Is Cozumel overhyped? (video report)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thread title is a bit of click bait.

There have a few threads/posts that have been along the lines of "Cozumel isn't the same" as it was before. A few weeks back i did 9 dives in Cozumel, and despite having been diving virtually all over the world I really enjoyed my first trip to Coz. Loved it even. Maybe it was better 20 years ago, I'm sure it was, but overall diving was awesome.

That was fabulous! We just took a refresher course in Cozumel but because my husband had a bad cold, we did one long dive at Paradise Reef and didn't dive again. This motivated me to book a reservation to return! Thank you!

Yea I lost 1.5 days of diving as well. I will consider avoiding the Oct/Nov timeframe in the future. Edit: 4 days is brutal! Sorry!
I was in Cozumel Nov 8th to 17th. Dove around the 14th. What does it mean that the port was closed? Thank you!

I was in Cozumel Nov 8th to 17th. Dove around the 14th. What does it mean that the port was closed? Thank you!
Port closed = due to weather/wind all aquatic activities and boats below a certain length cannot leave port. short answer = no diving.

Are you asking what "closing the port" means? When the wind is of sufficient strength and from a certain range of direction between northerly and westerly, the port administrator will issue a directive limiting or prohibiting the operation of boats and other aquatic activities in the waters around Cozumel. Sometimes only larger boats can go out, and sometimes no boats at all can. Sometimes only part of the island is under this directive and sometimes it is the entire island.

There have a few threads/posts that have been along the lines of "Cozumel isn't the same" as it was before.

We went to Cozumel for the first time right after Hurricane Wilma eighteen years ago. Yes, there was extensive damage in San Miguel, but the diving was MAGNIFICENT! The reefs and diving were spactacular!

While we were there, dozens and dozens of people lamented that Wilma "destroyed" the reefs and they would never return to Cozumel ever again.

We have returned to Coz about 25 times in the last 18 years. We went to Coz four times in two years during the pandemic. It's always been fun. My wife's favorite wine is, "I wanna go to Cozumel!" Or maybe I should have said that's her favorite "whine."

For us, in the northeast USA, going to Cozumel is cheaper and better than going to Florida.
The people in Cozumel are nicer than Floridians.
The lodging is better in Cozumel.
The diving is better in Cozumel.
The food is much better in Mexico.

We quit going to Florida 18 years ago.

Great shots!

I haven't been to Coz in about ten years but, based on your footage, it does not appear to have changed significantly.

Do you mind sharing where you stayed and which dive operator you dove with?

Thanks for the awesome vid.

Cheers,
A

Port closed = due to weather/wind all aquatic activities and boats below a certain length cannot leave port. short answer = no diving.
Ah, thank you. That is disappointing when you go there for diving,
Nancy

Are you asking what "closing the port" means? When the wind is of sufficient strength and from a certain range of direction between northerly and westerly, the port administrator will issue a directive limiting or prohibiting the operation of boats and other aquatic activities in the waters around Cozumel. Sometimes only larger boats can go out, and sometimes no boats at all can. Sometimes only part of the island is under this directive and sometimes it is the entire island.
That's no fun!! We were there in November and didn't experience that, thankfully. Thank you for the information,
Nancy

Ah, thank you. That is disappointing when you go there for diving,
Nancy
Mostly November through Febuary Cozumel may experience an El Norte which is basically a frontal passage. The wind shifts from the normal easterly direction to a northerly direction. Since the current generally, but not entirely, runs south to north then having a north wind against the current makes for really rough conditions. When the wind is from the east the island itself acts as a barrier to the wind and the waters are calm and pleasent. Rarely is the port closed for more than a day, often only a half day, but the week before we arrived I think it was closed most of the week. A very strong polar front had barreled through the plains states and spilled down into Mexico. It happens sometimes in the winter months.

We went to Cozumel for the first time right after Hurricane Wilma eighteen years ago. Yes, there was extensive damage in San Miguel, but the diving was MAGNIFICENT! The reefs and diving were spactacular!

While we were there, dozens and dozens of people lamented that Wilma "destroyed" the reefs and they would never return to Cozumel ever again.

We have returned to Coz about 25 times in the last 18 years. We went to Coz four times in two years during the pandemic. It's always been fun. My wife's favorite wine is, "I wanna go to Cozumel!" Or maybe I should have said that's her favorite "whine."

For us, in the northeast USA, going to Cozumel is cheaper and better than going to Florida.
The people in Cozumel are nicer than Floridians.
The lodging is better in Cozumel.
The diving is better in Cozumel.
The food is much better in Mexico.

We quit going to Florida 18 years ago.
We went for the first time. We stayed at the Playa Azul and did a refresher course and dive with Aquatic Sports. Aquatic Sports was fabulous - she knew I was nervous and really made sure I felt safe. The Playa Azul was wonderful - everyone was helpful and friendly, it felt like family, not a big beach but good snorkeling right off the beach (a young barracuda and I looked at each other for about 10 minutes, I say a juvenile ray, tons of fish!,) the food was so good that we ate there most meals even though we hadn't gotten the AI, taxis to town and scuba were cheap, airfare was low.
I'm wanting to go back in April but my husband wants to try Curacao. I hope I'm not disappointed!
nancy
Mostly November through Febuary Cozumel may experience an El Norte which is basically a frontal passage. The wind shifts from the normal easterly direction to a northerly direction. Since the current generally, but not entirely, runs south to north then having a north wind against the current makes for really rough conditions. When the wind is from the east the island itself acts as a barrier to the wind and the waters are calm and pleasent. Rarely is the port closed for more than a day, often only a half day, but the week before we arrived I think it was closed most of the week. A very strong polar front had barreled through the plains states and spilled down into Mexico. It happens sometimes in the winter months.
Note to self: don't go in the winter! We may go back this April and thank you!

Back
Top Bottom