is my wife deformed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, forget the "Vouge" sense of diving and trying to color coordinate everything.
You're diving, not walking down a freaking runway at a whatever-ya-call-em.
Go to different shops and have her try masks until such time she finds one that fits.

After 40' all the colors go away anywhoooo . . .

the K

I have several masks and they all leak the moment I smile or make any kind of involuntary facial expression. I don't think I'm deformed :blinking:
Some masks are worse for me than others. Masks that come down in a v-shape such as this one are the worst.

Mares-X-Vision-Liquid-Skin-Mask.jpg

Have her try a couple of masks that are more square on the bottom like this one.

H2O-Alpha-2-Mask.jpg

I have always had at least some water in my mask(nearly 200 dives). I just thought that was part of it. Some masks of course are worse than others. I hate both my back ups. They are both high volume masks. My favorite mask is a Cressi horizon which was found in Cozumel during a dive, not on my face at the time :shakehead:.It is low volume and I have since worn it out. It also leaks some,but not near as much and the field of vision is great.
I realized early on that I tend to smile while I dive and always get more water that way.(A leaking masks is great clearing practice. I'm a pro :eyebrow:)I also have high wide cheek bones. Facial shape is bound to make a difference. I'm thinking a soft skirt might help me, may seal under these smiling cheeks better.
Also, I believe a low volume mask makes a difference. I have spent the last several days researching and willing to pay what it takes for a mask to make dives the best they can be for me. I finally decided to try the Tilos frameless, having read great reviews and being told it was also low volume. Scubatoys.com has a return policy that offers store credit if you're not happy after diving you're new gear. I have done business with them for the last few years since our LDS went out of business.Love 'em, they also have a good scuba forum. I was also seriously considering the following: Cressi Big Eyes and the Atomic Ultraclear. After reading many threads and reviews, considering price,and knowing nothing can guarantee fit while diving. I decided to try the Tilos. If I don't like it I can return it and try the Atomic. All three of these masks got great reviews and have the features I am looking for. I get to dive my new mask Jan. 16. Will be glad to share reviews after Jan. 24th if you message me.
So, if your wife is retarded, she ain't alone :mooner:

Oops!!! I meant "deformed" not the "R" word, my bad, please son't take offense anyone.

I don't understand why you bought so many masks. The LDS I work with a has a try before you buy policy. If you have to try 10 in the pool that's what they allow you to do.
I am landlocked and don't have access to many LDS, but, never found one to actually accept gear back after you dive it(until scubatoys that is).
I find that actually being in the ocean and at different depths and conditions makes a real difference.
IMHO :blinking:

I can't wear any sunscreen or lotion on my face or my mask won't seal properly. In addition, I have longish hair and yes, even one tiny strand can cause leaks. I deal with this by always wearing a hood, regardless of water temperature. If I laugh underwater, which is frequent, I do get a bit of water but I consider that a very small price to pay for having so much fun.

I have a clear crystal-vue, which fits my narrow face. Other colors of the same mask have a slightly different skirt shape (really, they do!) So it might come down to a specific individual mask. And watch out for too tight - it is tempting to pull that strap, but it makes mine leak. Even the difference between hood and no hood can cause a problem for me with the tightness. Good luck!

thank you for the tips and we will try them, the thing I don't understand is why would it work at the dive shop pool but not on "real" dives? we have been in the pool at the dive shops (with most every mask they have) and some she can't make leak with the whole make funny faces and smile frown etc. but when we are out diving they leak. I agree at this point I would pay whatever it took to find the right mask (as shown by having $$$$ in "backup" masks)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom