Is adding RAM to computer the key?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deleting temp files won't free up memory, it'll free up hard drive space though (if you're running low).

One thing that may help is scanning your computer for spyware. If you don't have a program to do this with, look into Ad-Aware. It's free and works well. Even if you're careful, you'd be suprised how much of this stuff can get installed on your computer without you being aware of it (and how much it can slow your computer down!)

sjspeck:
Your computer has shared video memory. It actually has 256MB of RAM installed and 12 is dedicated to the video processor. It also means that your video processor is part of your motherboard so there's no video memory upgrade possible.
Should you want to upgrade your video card, you would have to change a jumper on the motherboard to turn it off so you could add one.

You probably have (2)x 128MB RAM modules installed. Depending on how the motherboard is configured, you probably have at least 2 open RAM slots left. If you have two, you'll most likely have to buy two more as that generally means your board accepts them in pairs, although this is not always the case, especially if it takes different types of memory modules also.(long explanation I won't go into unless necessary)

I would take the previous posters advice and start with a memory upgrade. If you can't determine what you currently have installed in your computer, post the make/model and I might be able to tell you the specs for the memory that would work in your computer, you could just remove the old one(s) and replace them. Memory is really cheap now, especially if you have a small computer dealer nearby. Best Buy or CompUsa aren't overly high-priced either. Or crucial.com is another good source.

Photoshop just loves memory, it's one of the few programs that will use all you give it.
At a bare minimum, professional photo editors start with 2GB of RAM in their machines.

hth,

I was thinking the same thing sjspeck re shared video memory, but I was't quite sure of it. Sometimes for whatever reason windows understates the amount of installed memory on a system.

I should mention that the biggest single change I saw in Photoshop performance was when I upgraded my video card last year. Large 30-40MB Tifs just pop open now. But the video upgrade was about $150, memory is a cheaper option.

Ah..., leesa I guess you're opening humungous RAW files from the Canon with photoshop now?

Just to give you an idea of Adobe's recommended setting Adobe photoshop elements 4.0

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopelwin/systemreqs.html

Windows

* Intel® Pentium® III or 4 or Intel Centrino™ (or compatible) 800MHz processor
* Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional, Home Edition, or Media Center Edition 2005 with Service Pack 2
* 256MB of RAM (512MB recommended)
* 900MB of available hard-disk space
* Color monitor with 16-bit color video card
* 1,024x768 monitor resolution
* Microsoft DirectX 9 compatible display driver
* CD-ROM drive
* For handhelds: Requires Palm OS® 4.0, 4.1, or 5.0 and Palm Desktop 4.0 or 4.01

If software recommends a certain amount of RAM i'd double it to get decent performance :D.

Jamdiver:
If software recommends a certain amount of RAM i'd double it to get decent performance :D.

Good advice, right there.

Also, here at work, I'm the quasi-IT guy here at work, and spyware is a big problem if not taken care of. One computer here has the record of 725 spyware programs installed at once. Opening a folder took 30 minutes!

Video memory isn't going to be an issue, but 244MB of RAM certainly is if you're working with Photoshop, particularly if you are on XP.

Without knowing more about your PC I can't recommend specific upgrades (brand/model would be helpful) but 512MB should be the rock bottom for what you're trying to do.

You should, in general, be able to remove whatever you have and drop in a pair of 512MB sticks of RAM for well under $100, or the same price for 3-4 sticks of 256MB.

gfisher is also spot on in the spyware department. Run Ad-Aware.

I suppose I'll throw in my 2 cents about this.

All RAM is not compatible with all computers. You have to match types. Even within the same types you can run into strange problems if you go and buy the K-Mart special(s) then mix and match. Stick with name brands, crucial usually has a decent deal going on. You should be able to add to your existing system without much of a headache, if you have slots available. That said...

How much system memory do you have available right now? If you've already got a gig or so and your still running into problems you probably have some program leaking memory.

How large are the pictures you are trying to work with? Resolution? File size? At what color depth.

-Matt

The camera is taking 12.8MP photos. Looking at the picture files they range from 2.5 to 6 MB
13.gif
Not taking RAW just yet, still playing around. :wink:

I am using XP and PSE 3
RAM ist 244 (is that what you mean Matt?)
I have 23 GIG of 80 available storage
My security software tells me that there is no spyware (hard to believe - should I cross check?)
My computer is an emachine AMD XP 2000+

justleesa:
I have 23 GIG of 80 available storage
This can also be a problem. Generally speaking, one should not fill a hard drive containing the OS more than 80%. It seriously slows your system down. If you have not already done so, defragment your hard drive. With that much stuff on your system, you may have a horrendous fragmentation rate on your hard drive. Optimizing may significantly help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom