Is it just MY instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As with any purchase, you have to do your research. You did get screwd!!!However, most dive shops (in Canada anyway) will give a price for the OW course and than a price for the Open water dives. Reason being is that some people rather do the open water dives down south (but people that are new to the sport don't really know the details of a full course, unless they inquire. Dive shops/instructors have responsibility to educate new to be divers about, not only the costs involved in the OW course but also the commitment needed to continue diving. I was lucky, however, for my course; I set up a course for me and 15 of my friends and we were able to get the ENTIRE course (no rentals or purchases required, include the open water dives) for 300$ (and that's canadian $$$)...not bad. Cheers :)

I got certed when I was on Maui last year -- PADI OW cert: US$125 + books and c-card.

Total: ~US$200.

This included *all* equipment (mask, fins, bc, tanks, reg set, wetsuit) and air fills for 6 ocean dives.

At the end of 3 days, I knew everything (more, actually) than PADI said I had to for certification.

It appears that a lot of people here are being gouged -- at an LDS in Vancouver, BC, the certification cost is CA$289 -- ~US$200. This includes:

- 5 classroom sessions
- 5 pool dives
- 4 ocean dives
- All equipment rentals
- PADI certification

They say "What you'll need to bring to the Open Water session:
1. Swim suit
2. Towel
3. Money for the pool lockers
4. Transportation to and from the pool and open water dive sites"

I'd definitely have done a little more shopping around judging by some of the stories here!!!

Mine and my wifes course cost $224.00/ea which included the course materials, pool sessions, equipment (except mask,fin, and snorkel), and all entry fees for Devils Den and Rainbow River in Florida. This was a 6 week course with a non-LDS instructor.

Only additional cost was the trip to Florida itself(around $500 for the weekend). It was worth that cost since it was a rather fun trip.

Cheers

Ron Brandt once bubbled...

Thanks , I will or at least have a friend of mine and his wife drop in the next time she visits her mother.

Who is running it? What agency ?

Tim and Tessa are the owners, and the agency they are affiliated with is PADI. If you or your friend plan to drop by, take note they open weekdays at 12:00 - 6:00 M-W 12:00 - 8:00 T-F, so if you drop by in the morning you'll be out of luck. Saturdays they open at 9 AM till 4 PM.

P.S. Bombers Sucked last night:wacko:

The point is that all cost's need to be stated up front before the cours begin.
Over here it is not costumary to brake the cost to Pool sessions, sea sessions, dives from a boats, equipment and such. When they say cours it mean every thing is included.
About the equipment, Over here they don't like the students to come with privet stuff. I asked once and the owner told me that it's an insurance thing. In any case you will not get a cost reduction for bringing your own equipment.
Also if there are any extra cost's above the cours price like insurance/cert papers they are also stated up front. If there are things not included that you don't have to buy but optional like books it's also stated up front, and during the cours the dive center will lend you the video tapes or the books as needed with out any fee.
It's a standard thing to give a person who ask about a scuba cours (Or any other thing) all the information BEFORE he start the cours itself. Personally I'd stay away from any place who dose not do the same, and it's not just dive related. It's a good buisnes practis.

This new computer is just 100$ :D
(why do you need a hard drive, it's not like we give you windows to install on it)

That's not too bad, some shops won't even talk to you unless you drive up in an expensive car and look like you will shell out $3K for the course and gear. FL and HI are cheap to learn to dive, then again, they give away courses hoping to have a regular diver in their door.

If you think what you have gone through is bad, you hav'nt seen nothing yet. The sooner you can own your own gear and cut the cord with the dive shop/agencies the sooner you will be able to afford to dive.

I choose not to renew my instructors this year. Buy the time you shell out for insurance, member dues/fees, students materials, c card, airfills, ($30 per student) equipment and maintenance. You do not make anything on the basic course fee. Hopefully you can make a few dollars on the mask fins and snorkel. These are size sensitive items and extremely few shops rent them. So you will need to own them. I also suggest you buy a wet suit. Not that most guys would mind having to rent a pink suit that is too small with breast cups...maybe they would. There are two types of divers,...those that pee in their suits and those that lie about it. When you take on bottom pressure and your bladder is half or a third its size with two or three times the pressure on it,..your going to pee.

As for the check out. This may have been the fee for the check out instructor over several days and dives, or a fee to enter a park, spring or boat. Normally there are free options

Scuba13 once bubbled...
It seems that this PADI is a money pit. Is it just my instructor? So I sign up, $279, they say everything is included. We have an orientation, and they say we all have to buy mask, fin, snorkel. So i shell out $200 bucks for thats equipment. Then he says, oh by the way, your 4 open water dives are not covered here. You have to pay an extra $89 to do that. Geez oh man, this is starting to be like a scam. I know SCUBA is expensive, but shouldn't they tell you this upfront instead of telling you once you have already started?!

You can eisily get your money back. Just take them to small claims court. Be sure to bring your written info (or contract).

What's that? You didn't get it it writing?

Shame on the lds, sure. But who made the poor decision here?

Wanna buy some swamp land in upstate NY?

Sorry for the sarcasm, playin the advocate here.

Unfortunately none of the training agencies certify instructors with an conscience card. Nor do agencies have the ability to regulate morals or ethics. You can however submit a complaint(to the training agency) regarding the lds's business ethics. You can also submit a complaint to your state's consumer protection division (attorney general) and or bbb.

You can learn a lot about any business by simply asking for a few references. Would you hire a contractor to install a heating (or cooloing) system in your home without researching what you are getting for your $$?

I sincerely hope that this bad experience will not taint your enthusiasm to SCUBA Dive. There are many quality instructors and dive centers out there.

Best wishes and good luck,

Andrew

Andrew

The only thing i spent for my OW and AOW training was time. both courses, course materials, personal gear and 4 OW dives were covered in the 'trade of service' arrangement i made with my shop. I re-did their ailing website and got certified!

www.blueoceandivers.com

best 20 hours of pixel pushing i ever spent!:eek:ut:

Back
Top Bottom