Just another question I'm hoping someone would be kind enough to answer = )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bermudaskink once bubbled...
That said some of the stuff here is really cool, so I'm sticking around. :thumb:

Glad to hear it. Admitedly, things can get a little heated aroung here, but on the whole, the signal-to-noise ratio is pretty high.

:argue:

I said "4 ft down.... with a 6 ft hose" to give you some extra hose to compensate for slight bending for your position in the water and arching it towards your mouth etc...

And then I corrected myself and reduced the suggested depth to 2ft.

So what is your problem dude?

I am sure the dude who wants the advice doesn't care if he is breathing in 10ft of water or 2ft he just wants to see what it's like. At least that's the impression I got. Read the post again. He says he has a 10ft pool. He didn't say he had to be at that depth.

Nobody is going to endanger themselves from following my suggestion unless they are really stupid and stay under water when they can't breathe.

And please stop putting words in my mouth.

I didn't say it was an original idea either. I know people have tried it before.

And yes I know a lot of folks did die during the modifications of primitive diving bells and suits etc. But nobody (with a fully functioning brain) accidentally died while sitting in 4 ft of water with a hose in their mouth!

To breathe underwater through a narrow tube a person has to displace a volume of water equal to the volume of air they need to breathe in. I made a mistake of saying that this was possible at 4ft. I admitted I was wrong.

I am sure had this not been corrected the guy could have figured it out himself. Who would sit there with a hose in their mouth and try to breathe when it was obviously so laborious that their lungs became damaged??

In my last post I was never trying to argue your point or the laws of physics. I stated originally, after all that "at greater depths it is too hard to breathe". I have read about early diving equipment and thought I had remembered correctly at what depth it becomes too hard to breathe air from the surface. But I was wrong as you pointed out and I apologised. I didn't deserve your last post at all.

;-0

So please take your pointless comments and stick them where the sun don't shine! :peace:

It would be nice if folk like you who reply to threads could be a little more constructive and positive, not to mention POLITE! Being aggressive and patronising and trying to humiliate people for their suggestions and or opinions doesn't achieve anything at all.

So. Less of the Lip! :maniac:

That said some of the stuff here is really cool, so I'm sticking around. :thumb:

Just real quick....

Breathing through a hose of any length other than normal snorkel length is extremely dangerous... even above water.

The longer the hose the more air you have to push out of the hose in order to expel the CO2.

Anything longer than most snorkels will not be long enough for you to discard all the CO2 so what happens is the CO2 builds up you breath harder and faster, and eventually you pass out.

absolutely fatal below water.

1. Even from a depth of 6 feet, a 1 liter breath becomes 180cc's larger. An 18% increase. This is enough to cause overexpansion injuries of any of the air spaces in your body. (Ear, nasal sinus, lungs, etc) and IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS.

2. The idea of a hose will not work, even without the dead air space problem, because your intercostal muscles and diaphragm cannot produce enough force to overcome the water pressure and inhale. Try it for yourself: stand in your pool in water that is just to the top of your head. This will place your chest at a depth of around 2 feet. Try and inhale through your snorkle.

The only way to do this without a compressor (and you will STILL have to worry about expansion) is to place a large bucket over your head and go to the bottom. Even this will only give you a breath or 2 before you lower the O2 below safe levels.

I own a six foot snorkle! We made it out of 3/4" pvc as a fun experiment and to prove several points. It's way fun to watch the kids try and use it in the pool. You breathe in through the mouth and out through the nose, so you don't have to worry about CO2 build-up. I won't tell you how deep they get, but suffice it to say that snorkles are a maximum 18" long for a GOOD reason! :tease: Anyone in the Orlando area is free to try it if they want... under my supervision of course!

As for breathing under water... check your local dive shops for a "Discover Scuba" session in your area. They are usually FREE! I put them on for various Boy Scout Troops and Venture Crews in the area. That way you can try it in a safe and controlled environment and you won't have to spend money on equipment or doctor bills!

Why would one want to sit at the bottom of a pool (at any depth) for extended periods of time???

mgri and sharpenu:

READ ALL THE POSTS BEFORE REPLYING!!!!!! :upset:

I discussed C02 build up and the solution to that. I NEVER said 6 ft down.

I am just laughing so much now :LOL:

Some poor dude wants to see what being under water and breathing at the same time is like cos he is not sure if he will feel comfortable under the water and doesn't want to pay out for an expensive scuba course..... and I talk through the possibilities of inhaling air through a tube (did you actually read my post???) and you guys are like "OMG! what a completely impossible suggestion!" :confused:

Have you actually tried it yourselves (the method that I describe?) Don't be so quick to lash out with such accusations!

Thanks NetDoc for your good points :thumb:

inhaling

AliKat once bubbled...
Why would one want to sit at the bottom of a pool (at any depth) for extended periods of time???

Just possibly his SO is a nagging witch and he wants to escape without getting in more trouble...

mgri and sharpenu:

Some poor dude wants to see what being under water and breathing at the same time is like cos he is not sure if he will feel comfortable under the water and doesn't want to pay out for an expensive scuba course..... and I talk through the possibilities of inhaling air through a tube (did you actually read my post???) and you guys are like "OMG! what a completely impossible suggestion!" :confused:

Have you actually tried it yourselves (the method that I describe?) Don't be so quick to lash out with such accusations!

inhaling
I did actually read your posts and I am not sure what you mean about making acusations, I was just responding to some rather dangerous advice.

I rarely post on stuff like this unless what is proposed is dangerous. Trying to breath through a 6 foot hose is very dangerous no matter what the depth.

CO2 build up is a dangerous reality... I was not trying to burst your bubble.

I was afraid that someone would bring up the obvious work around to the problem of exhaling through your nose because without supervision a few times of forgetting to exhale through your nose can build up CO2 rather quickly.

mgri and sharpenu:

Then in an earlier post, you said:
So please take your pointless comments and stick them where the sun don't shine!

It would be nice if folk like you who reply to threads could be a little more constructive and positive, not to mention POLITE! Being aggressive and patronising and trying to humiliate people for their suggestions and or opinions doesn't achieve anything at all.

So. Less of the Lip!

I was not attacking you, just pointing out that even at 2 feet, breathing through a hose is not practical. My first point had nothing to do with your post, it was just pointing out that there ARE dangers, even on a shallow 6 foot dive. I recently read about a diver who received a PE from a short dive to untangle a boat's prop from a fishing leader.

For the record, you did mention a 4 foot "snorkle-dive". Even at 4 feet, there is nearly 1100 pounds of pressure being placed on an average sized human chest.

Ease up a little, huh?

I agree that this could be extermely dangerous.

The desire to breathe underwater is certainly understandable, we all know this feeling, that's why we became divers.

You are wise for seeking advise before attempting something that unknowingly could cause you serious injury or death.

The "spare air" tank hold just 3 cubic ft of air. It is often referred to as an "emergency air supply", or an "ascent bottle". The spare air hold enough air for a diver to make an ascent (from a reasonable depth) or reach a buddy who has an alternate air source.

If you watch Baywatch, you'll see good ol Mitch swimming down into a shipwreck to save the would be drowning victim. Sometimes he'll dive down more than once, swim through the wreck etc... This could lead people to believe that a "spare air" is like an everlasting gobstopper. My point is that this is unrealistic. Even a seasoned diver, relaxed and efficient with air supply, would have only enough air to last a couple or few minutes.

Descending in a pool (or in any water) adds more to the mix. Proper equalization, and breathing techniques are critical as to avoid an embolism, drowning or inner ear damage.

Surface supplied air compressors use filtration methods that are far beyond the capability of your garage compressor designed to operate tools, and fill tires. Breathing the air from such a system is dangerous. A surface supplied air system also requires a regulator, with prscise pressure settings allowing the user to breathe normally.

Breathing underwater is fun, and exciting. This activity does require some traing however.

As others have stated, the Discover SCUBA experience is an inexpensive oppertunity to give it a try under the supervision of a dive professional. It is a great oppertunity for the whole family.
If it IS free, remember to tip your instructor. Some places charge a small fee. If you like it and sign up for a class within 30 days, your $25-40 can be deducted from the class cost.

I would like to learn to fly a plane. If I only plan to fly at a low altitude, is flight training really nessessary?

Perhaps I could invent a simple plane (like you see in the old black&white footage of pre-Wright bros attempts.

When I was a child, I desperatly wanted to drive a car. What's the big deal for a 12 year old to drive? I'm only gonna go a mile or so down the road.

I make these comments as an analogy, no sarcasm is intended. Just to provoke thought. :)

PS Where do you live? Perhaps I could refer you to someone who could provide discover SCUBA. This program includes a brief lecture followed by a brief lesson. The lesson covers just the very basics of how to breath safely underwater, as well as some other important skills. Then you get to play, under supervision.

Best wishes,

Andrew

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom