Is Cozumel overhyped? (video report)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks!

For the vast majority of the underwater footage I use a GoPro hero 12. The big differences between just "ok" gopro footage and some of the nicer shots is the backscatter red filter, and a big ebay dive light that attaches to the housing (50$ "Suptig" unit). I set the gopro to 4k60 and try not to move/pan the camera very much if I'm recording. I slow some of the shots down too, and sometime have to correct colors a tad (very often still too blue or too red)

I also have a much bulkier camera setup that I used on my night dive, its a Sony a7RII with a big ol dive housing. I am by no means a pro; i don't have a dome port for wide angle, nor strobes or a cradle, I just attach that 50$ dive light to the top of the housing. I will only bother with this setup for night dive or macro, it just takes a bit too much effort otherwise!
Great, I used a GoPro 12 for the first time on a Red Sea liveaboard this summer and was blown away by the quality. We got super-lucky and had either hammerheads or a manta or both on each of 9 dives at Daedalus. We are heading to the Maldives on a liveaboard this week, I have got a set of filters and the new SeaDragon video light, cannot wait to start using them together.

The "novel" stony coral disease is rampant. And just in the six weeks between trips it has exploded IMO.

From November through Febuary El Nortes can be expected. The powerful polar front that just swept through though the plains and front range and barreled down into Mexico did close the port in Cozumel. However, we arrived just in time for the port to reopen and had wonderful, warm, mostly sunny weather :).

The cruise ships are killing Caribbean reefs and diving. They spread the coral disease from island to island. Not sure what to think right now about it, still processing :(.

The "novel" stony coral disease is rampant. And just in the six weeks between trips it has exploded IMO.

From November through Febuary El Nortes can be expected. The powerful polar front that just swept through though the plains and front range and barreled down into Mexico did close the port in Cozumel. However, we arrived just in time for the port to reopen and had wonderful, warm, mostly sunny weather :).

The cruise ships are killing Caribbean reefs and diving. They spread the coral disease from island to island. Not sure what to think right now about it, still processing :(.

Are you sure it is a disease and not the warm temperatures of the ocean?

I would love to understand the difference between SCTLD (which we saw in Bonaire on brain corals and other hard corals) and the bleaching I just saw in October in Cozumel. SCTLD was explained as a disease that starts as a spot and spreads on a coral until the coral dies killing both algae and coral both at the same time. Bleaching in Coz (which seemed to be finger, one or two kinds of soft and lettuce corals only) was explained to me as instead of being dead, the white coral were still alive with their pollyps extended but they had ejected their algae (which is also what gives it the color) because of water temp. Next step is death if they don't get the color back but not the same cause of turning white and dying as SCTLD. Please help refine my understanding if you would! Thanks!

I would love to understand the difference between SCTLD (which we saw in Bonaire on brain corals and other hard corals) and the bleaching I just saw in October in Cozumel. SCTLD was explained as a disease that starts as a spot and spreads on a coral until the coral dies killing both algae and coral both at the same time. Bleaching in Coz (which seemed to be finger, one or two kinds of soft and lettuce corals only) was explained to me as instead of being dead, the white coral were still alive with their pollyps extended but they had ejected their algae (which is also what gives it the color) because of water temp. Next step is death if they don't get the color back but not the same cause of turning white and dying as SCTLD. Please help refine my understanding if you would! Thanks!

I was in Cozumel about 7 weeks ago. I dove several of the same places just last week as 7 weeks ago. I noted several areas of corals with small white spots previous. Those white spots now have grown on the VERY SAME corals to mostly cover the entire coral. And numerous areas of now white corals where only a small white spot or two was noted 7 weeks ago. On many of the corals a line (between dead and dying and unaffected) of progression is clearly evident.

I saw what I saw. And I saw the same progression in Bonaire. If you think this is something else, well, I guess without further, non-politiacal correct evidence to the contrary, then I will dissagree. I am going to say that the majority of now dead corals I observed from 7 weeks ago and now this past week is from the stoney coral disease.

I did not do a scientific survey by counting the corals vs density of affected corals and unaffected corals, but it sure seems the hot spots 7 weeks ago were nearest the cruise ship docks and now it is everywhere. But, you know, I could be wrong or blind or confused. But I doubt it.

It is especially upsetting to me because I have been diviing Cozumel since about 1979. I have seen the reefs and marine life go up and down and up again. And the locals have been doing much better of recent years as good stewards of their wonderful resource, and now this :(.

Here is a link describing SCTLD Stony Coral Tissue Loss Disease (SCTLD) - Coral Disease & Health Consortium

Here is a link describing coral bleaching. What is coral bleaching?.

Thanks!

For the vast majority of the underwater footage I use a GoPro hero 12. The big differences between just "ok" gopro footage and some of the nicer shots is the backscatter red filter, and a big ebay dive light that attaches to the housing (50$ "Suptig" unit). I set the gopro to 4k60 and try not to move/pan the camera very much if I'm recording. I slow some of the shots down too, and sometime have to correct colors a tad (very often still too blue or too red)

I also have a much bulkier camera setup that I used on my night dive, its a Sony a7RII with a big ol dive housing. I am by no means a pro; i don't have a dome port for wide angle, nor strobes or a cradle, I just attach that 50$ dive light to the top of the housing. I will only bother with this setup for night dive or macro, it just takes a bit too much effort otherwise!
What system do you use for the arms and float?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom