Is adding RAM to computer the key?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looking at those specs for your machine you need more RAM. 256Mb (which you can only see 244Mb of for some reason) is very minimal for an XP machine - it'll run, but not spectacularly. It will use something called a virtual memory swap file, or page file, a lot as well. This is a file that is put on your harddrive that Windows uses like extra RAM. If this swap file is very fragmented it'll slow things down a lot. Adding a heavy duty program like PS will also not help. I would get at least 256Mb more RAM, and if you can afford it I'd consider 512Mb.
Defragmenting your files will also help.
In fact a program called Norton Utilities would help you a lot. It'll fix a lot of small Windows errors that build up over time and has it's own defragmenting program - Speeddisk - that is a lot better than the Windows default defragmenter. It can significantly improve performance.

Get the RAM first though.

justleesa:
The camera is taking 12.8MP photos. Looking at the picture files they range from 2.5 to 6 MB
13.gif
Not taking RAW just yet, still playing around. :wink:

I am using XP and PSE 3
RAM ist 244 (is that what you mean Matt?)
I have 23 GIG of 80 available storage
My security software tells me that there is no spyware (hard to believe - should I cross check?)
My computer is an emachine AMD XP 2000+

There you go justleesa. You are a bit low on system memory. Try this just to confirm...

1. Reboot your pc
2. Hit alt-ctrl-delete to bring up your task manager. (in Win2k, WinXP)
3. Click the Performances Tab, watch the PF usage bar.
4. Open your pictures and play. As soon as your memory usage exceeds your total available physical memory your machine will start swapping off the hard disk and things will slow to a crawl.

If you want to, try this website: http://www.upgradememory.com/

They have a memory configurator on the site, which can help you figure out what kind of memory you computer needs, as well as a price starting point.

I've never bought from them, but I can't remember what store I bought my latest memory upgrade from.

EDIT: Found it! http://www.crucial.com/
They also have a memory configurator, they have good prices and I haven't had a problem with them with 2 purchases so far.

If you defrag your drive, could you post what the original fragmentation rate was? I have a perverse fascination with this.

You might consider getting a new computer.
Often you can get a complete new system for little more than a couple of upgrades on an older one.

More RAM is good and if you can get the RAM you need cheaply it is worth a try.

pipedope:
Often you can get a complete new system for little more than a couple of upgrades on an older one.

The XP2000+ processor is still quite reasonable. I'm still using an XP1800+. I recently changed the video card to a NVidia GX5200 with 128Mb onboard, and added 512Mb Ram for a total now of 1GB. That cost me around US$100 in total.

justleesa:
I have taken a few pictures with my new camera and notice that my computer is deadly slow in opening them. I haven't worked on them yet but I am sure that my PSE will tell me that they are too big to create panoramas. I am guessing that the solution would be more RAM, right?
If so, are all brands compatible with all computers? Can I just add or do I need to replace?
Help would be much appreciated.

If its fairly new, I'd suggest a video card with a LOT of onboard RAM. Since most vidcards have their own processors on them anymore, a bit of extra video RAM to push the graphic to before its processed and put out on the monitor will make a big difference.

If your PC is a few years old you may consider a new PC with as much as you care to afford for a vid-card upgrade in it as you can. CPU/motherboard/ram combos are pretty cheap anymore ($150-$400 can get you some really classy stuff compared to technology of 2 years ago).

No matter where you choose to go with it, do your research then check out http://www.pricewatch.com/ and froogle.google.com to try and find the best deals on it. :)

Use your system tools, set up for a scan disk and defrag it. Norton is a boggin peice of software that doesn't really offer any advantages over the built in tools except to make that Norton dude a few more dollars... even their antivirus is poopoo.

Definitely check for spyware... if you want some more advanced checking tools, I can share :)

Let me know if you need help!

pipedope:

Yep, a 3 yo computer has got to have a lot of old hangups. (Like my geek jargon?)

You might be able to move into a new computer, using the same monitor, keyboard, speakers and such - then salvage the XP license from the old one for resell to lower costs. Maybe - I'd be at the mercy of the Best Buy "Geek Squad" if I tried.

The new one may come with 512 Mb of Ram, but spend an extra $50-75 to add another 1/2 gig stick in the available slot. A 4 cylinder car will do the speed limit, but a V-8 will get you up to speed faster. :D

Sorry, I've already told you more than I know here, that's it.

Dang, I'm running a 4 year old Athlon XP 1600+ with a gig of RAM. I'm not sure what her puter specs are, but a 3 year old computer is no reason to go out and buy a new one.

The system RAM is the hangup. 256 is the bare minimum to run XP, and 512 is really a dramatic improvement just in terms of general use (email, internet, etc). Bumping up from 244 to 1GB in a system doing image editing on XP is going to be a WORLD of difference. A faster hard drive and CPU would make a noticeable difference, but I am quite confident that 1GB of RAM will satisfy her.. and $100 is a heck of a lot cheaper than a new computer that would STILL probably come with 256MB anyway!!

BTW, when it comes to RAM, the stuff off Pricewatch is hit and miss. The "cheap" stuff often has high DOA rates and shoddy RAM leads directly to system instability. Put the cheap stuff in, and two days later you get a blue screen, and it's virtually impossible to prove it's the RAM and the place will hit you with big restocking fees to do a return.

Crucial.com is the way to go unless you want to take the risk (I have been burned several times by the cheap stuff from Pricewatch vendors).

DandyDon:
A 4 cylinder car will do the speed limit, but a V-8 will get you up to speed faster. :D

I dunno. My little 4cyl will beat many V-8's off the line.
Let's hear it for AWD and a quick-spooling turbo! :D :14: :05:

LaserNorwalkcropped_001.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom