Is it just MY instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We had a store here that sold a $400 certification.What was never disclosed untilthe end of class that you had to own your own exposure protection.Here that means at least a 6mm or drysuit.

Personal gear was above that it think.

When the store closed they never finished off the students check outs.Must be at least a dozen or two students.

The other store in town is capitalizing on this by charging $80 per dive on the check outs.

Over the last 5 years I have noticed a trend in this pricing .

would you actually take up the sport if you were told it would cost $800 ?

AS an instructor I plan on running a trip to the tropics early next year for people wanting to learn to dive.I will include everything(except meals).
That would be equipment,plain fair,hotel,dives,etc for about$$....What would you think is fair price?

Ron

EVERYTHING... and I do my teaching for donations to the ScubaDucks. Too funny! Even though my classes are run on a "cost" basis plus donation, you would be surprised at how many skip on the donation part. Some even try to get me to absorb their costs too. Simply amazing! BFWIW, I think you are spending a LOT of money for your class.

NetDoc once bubbled...
............. I think you are spending a LOT of money for your class.

Well, I disagree with Pete. What's "a LOT" ? Certainly you were mislead, but about $370 to learn to dive (before gear costs) is not too bad, IMO, and you shouldn't have to pay it if they lied to you. If you were my student you'd be paying me less than 10 bucks an hour at that rate. What will you do for ME for 10 bucks an hour? (I bet Pete wouldn't fix my network for that rate.) Grrr, grumble, b*tch and moan. Okay, I'm better now. :)

Neil

I had a similar experience when I got certified. I think it was $299, but then $65 or so for each of the two days at the lake. I think that was for tanks and gear rental, including 7mm.

My LDS charges £250 for the OW course and that includes *everything* except your accomadation on the check out dives. The only thing I had to pay over that for the entire course was the cost of my hotel when I went away for the OW dives.

In my area however the normal cost of OW is about £350 again includes *everything* nothing else has to be paid out until you start diving yourself after training.

I don't think that was a private class... so multiply your $10 by 8! Even then, most dive shops in our area try to just break even on traiing to get people into the shop to buy gear.

Over here it's about 350$ for the AOW cours. This include all the equipment, at least 4 dives from a boat, certification papers and such. Juast the OW part is 170$. You will be asked to pay about 35$ betwin the OW to the AOW for insurance.
Off cours the stuff will push you into buying at least the basic gear but during courses you get about 25% discount on all equipment.

DJ69 once bubbled...
Over here it's about 350$ for the AOW cours. This include all the equipment, at least 4 dives from a boat, certification papers and such. Juast the OW part is 170$. You will be asked to pay about 35$ betwin the OW to the AOW for insurance.
Off cours the stuff will push you into buying at least the basic gear but during courses you get about 25% discount on all equipment.

Your profile gives no clue as to where "over here" is...

Israel, med side
Red sea side can get even cheaper.

Diving is good there and in all my dealings with the shops / clubs down in Eilat I did not find anyone running a scam on students, and no matter what a course costs there, look what there is to see even on the OW check out dives at Har Migdolar...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom