Is Diving in NJ that bad???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaK-Dawg:
more gear intensive, and most of the wrecks are relativiely deep,
Exactly how much more gear is required other than a drysuit? And, even if I got my AOW and Wreck cert, wouldn't I be foolish to boat dive off of NJ without a few tame "real world" dives under my belt? I don't want to bite off more than I can chew as a new diver.

I checked out the Wreck Valley website as suggested and it appears that there are some more mellow dives to do, but it seems to me that there's either relatively shallow shore dives in protected water and pretty deep dives without too many moderate dives in between.

I guess I need a diving mentor to show me the ropes...

Greg Di:
Exactly how much more gear is required other than a drysuit? And, even if I got my AOW and Wreck cert, wouldn't I be foolish to boat dive off of NJ without a few tame "real world" dives under my belt? I don't want to bite off more than I can chew as a new diver.

I checked out the Wreck Valley website as suggested and it appears that there are some more mellow dives to do, but it seems to me that there's either relatively shallow shore dives in protected water and pretty deep dives without too many moderate dives in between.

I guess I need a diving mentor to show me the ropes...

All of my dives are here in NJ/NY. There is so much history right in your back yard. So don't give up on diving here. You will find me on some boat somewhere allmost every weekend. You can get in more dives in a season here than you can taking a vacation down in Florida.

Your last line of this posting is the best thing you can do. Where are you getting your training?

NEWreckDiver:
Where are you getting your training?

I am training with Blue Water Divers in Ramsey/Rochelle Park, NJ. They seem pretty gung ho about diving in NJ and even more gung go about signing me up for more classes.

Greg Di:
I am training with Blue Water Divers in Ramsey/Rochelle Park, NJ. They seem pretty gung ho about diving in NJ and even more gung go about signing me up for more classes.

Greg,
Make sure you don't feel pushed into things you dont want. I am not of fan of Blue Water Divers, but that is just my experience with them.I also live in Bergen County with my fiance,also a diver(divemaster). I am a new diver and I will be going to Dutch Springs during the summer to get AOW before I even attempt a NJ Boat dive. I just wouldn't be comfortable at my level of experience. Maybe this would be a good solution for you too, so you could get some dives under your belt in a more controlled setting. I'll be glad to get in more diving then my 2 vacations a year. Good Luck and welcome soon to the world of diving.
Colleen

for most worthwhile wreck dives you will need AOW and a redundant air source.

I have to throw a vote in for Jersey. I love diving here and I've dove in the Carribean and St. Lawrence River. This vis isn't that bad usually and the cold can be dealt with. Definetly give it a chance.
I would think/hope that your instructor will suggest taking a boat dive as part of your check out. This can be a valuable experince getting to dive the ocean with an instructor to make you more comfortable. I would also suggest getting AOW for diving out here and fitting in some quarry dives in between to gain experience.

Hey Greg Di - Go for it!
Don't be intimidated by NJ diving or what anybody tells you about it. I got certified last June and I went right out to the Atlantic and dove on a wreck for my first real dive and it was a blast! I dove on the wreck of the Venturo which is a beginner wreck dive. It's a tugboat sunk on purpose as part of the Sea Girt artificial reef in 70' of water. There are thousands of dive sites out there from beginner to intermediate to advanced in a variety of depths. You can literally pick a dive trip per your training/experience level. Just tell the dive shop/club that has chartered the boat you're new and they'll get you onto one of the beginner wrecks. Many of the NJ dive boats have a "New Diver Day" for guys just like you. I dove in a 7mm Farmer John all year and will be diving in it again this year. So you'll be fine with that. Mind you I plan to be in a dry suit by next year, but for now you're good. By the summer's end I was diving on the "advanced" wrecks off shore in 130' of water such as the Stolt Dagali. I didn't even have a dive buddy or "mentor" and I just showed up at the boats alone. I always found somebody to dive with and if I couldn't one of the crew or divemaster dove with me - even better. You have plenty of training with AOW and wreck and you'll do great and be glad you did it. On clear & sunny days to viz is pretty good too, especially off shore. I love the local diving available to us in the atlantic and I can't wait to get back out this year. I even caught a lobster last year and ate it! Hey if you have any other questions drop me a PM. I can give you a lot of pointers being that I was a newly certified diver last year and went right into wreck diving in NJ and NC. See you in the Atlantic!

Greg Di

There are shops that have realized there are quite a few people like you, who are beginner divers and want to see what NJ wreck diving is like. I know one shop (Hunterdon Scuba) has scheduled some of their boat trips this year specifically for 1st time wreck divers. The dives will be approx 70' max. There are two trips scheduled, June 20 and Aug 1. I don't mean it to sound like an advertisement, I'm sure there are other clubs/shops that are doing the same thing.

I have attempted many dives in NJ, have actually done exactly one dive, (due to seasickness and nothing else!) at the RR bridge in PP, and can say that it is every bit as, if not more, interesting, than coral reefs. I *loved* that dive. Cannot wait to do it again. I would have stayed down there for hours if the tide wasn't coming in!
What they said. Get your AOW and a couple of easier dives under your belt first, then give it a try. It's really a great thing we have here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom