.We live in communities which decrease our footprint on land but concentrate our wastes.I can go on but you get the gist,we all interact in a manner harmful to a natural ecology...but we can do so in a manner that is as least harmful as possible and part of that is education but another part is a philosophical change to be as responsible and sustainable as possible.

Pointing out others flaws in this respect does nothing to improve the situation and usually alienates them,better to act ethically as an example.

I can understand the exitement of some people wanting to interact with the animals in the water, but the way I see it is I am a guest in their home. A privileged guest no less. If an animal through curiosity initiated contact with me, then cool. If not I am happy to quietly observe, whilst minimizing the impact I have in their "house".

I can't imagine being inundated by all sorts of sea creatures unannounced barging through my front door while I am trying to sleep, eat, etc, being poked, prodded and handled. :D

There is no one that is clean of the charge of interaction with wildlife. I personally have no concerns about it. I think more damage is done by nature than any human contact could ever do. That does not mean I deliberately would go out and modify the environment, just because I can.. My point is that while there are those who are on the poor fishies ,dont touch them bench , they shed no tears while running that boat with fueled exhaust discharged in the water to be with them and not contact them. Its funny how people draw lines such that they themselves are not party to what they object about. There are those that if you spill a quart of oil everboard it is a crime against mankind. and then,,,, the earth spews millions of gallons of oil without mankind assistance and heals itself. As many times,,, I just want to just throw a log on the fire but have to remind myself that that log has feelings too, so I just turn on the electric heater instead. sniffle sniffle. We have listened to these complaints for years. The responce is many times positive such as cleaner automobiles, and the like ,,,,,,,yet a couple of volcano's blowing thier tops produce ( as claimed), 10,000 years of auto emissions per blow. Any cleaning of autos is moot when you include what nature itself does. Would I like to have the 60's cars back again,,,,, absolutely not. Do i think the new cars have gone any distance to help the ozone. not one ioda. Have we made the exhaust smell better in the mall parking lots YEPPER. I am one of these divers that believes that anywhere I go I do so for the enjoyment of it. I avoid touching things because i want them to be there the way they have always been to enjoy agian and agian. I dont consider the waters equal to a garden where you pick what you want and plow it under each year and start over. Not a single one of my concerns are in regards for the inhabitants of the dive area. Its for the preservation of what is an untouched area to enjoy. For those that may think i dump my car oil in the bay to get rid of it, that is not hte case. Every time we enter the water environment we change it. we have chemicals on us and chemicles in our wet suits and gear. Face it we change the area. We go to coz and eels come out for photo ops when they sence us coming. Heck its like disney land and getting your pic taken with micky. The frequent presence of divers alone does change sea life behavior. So its where the line is drawn and how extreem we react to where others draw thier line. Look how many times the huggers have interviened with wildlife by hunting controls. Someone behind a desk decides there are too many 4 legged widgets in the area and raises the huntine limits jsut to find the negative inpact later is not good because of someone elses intervention. The planet has taken care of it self pretty well for the past eternity. In most cases. unless you interject some incident that the earth can not handle itself,, most likely you are doing more harm than good. by trying to redesign the planet blueprint. The greatest danger comes in when you have someone with the authority to force thier misguided wants on others. Even worse yet arre those that have no authority but do more harm stirring the pot and gettng nothing done. AL GORE comes to mind. Just how large of a footprint does he have whining about ice melting off the top of active lava flowing volcano's. There are those that get all teared up about contacting the .000000001% of a species and dont think a minute that of the 80% of them are consumed by other sealife. Most often we become victoms of our own misplaced over sensitivity. Dont get me wrong I am not the enemy here. I am all for additional protections being put in place where we are allowed to interact as a means to ballance our passing. You just cant allow a popular dive spot to irradicate what made it a popoular dive spot. Out fedreal reservations accomplish this. We also have those that put them selves on equal standing with all life. So if humans have a 99% chance of living to an old age then sea life should be able to do the same. Sealife is part of the food chain for other sealife. Untill humans are part of the food chain for other humans we should not thnk of sealife or any other life the same as us. SOILENT GREEN anyone. The main attraction of sealife for me is that it is natural and mostly unaltered by humans. It is the environment whrere I go to get away from the effects of what humans has screwed up above the water line trying to make it better.

How about when I'm peering under a rock on a night dive with a light and a harbor seal slides up along side me under my arm to see what I'm looking at, who do I complain to about that?

One year I got "adopted" by a harbor seal pup who I named "Junior" ... for a whole winter he would join me every time I went diving at the site where he was living. At first it was really cool ... after a while it got to where I found myself wishing he'd just go bother somebody else. Besides stirring up all the silt with his antics, he'd scare away all the other critters. I once wrote a story about Junior and posted it here on ScubaBoard. I got in trouble with some folks who accused me of molesting him. It was more the other way around. Cute little bugger ... but after a few minutes of swimming together I decided he really didn't make a very good dive buddy ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Not sure what you mean by personal dignity--that of the fish/turtle or of the diver getting a ride?

I was referring to the diver. Doubt if a fish or turtle has a concept of dignity. Granted that there are other ways to impact the environment, I don't agree with intentionally abusing other entities. By the way, my post was not in any way intended to be a shot at you.

Riding sea turtles is an absolute abuse of the animal. It destroys their dignity, and trivializes the wonder and amazement that we should derive from the animals on this planet (or in her oceans).

It is nothing like.. say . Slapping a large hunk of processed cow skin on a horse's back and then strapping it down so it won't slide off and then sliding a metal rod into the mouth and tieing it back with a few ropes (or slices of cow skin) and then climbing on top of the animal and kicking it in the ribs, Riding horses is a wonderful, dignified and beautiful means to interact with a large grazing animal.

I was referring to the diver. Doubt if a fish or turtle has a concept of dignity. Granted that there are other ways to impact the environment, I don't agree with intentionally abusing other entities. By the way, my post was not in any way intended to be a shot at you.

Didn't think it was a shot at all. You make some good points, as do the last 3 other most recent posters. My main point as stated is that I think divers like to make a mountain out of a molehill at times with this subject. Many point to the fact that we are "guests" in their house. Maybe. I'm not so sure though. We've found a way to go underwater, so maybe that makes it part of our house as well. Birds fly and we can't (without planes), but they also walk where we live. But again, I would not find it exciting to ride a turtle (we do have amusement parks that MAY have better rides), nor do I like it when a bird s#its on me (well, my car--can't recall actually being hit).

Riding sea turtles is an absolute abuse of the animal. It destroys their dignity, and trivializes the wonder and amazement that we should derive from the animals on this planet (or in her oceans).

It is nothing like.. say . Slapping a large hunk of processed cow skin on a horse's back and then strapping it down so it won't slide off and then sliding a metal rod into the mouth and tieing it back with a few ropes (or slices of cow skin) and then climbing on top of the animal and kicking it in the ribs, Riding horses is a wonderful, dignified and beautiful means to interact with a large grazing animal.

uh_meme_by_gumwolf-d5rpqr0.png

I think posting the photo's of a diver at a private aquarium skews and polarizes the conversation quite a bit.

I for one dont wear gloves when i dive. they are a pain in the arse to take on/off and keep track of when on the boat.

The reason and logic why I dont touch stuff when im diving thru trial and error. Like when a child touches something hot, they learn.

Nematocysts firing into my forearm from brushing a haddoni or a hells fire anemone, check.....
Picking corals out of my calf from getting pushed in a surge, check....
swollen fingers from mystery scrapes, check...

I'll grab a clear spot on the reef with my bare hands to steady for a photo, but thats about it.

hope this thread doesn't get too derailed with aged debates about pollution, footprints etc.

In a previous thread where messing with hermit crabs was discussed, someone pointed out that there are zillions of them and a diver could easily harm them by stepping on them while exiting. I'm not disagreeing with your post, just throwing some stuff out there.

When I first started diving in the late 60's I used to chop up sea urchins with my big dive knife to feed the fish. I thought nothing of it because everyone did it. I never ONCE heard anyone say that this shouldn't be done.

Now I know how crucial the sea urchin is to the balance of reef life. It would never occur to me to do that and I will speak up quickly if I saw anyone do that.

Why? because I had to LEARN that this was a bad thing to do. Taking people to task will, hopefully, help them learn not to do this harassment. If not, a little humiliation might.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom