Jellys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nyprrthd:
Oh yeah, I almost forgot that the OP asked about thermal protection/dive skin in Cozumel. You would not be unhappy in a 3mm full suit, or at least a skin. If you do 2 dives a day, by the end of the week you'll be so glad that you'll want to send me a bottle of tequila. PM me for my address.

One reminder to members who tend to be sarcastic in the physical world: No one can see your tongue in your cheek when you post to the board. It's something I have to remember every time I begin to type.................

You might want to read the thread again. I don't need thermal protection.

Hemlon:
You might want to read the thread again. I don't need thermal protection.
Sorry, this thread went so far off-topic, and I didn't go back to the original post. I only remembered that it had something to do with a dive skin. I still recommend some type of full covering, whether it's a skin or a 3mm wetsuit. We did encounter something that stung (thimble jelly larve, shrimp, or whatever) on our night dive. Some of the dives have a lot of swim-throughs, and it's a good idea to protect yourself from possible brushes with rock, coral, or critters that are camouflaged.

Whatever you decide, have a great trip.

nyprrthd:
Sorry, this thread went so far off-topic, and I didn't go back to the original post.

Yes, it did. I didn't even get a whisper of an acknowledgement on the related post I put up; everyone was too busy bickering.

sealskin98:
To get off topic (well, not really) I saw something in Coz. a few weeks ago that I haven't ran across before. It was about an inch or two around, about four or five inches long, transparent, and was shaped like a barrel (the wooden keg type but a little longer) and had flares on each end. Had something in the middle that the only way I can describe is like an arrow crab without the legs.

Anyone have any suggestions on what it may have been?

Take a skin...it's the better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Have fun!!!

Ooops, looks like today was Hemlon's leaving day. And I was sooo going to try the "smuggle me in please" thing. :D

sealskin98:
Yes, it did. I didn't even get a whisper of an acknowledgement on the related post I put up; everyone was too busy bickering.

Yeah, well, I apologize for my part in it.

Ditto

James Goddard:
If I see someone in a full suit in Coz, I assume they need thermal protection. If I see them in a skin, I assume they need to protect themselves from their own inibiliaty to stay off the reef.James
James that's kind of harsh...

I dove in PV earlier this month in my 3-5-3mm full suit for several reasons. 1st because I tried my first dive with just my swim suit and got cold at depth. 2nd I got welts in my armpits - I'm assuming that was from some kind of jelly, but I don't know. I react strongly to any kind of bite. 3rd, to me there's nothing worse than getting a bad sunburn on my vacation, so instead of lathering up in sun screen and dumping all that lotion in the water I'd rather just wear a wetsuit, and finally not everybody can afford 5 different suits/skins for every dive environment, so I wore what I had. The 3-5-3mm was way too warm most of the time, and if I had a couple of extra C notes I would have picked up a skin or 1-2mm full suit.

I'm just pointing out that there's more reasons than bad buoyancy to wear a thin suit or skin.

Jerry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom