is my wife deformed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ya, have her quit laughing so hard underwater....

It is likely the strap not being tight enough, the new cloth straps do not have much bunji effect and to not push the mask against your face snug it up then take it off and tighten it a little more. she may also be breathing out through her nose and pushing the mask away. but I have found that a mask that fits me fine otherwise will leak if the strap is not tight enough also sometimes the extra bit of strap folds back and gets under the seal.

Did your wife wear lotions on her face while trying out the mask in the LDS and then slathered on sunscreen before jumping in the ocean? Many people don't have a problem, but I have found that when I do use anything on my face, the first dive will be a leaky dive. Subsequent dives are less of a problem because the layer of lotion has been rubbed away with the towel.

:rofl3: easier yes, less expensive NO WAY!!! :rofl3:
we have tried several mask straps as well the rubber ones the neoprene ones the cloth ones but no change. this weekend we are going to look for some of the big frameless ones that have been suggested. wish me luck:D

If her face is smaller like mine, have her try the Ion 3- it's designed for women and teens- works great, but the others are right that strap needs to be snug and at the back of your head. Very low or very high ponytail only.

Let us know how you get on. Identify with the experiences. Yes, it is the smile that does it. But there has to be a clue - doesn't leak in the pool but does on a real dive? So the lotion theory looks a possibility. But how's this? Try on a mask in the pool. Is the mask brand new? If so, skirt is absolutely clean. If the mask is a demonstration model then skirt may not be clean. So - does this square with the suggestion to put vaseline round the skirt? I believe there is some stuff specifically designed to help a mask skirt seal. Or - do you need to clean the skirt after every dive?

What are the other differences with sea dives? Current pulling on the mask or speed of finning - our pool isn't big enough for proper finning - even gentle speed.

We were told that the TUSA Liberator Plus (not straight Liberator) was the one to try when all else fails. I take it you've tried that one - it is an old design. It worked for herself.

I had this problem too when I first started, but my problem was that the snorkel pulled on my mask and would let water in. I solved the problem by removing the snorkel. (Did I say that ? :wink: )

i never wear a snorkel unless it's for rescue training... meaning, my instructor is present :D

yep.. there are a lot of factors such as depth, your wife's hair and her hoodie...

or prolly, her face is small.. just like mine... it took me 2 hours to get a mask that fits me.

Hi,

If your wife has a smaller face, you may wish to consider a child/ young adult mask (from a known scuba manufacturer). This may give her the fit she requires.

I am sure she will find a mask that fits her well or will find a change in technique more or less solves the problem. I doubt that she is deformed. This is one of those problems that she will overcome. By the way, congratulate her on receiving her cert. My wife also is a diver and it is a great pastime for couples.

thank you for all your help. it seems we have a winner with a "Panview" mask we found in a clearance bin and it was only $20. she has tried it and so far no leaks (we will find out for sure in two weeks in Roatan!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom