Just certified I want gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello all, first post! I just received my PADI OW cert the other day and I'm addicted now! I want to buy my own gear, but it is quite expensive. I have looked in the LDS and that is where it is extremely expensive. I have also researched online and found some packages from Leisure pro.
Sherwood Holiday Package

Oceanic Complete Package

Cressi Open Water Package

I was wondering if you could take a look at these and tell me if they are good or not! If these are no good could you recommend another good package?

Also, would you jump right into AOW or would you do some easy dives on your own first?
Thanks!
I do not know what LDS you went to that you say is expensive vs LP...here in Yonkers NY I have oceanic package on display on the sales floor that beats LP price..most LDS will match online authorized prices. We do AND have our own indoor heated pool 30' from the sales floor for customers to try out their new gear. True as others pointed out the Sherwood package is for a 5 year old bcd that has been sitting in LP all that time, and the wisdom computer is a older model also.So you are buying their stuff that sat there for a longtime.For the age of the stuff you would think it would be cheaper.

I bought used equipment cheap and had the regs serviced before using them. Then, once I was SURE I was not going to lose interest, I started looking around and replacing that equipment with new after having LOTS of time to look around and research each move while still diving regularly. At this point, the only thing I have not replaced with new is my dive computer. I am very happy with the way things worked out for me doing it this way. This may or may not work out for you.

I bought used equipment cheap and had the regs serviced before using them. Then, once I was SURE I was not going to lose interest, I started looking around and replacing that equipment with new after having LOTS of time to look around and research each move while still diving regularly. At this point, the only thing I have not replaced with new is my dive computer. I am very happy with the way things worked out for me doing it this way. This may or may not work out for you.

Where did you buy from?

I am going to go against the grain and NOT recommend a BP/W for you as a new diver, I watched a new guy that got that same advice struggle during his OW cert dives this weekend.

I bought great used gear right off the marketplace here on SCUBAboard, some of it still in the original packaging and everything works great.

But did he get specific instruction in the use of it? That is key for a new diver. If my students choose to buy new gear during training that is what they train in and will get at least one pool session in it before checkouts.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

I just finished my OW in May. Used old scubapro (provided by the LDS) during the class and ended up buying AquaLung package BC/reg/computer. Used it on 4 dives and loved it. breathing was sooo much easier with the new stuff. Even though it is an investment and really do not like the idea of diving with rental stuff that I do not how it is serviced and maintained. I am a control freak so it was worth my piece of mind.

Where did you buy from?

I was on Kauai at the time staying in a condo on vacation. I bought everything I needed from a guy I that was moving to the mainland and had advertised all his dive equipment on Craigslist.

Later I bought my dive computer used off from Ebay and I got the Mares Dragon BCD, that I replaced the one I bought used, brand new off from Ebay for a LOT less than I could find it anyplace else. I bought my new HOG regs from Dive Right in Scuba when they had a great sale on them.

I am sure that many will tell you the way that I did it is just plain WRONG for one reason or another. And, I guess, for them it may be. But I am reallllly happy with the way it worked out for me. The used stuff I got off from craigslist got me through just fine until I was sure I would dive enough to warrant the cost of new equipment, and allowed me plenty of time to not only research what new stuff I wanted to get but to find great deals on all of it. Plus, I still have the perfectly serviceable used equipment I started with as back ups or to give or loan to my sons if/when any of them decide to get certified.

I'm a BIG fan of your local dive shop as they can be a source of information and help, plus if something goes wrong with a piece of gear you can get it serviced. They can put together "packages" for you also. Start out with GOOD but lower-priced gear at first and work your way up to the "top of the line". Go ahead and take the AOW now as it helps hone some specific skills you learned in OW, plus gives you training in others (deep).

I'll bite....
Rent the rest for the first dozen dives. Then see if you want more. You'll save money in the long run.

The problem with that is the amount I would spend on rental that many times I could've bought my own gear!

I just got my certification in the last 2 weeks (c-card in hand now!!) I have driven my husband (he's been certified for several years, nitrox, too) nuts looking at equipment. I looked online at leisure pro. Please read the fine print. On some of the equipment, they stated they are not authorized retailers, so there is no manufacturer's warranty.

I am fortunate to live in Charlotte, NC and there is a Diver's Supply store near me, as well as another store (smaller, but a great staff). Supposed to go again this weekend and look at equipment for me and possible updates on his gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom